Billions

Ira Gaines

Taylor is a terrific character - a highlight of the second series. Dake eventually grew on me. The final two installments were excellent, with #11 arguably being the strongest individual episode so far. Giamatti is a class act. 

I binged on Series 1 at a friend's recommendation - and I'm glad that I did so. It's very nicely poised for the third series. 

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still don't like Dake much. 

The stuff they're doing with Ax and Chuck is odd, and I think they're going to have a mutual enemy by the end of the season that slows down, but doesn't end, their tiff. 

They're pointing out certain things about both guys and it tells me that they're leaning towards a grudging partnership over one thing at least.

Recorded the first episode and got as far as the first financial discussion with the two guys in the brightly lit corridor. Didn't follow a word of what they were on about and gave up.
I'd been looking forward to it, but f that chat was a sign of things to come I had to bale out.

As someone who doesn't have a clue about financial trading lingo, i was a bit scared i wouldn't be able to follow it especially during the first couple of episodes, bit stick with it. Even though they talk jargon half the time, the story that develops allows it to be followed very well without really understanding what they're talking about (if that makes sense???)

Still don't like Dake much. 
The stuff they're doing with Ax and Chuck is odd, and I think they're going to have a mutual enemy by the end of the season that slows down, but doesn't end, their tiff. 
They're pointing out certain things about both guys and it tells me that they're leaning towards a grudging partnership over one thing at least.

Re your last point, I've defo thought this is where its heading, at some point they're both going to work together against someone that will benefit them both in different ways.

15 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

As someone who doesn't have a clue about financial trading lingo, i was a bit scared i wouldn't be able to follow it especially during the first couple of episodes, bit stick with it. Even though they talk jargon half the time, the story that develops allows it to be followed very well without really understanding what they're talking about (if that makes sense???)

Re your last point, I've defo thought this is where its heading, at some point they're both going to work together against someone that will benefit them both in different ways.

Something will happen that results in Axe saving Chuck's bacon but I don't know what! 

I also get the feeling that Axe will bang Chuck's wife this season. 

I thought The Wrong Maria Gonzalez was an excellent episode; a proper return to form after the season opener. The end scene was especially good, and a stark reminder of Axe's callousness.

I just had one (small) grumble:

Spoiler

Victor immediately connecting the dots between (the right) Maria's timekeeping and her being questioned just seemed too much of a leap to me. It was too convenient for the plot, and it could certainly have been executed more plausibly. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 17/02/2022 at 23:41, RH33 said:

This series is shite,.given up watching it after second episode.

Agreed, I've persevered longer than you but just not feeling it. They've added too many new characters into this season, and too many conflicting styles also - the episode with the freeze frame dollar totals of net worth of each individual was just daft. 

It's The Office after Steve Carell left.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The first 3 series or so were superb TV, it became less consistent, and overall the recent series is the worst.

If there is any positive to take its that although this series was the worst.. it did get a bit better towards the end.

Wendy as a character has become a joke in the last two series, drop her if continuing.