Macedonia/Albania/Kosovo

DiegoDiego

On 02/05/2022 at 17:07, DiegoDiego said:

So for those reasons I'd definitely advise a couple of days in Gjirokaster if you're down that way and have the time to spare. It's got a long and interesting history, being the birthplace of Hoxha and Kadare, as well as more recently having Europe's largest marijuana plantation nearby. There used to be a cutlery factory there and you can still see fences in the city made of sheet metal with fork, knife, or spoon shapes punched out of them. Albania's full of quirky things like that but you generally need to spend more than a day trip somewhere to discover such things.

Like I said though, I'm not a huge fan of the south coast. If that sort of place does interest you then maybe take my recommendations with some caution.

On the contrary, this is the sort of stuff I want to know.

Promises of beaches and wanting to make it a decent trip for the kids means we're pretty much tied to at least some time on that coast (and to be fair hardly feels like a hardship!) and not spending loads of the holiday in a car. But I'm very much open to basing ourselves in places along the coast that I don't yet know about, and also trips that are a wee bit further afield. If there's somewhere within, say 3ish hours of the coast that would be worth the trek to spend 2-3 days in, then I'd be very interested to hear more tips.