Well done ed city

Mary Hinge

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I follow the Lowland league from afar, I have always looked for the Spartans or Whitehill results....however, you really have to take your hat off to this Edinburgh City manager and players, the way he has built this squad, then improved the quality of player and performance every year and finally arriving at this point...on the brink of promotion.

East Stirling don't deserve league status anymore, they just trundle along every year, happy to finish bottom, Edinburgh City will have a massive support from many other clubs fans, hopefully the smaller more ambitious club will win in the end.

How ironic would it be if City get promoted then get relegated next season by Spartans, I hope they finish 2nd bottom so that it doesn't happen.

Grimbo

Eta City not Spartans obviously before some smarty pants comes on.

Spartans forum for this pish

"Go on and gain league status?" They only won the first leg of a first playoff. Even if they see off cove I doubt they'll overcome East Stirling, big step up to league two level

I remember from watching Caley in the old days, what you say is true. Beating league sides in the Cup was pretty easy, but playing every week in a faster, more physical league was a challenge.

However I think this is just something for City to treat as a two legged cup tie. Also there's a massive difference between teams at either end of league 2. I think Shire's time is up.

The winner of the Highland/Lowland League playoff should be automatically promoted.  The bottom team in League Two does not deserve a chance to stay up but hopefully things will change in the future.  I really hope that Edinburgh City can go on to win promotion this season.  It's important for the pyramid (as inadequate and incomplete as it may be) to see a non-league team being promoted.  If St. Cuthbert Wanderers are promoted to the Lowland League too then we'd finally start to see some changes between the leagues for the first time.  A step in the right direction for sure.

I went to the playoff against Brora last year and I might go again next week if I have time to get to Meadowbank after the Hearts match.  I'll be on holiday for the East Stirling match (if City do win on aggregate against Cove) but that would be a good one to see.

As said earlier, Edinburgh city would have less time to prepare. Also as a follower of lower leagues (and I've seen a few HL and LL games) the speed of the game seems faster and tougher in league 2

From what I've seen (limited) of SPFL teams over the last couple of seasons, Edinburgh City wouldn't have anything to fret about at all. There's a lot of dross floating about in that bottom division.

Cracking result for City. Not officially over yet but as good as. Hope they come up. A good club with some great guys involved. Plus it will bring a bit of freshness to the league, and a new ground for me to visit too.

Edinburgh City seem a real cut above anything else in the LL/HL at the moment. Don't think they'd have anything to fear coming into L2. I think the level of competitiveness will be the biggest adjustment. There's no 'gimmies' against the likes of Threave. But no doubt EC will be an attractive prospect for a lot of lower league standard players from around Edinburgh so strengthening over the summer if they come up shouldn't be a big problem.

Edinburgh City seem a real cut above anything else in the LL/HL at the moment. Don't think they'd have anything to fear coming into L2. I think the level of competitiveness will be the biggest adjustment. There's no 'gimmies' against the likes of Threave. But no doubt EC will be an attractive prospect for a lot of lower league standard players from around Edinburgh so strengthening over the summer if they come up shouldn't be a big problem.

Annan coped with the leap & that was even bigger at the time. So why not City, I've seen every team in the LL & there's a few that would survive the step up. I bet there's a few from the HL that could do it too.

Grimbo

Wow that's some result for City. I really hope they go up. Hopefully they go up and put in a good effort in L2 and that it encourages the powers to be to introduce straight promotions/relegations to shake up the leagues a bit.

How ironic would it be if City get promoted then get relegated next season by Spartans, I hope they finish 2nd bottom so that it doesn't happen.

Grimbo

Eta City not Spartans obviously before some smarty pants comes on.

Atleast Spartans would have a chance of winning the league if the big team played there trade in league 2 eh Grim :P;)

Archived