Falkirk v Morton

This will be my first visit to TFS so looking forward to it. We've got an extra £70k to play for so not meaningless but our players seem to be in holiday mode already. Both St.Mirren & Queens have tough games as well so hopefully we can retain 5th.

I also believed that our players were in Maga-mode. However, the game V Hibs tends to indicate otherwise.

The only other explanation is that Hibs are mingin'.... :unsure:

I'm confidently predicting a draw for this one meaning that it's potentially a very tight finish for the coveted second spot, and for 5th. I can see Hibs struggling against Queens and surely Rangers will beat the skunks ?

Disclaimer : when I say confidently predicting... I haven't actually had a penny off the bookies this whole season as a result of my previous confident predictions.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would keep Taiwo where he belongs as a terrier in the middle of the park, I don't think he is pacey enough and does not has the energy to bomb forward add an attacking option.

I think we have to trust Houston to deliver and if he thinks our best option is to play Alston at RB then so be it. The only other natural option we have is Maybury.

Depending on the Hibs score on Wednesday, well have a rough idea what is needed, if we need to win, I'd go all guns blazing early and try to make sure we nick an early goal and then go for a second to give us some breathing space. The worst thing for me is to either play the tippy tappy not panic type of game and hope to make the breakthrough or go a goal up and sit back and invite Morton onto us, that would be a recipe for disaster.

Whatever happens we need to trust the manager, he has done so well for us this year.

I'm sure he will not let us down!

why do fans think teams with nothing or little to play for will just roll over? west brom last night shows teams still try! hibs v Dumbarton tonight, obviously hibs are strong favourites and could if they have a good night score a few but Dumbarton have a chance to get a result and whatever the score it won't be because the Dumbarton players are giving 100% tonight.

people on here (and other threads) saying about teams with nothing to play for, this weekend stick £10 on a coupon with teams with nothing to play for v teams really needing to win and post the receipts on here after that...bookies will be getting hit for millions :P

I'd personally take a 1-0, because I don't see any way that Hibs are going to gain 8 or 9 goals over the span of their two games, so we just need to win to secure second.

I'd bring Finlayson up from the young team rather than Alston at RB again

Maybe Maybury will get a run out after a couple of unusued sub appearances?

I'd also rest Alston who could barely walk at FT on Saturday

Rogers

Finlayson---Muirhead---McCracken---Leahy

Hippolyte-Taiwo-Kerr-Sibbs

McHugh-Miller

Deniz, Gallacher, Alston, O'Hara, Shepps, Baird, Smith

I would keep Taiwo where he belongs as a terrier in the middle of the park, I don't think he is pacey enough and does not has the energy to bomb forward add an attacking option.

I think we have to trust Houston to deliver and if he thinks our best option is to play Alston at RB then so be it. The only other natural option we have is Maybury.

Depending on the Hibs score on Wednesday, well have a rough idea what is needed, if we need to win, I'd go all guns blazing early and try to make sure we nick an early goal and then go for a second to give us some breathing space. The worst thing for me is to either play the tippy tappy not panic type of game and hope to make the breakthrough or go a goal up and sit back and invite Morton onto us, that would be a recipe for disaster.

Whatever happens we need to trust the manager, he has done so well for us this year.

I'm sure he will not let us down!

I can see where you are coming from with Taiwo. Obviously, he's much better in the middle of the park. However for a full back first of all i would like them to be able to defend, something which I don't think Alston is capable of based on the Livingston game and last weeks game. It's not his fault, it's just not his position.

Having Taiwo in at right back would be similar to having Vaulks there. You're not always getting overlapping play with crosses from the byline, but you've got someone who is positionally disciplined and can tackle.

With us shipping two goals a game at the moment I would be concentrating as much as I could on the defence as we haven't scored 3 goals against Morton all season and that's what we need to win games at the moment.

I can see where you are coming from with Taiwo. Obviously, he's much better in the middle of the park. However for a full back first of all i would like them to be able to defend, something which I don't think Alston is capable of based on the Livingston game and last weeks game. It's not his fault, it's just not his position.

Having Taiwo in at right back would be similar to having Vaulks there. You're not always getting overlapping play with crosses from the byline, but you've got someone who is positionally disciplined and can tackle.

With us shipping two goals a game at the moment I would be concentrating as much as I could on the defence as we haven't scored 3 goals against Morton all season and that's what we need to win games at the moment.

Yeah fair points and all valid. Morton are stuffy opposition and will be no pushovers. They are a typical mid table team who score as many goals as they concede.

We may get by with one nil but we'll need to see what we have to do, we will know better tomorrow.

Like most I suspect we will need to win, I don't think Hibs will slip up but equally I don't think they will reduce the GD but stranger things have happened...i think I'll take a spare pair of pants on Sunday😄

A couple of things...I hope we are shooting into the south stand second half because if we need the goal second half we are more likely to get it shooting to our end. Secondly and related it would be good to have an impact sub to come on second half if we need a goal. Impact subs have been mchugh and hippo. I think Miller and Alston can also change games but it's likely all four of these may start my only concern is we are chasing the game with thirty minutes to go, look to the bench and we don't have someone that can lift the crowd. Hopefully this won't be a tense affair and who knows we may get an early goal and put them under pressure for the ninety?

Probably the best way to approach this game is the same way hibs are having to by saying they have to not only win but by several goals. That way we might not have to end up scraping through and hanging on. If the players treated it like we too needed to win 3-0 then we might see a different approach. The danger is you get the one goal and struggle for the game

A couple of things...I hope we are shooting into the south stand second half because if we need the goal second half we are more likely to get it shooting to our end. Secondly and related it would be good to have an impact sub to come on second half if we need a goal. Impact subs have been mchugh and hippo. I think Miller and Alston can also change games but it's likely all four of these may start my only concern is we are chasing the game with thirty minutes to go, look to the bench and we don't have someone that can lift the crowd. Hopefully this won't be a tense affair and who knows we may get an early goal and put them under pressure for the ninety?

Still think O'Hara can be that impact player if those four do start. His pace at the end of the game to stretch their defence will help. That's why I've no issue with McHugh starting.

We should take a leaf out the Barca book, they in the past have played with a false number 9, we perhaps should play with a false no2....!!

One can only hope McCann is fit,like most things football injury related, no one knows much. As much as talk of Alston, Taiwo play there, none of us know if they are fit to play.

I wonder if Lee Miller could play centre half....!

Finlayson at right back if McCann isn't fit, Alston was brutal at right back and we missed him in the midfield. Im guessing muirhead will be in the centre for this.

We are kind of down to the bare bones here, defensively anyway. Watson, McCann, Grant, Vaulks, McGrandles out, McCracken struggling, Muirhead being played out of position. That's like a full defence out of action for the game.

why do fans think teams with nothing or little to play for will just roll over? west brom last night shows teams still try! hibs v Dumbarton tonight, obviously hibs are strong favourites and could if they have a good night score a few but Dumbarton have a chance to get a result and whatever the score it won't be because the Dumbarton players are giving 100% tonight.

people on here (and other threads) saying about teams with nothing to play for, this weekend stick £10 on a coupon with teams with nothing to play for v teams really needing to win and post the receipts on here after that...bookies will be getting hit for millions :P

I'm afraid in our case it's a black mark that'll be forever associated with our club after the debacle at Hamilton two years ago.

I don't expect the same on Sunday- if there's one thing you can say for the current team, they've got far more professional pride than that gang, and still have ambitions to finish as high up the table as possible. However, I expect Falkirk to beat us reasonably comfortably. They've proved over the course of the season that they're a better side and whilst we won't just lie down, their need is greater. You only have to look at Dunfermline's result at Airdrie on Saturday to see that it does happen when one team's got something to play for and another has one eye on the beach.

I don't really think that finishing second is a massive thing in terms of progression in the play offs though. Rangers probably benefitted last season from not sitting about waiting for the first tie to be played. I'd imagine a week or so of twiddling your thumbs isn't exactly a dream scenario for the second placed team.

I think we maybe playing in that new horror show of a strip on Sunday.  

When exactly did this finishing the season in the next seasons kit suddenly become the norm? Its bad enough for fans having to splash out for a kit that only lasts one season and now it doesnt even last that long. 

When exactly did this finishing the season in the next seasons kit suddenly become the norm? Its bad enough for fans having to splash out for a kit that only lasts one season and now it doesnt even last that long.

If you finish each season in next season's kit then each kit lasts a year.

Archived