Alloa v Dumbarton

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is he? He's on the OS as a defender and for some reason I always had it in my head he was a left-back for some reason.

Not sure why the OS has him as a defender - have only ever seen him play in an advanced midfield role, be that centrally or on the wing.

I'd doubt it. Over the last say, five years, only a handful have made the step up to the squad (I mean properly as in having appeared for the first time at least a handful of times, rather than appearing on the bench once and then disappearing off the face of the earth.

Of those, the most successful has probably been Martin McNiff (at Annan with Jim Chapman the last I knew) or David McNaught, (playing juniors locally as far as I know).

So we've had a few graduates, if you could call it that, but for me if its a choice between continuing to fund U20's and the likes, with the above sort of produce, or boosting the budget for the first team, it's a no-brainier I'm afraid. A shame, but makes business sense and should hopefully improve our chances of staying in what is already a very cut-throat division next year.

I'd doubt it. Over the last say, five years, only a handful have made the step up to the squad (I mean properly as in having appeared for the first time at least a handful of times, rather than appearing on the bench once and then disappearing off the face of the earth.

Of those, the most successful has probably been Martin McNiff (at Annan with Jim Chapman the last I knew) or David McNaught, (playing juniors locally as far as I know).

So we've had a few graduates, if you could call it that, but for me if its a choice between continuing to fund U20's and the likes, with the above sort of produce, or boosting the budget for the first team, it's a no-brainier I'm afraid. A shame, but makes business sense and should hopefully improve our chances of staying in what is already a very cut-throat division next year.

I'd say Nicky Devlin (captain at Ayr) is probably the most successful in recent times. Think Brannan is playing with Kilbirnie and Joe Coleman was with Kilwinning the last I heard.

So aye, overall, it's hardly produced players who would be big assets at this level. 

I'd say Nicky Devlin (captain at Ayr) is probably the most successful in recent times. Think Brannan is playing with Kilbirnie and Joe Coleman was with Kilwinning the last I heard.

So aye, overall, it's hardly produced players who would be big assets at this level.

Fair enough, I'd forgotten about Devlin. He was excellent when he first came through, albeit disappointing in his second spell.

I'm all for youth football in principle, and it does work. It works at certain levels. At our level, I'm not sure. And for us as a club when it comes to either youth football for the club or more funds for the first team in trying to retain Barr/Nade or the likes, then the first team has to be prioritised.

So08's post has made me think...

How many players have come through our youth system and 'made it' in our side? I'm thinking 'made it' as having played at least half-a-dozen games in the first team?

This is off the top of my head, so there'll be more I've missed, feel free to add them.

David McNaught

Kieran Brannan

Nicky Devlin

Martin McNiff

Joe Coleman

Josh Lumsden*

Donald McCallum

*I know Lumsden doesn't strictly meet the criteria I've specified above, but he was our substitute goalkeeper for a fair number of our fixtures in recent years.

There'll be a fair few I've missed I'm sure, but even then, that's not that many so it's understandable to see why it could be said that it's not been a hugely successful investment or venture for the club.

Apologies to the Alloa folks for hijacking this thread with our youth development discussion...

So on to tomorrow. For the first time in a while, I'm looking forward to tomorrow's game without fear or trepidation.

We don't need a result and neither do Alloa. So I'm hoping we can play some good football and, as cliched as it sounds, that the players can maybe play with a bit of freedom and it's a decent contest for both sets of fans.

I wish Alloa all the best for League One next year, they've for the most part come across as decent spuds on here, which can't be said for fans of all clubs in this league. I hope they bounce back, and hopefully we can still be flying the flag for the 'wee' part-time teams in this league when they bounce back.

But that's enough of the niceness, Mon Sons, let's pump this lot etc.

So08's post has made me think...

How many players have come through our youth system and 'made it' in our side? I'm thinking 'made it' as having played at least half-a-dozen games in the first team?

This is off the top of my head, so there'll be more I've missed, feel free to add them.

David McNaught

Kieran Brannan

Nicky Devlin

Martin McNiff

Joe Coleman

Josh Lumsden*

Donald McCallum

*I know Lumsden doesn't strictly meet the criteria I've specified above, but he was our substitute goalkeeper for a fair number of our fixtures in recent years.

There'll be a fair few I've missed I'm sure, but even then, that's not that many so it's understandable to see why it could be said that it's not been a hugely successful investment or venture for the club.

Tony Wallace must have played a reasonable number of games.

Apologies to the Alloa folks for hijacking this thread with our youth development discussion...

So on to tomorrow. For the first time in a while, I'm looking forward to tomorrow's game without fear or trepidation.

We don't need a result and neither do Alloa. So I'm hoping we can play some good football and, as cliched as it sounds, that the players can maybe play with a bit of freedom and it's a decent contest for both sets of fans.

I wish Alloa all the best for League One next year, they've for the most part come across as decent spuds on here, which can't be said for fans of all clubs in this league. I hope they bounce back, and hopefully we can still be flying the flag for the 'wee' part-time teams in this league when they bounce back.

But that's enough of the niceness, Mon Sons, let's pump this lot etc.

Yes, the Alloa posters are a fine bunch, Wasps1 excepted. Like you, I would also hope that we approach this game with some real attacking intent, if only so that we can break our goalscoring duck for 2016 (and slightly before).

The Dumbarton fans on here seem like decent, well-adjusted folk. It's like your parents loved you all, or something.

I knew I'd have forgotten someone!

He could actually be our most successful youth graduate come to think of it!

Now at Nairn County via Broomhill and Queens Park (loan) from Morton.

To think we got money for him. Fantastic.

Allan moore wants booted square in the balls for that one.

The best bit is that looking at your signings that season he was probably in the top 5  :lol:

Edit: Ignore me, I'm talking drivel, he signed the season before the shambles Garry O'Connor, Nacho Novo season.

As you were everyone

Now at Nairn County via Broomhill and Queens Park (loan) from Morton.

To think we got money for him. Fantastic.

That's a shame, really.

While I don't think he was ever going to be as good as a full-time side paying money for him would suggest he was, he was a decent player and at that age, had potential.

And who can forget that goal at Airdrie in the play-odds and the resultant conga that ensued. It's a shame he's out of the senior game at such a young age, but them's the breaks I suppose.

Archived