The Omelette Thread

Another vote for the Tortilla Espanol. I stick chorizo, potato, onion, red pepper, chilli and spinach in mine.

I've been playing around with ingredients. Potato, onion and red pepper are my go to, though, with a wee bit of salt and pepper and a tonne of oil.

My recipe involves at least 300ml of oil, six eggs and six potatoes. One red pepper, or some fresh spinach (not tinned as this adds too much liquid and hinders the setting process.

Fry the potatoes on a low heat in a prodigious amount of olive oil, add the onions and peppers at the last minutes so they soften but don't burn. While that's happening, beat the eggs very gently (too much air ruins it). When the potatoes are done, drain, and line the pan with a little butter. Turn the heat up high. Add the eggs for one minute, flip (make sure the plate/pan lid is wider than the pan and you hold the pan with your non dominant hand) slide the tortilla back in and heat again for one minute - no more, no less. This gets the cooked outside and slightly softer inside - similar to a soft centred cheese. Allow to cool. Or serve hot, with tomatoes. I like it cold, personally.

A good pan is essential for this.

Edited by Savage Henry

• 3 years later...