Are white settlers to blame for the failure of "indyref"?

dorlomin

Did "indyref" fail because of "white settlers and immigrants?  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's whataboutery to blame old folk or English living in Scotland. Like brexit now, YES didn't make a strong enough case.

Why ? 80% of rukers voted no. There's roughly 450 000 of them. They would have voted no regardless of the arguments.

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/229218-should-we-leave-the-eu/?p=10378839

Clearly there is a fair bit of support for the idea that the Yes campaign failed because of immigrants including "white settlers" only one or two nationalists have said this is a poor way to phrase things.

It was a disgraceful contribution, displaying an intolerance that shows the very worst face of Scottish Nationalism. Thankfully I still believe this sort of shite is a view held only by a minority.

It was a disgraceful contribution, displaying an intolerance that shows the very worst face of Scottish Nationalism. Thankfully I still believe this sort of shite is a view held only by a minority.

"The very worst face of Scottish Nationalism" is still a country mile and a bit short of "the very worst of British Nationalism".

For example, this is how it was reported in New Zealand the day after the referendum:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11328485

How embarrassing.

"It is understood that some of the demonstrators were members of the far-right Scottish Defence League and English Defence League. Flags and banners associated with Glasgow Rangers were also spotted in the crowd."

"Flags and banners associated with Glasgow Rangers were also spotted in the crowd."

"Glasgow Rangers"

"Rangers"

"The very worst face of Scottish Nationalism" is still a country mile and a bit short of "the very worst of British Nationalism".

For example, this is how it was reported in New Zealand the day after the referendum:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11328485

How embarrassing.

"It is understood that some of the demonstrators were members of the far-right Scottish Defence League and English Defence League. Flags and banners associated with Glasgow Rangers were also spotted in the crowd."

"Flags and banners associated with Glasgow Rangers were also spotted in the crowd."

"Glasgow Rangers"

"Rangers"

Written by a Celt ex-pat obviously. ;)

Instructive thread. When I was young I read a book called The Wave as a setwork. It was about an experiment in California where a teacher created an artificial political movement driven by group identity 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wave_(novel)

While it had no real significance many pupils bought into it and bullying of non members became prevalent. 

People wont accept this and they will call me every name under the Sun, but I see much the same thing happening here. We had a blatantly xenophobic comment made. But because it was made by a nationalist it was defended by many. As an experiment I decided to start a thread that criticised it (implicitly) and see the reaction. Almost every comment by nationalists has been to attack me, often to suggest I am mentally unstable for criticising a nationalist over their xenophobia. Pause for a moment and think, it is considered a sign of mental instability to highlight a criticism of xenophobia?

Obviously there will be a deal of huffing and puffing and rewriting what was said. But when you see blatant xenophobia and give it a pass because its "your team", when you feel offended that someone highlights their criticism of it, maybe its time to stop buying into the movement quite so deeply. 

Also of relevance is the German film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wave_(2008_film)

Instructive thread. When I was young I read a book called The Wave as a setwork. It was about an experiment in California where a teacher created an artificial political movement driven by group identity 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wave_(novel)

While it had no real significance many pupils bought into it and bullying of non members became prevalent. 

People wont accept this and they will call me every name under the Sun, but I see much the same thing happening here. We had a blatantly xenophobic comment made. But because it was made by a nationalist it was defended by many. As an experiment I decided to start a thread that criticised it (implicitly) and see the reaction. Almost every comment by nationalists has been to attack me, often to suggest I am mentally unstable for criticising a nationalist over their xenophobia. Pause for a moment and think, it is considered a sign of mental instability to highlight a criticism of xenophobia?

Obviously there will be a deal of huffing and puffing and rewriting what was said. But when you see blatant xenophobia and give it a pass because its "your team", when you feel offended that someone highlights their criticism of it, maybe its time to stop buying into the movement quite so deeply. 

Also of relevance is the German film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wave_(2008_film)

You support Rangers. Your whole club hates Catholics. That's Scotland's problem.

As an experiment I decided to start a thread that criticised it (implicitly) and see the reaction. Almost every comment by nationalists has been to attack me, often to suggest I am mentally unstable for criticising a nationalist over their xenophobia. Pause for a moment and think, it is considered a sign of mental instability to highlight a criticism of xenophobia?

You aren't "attacked" Dorlomin. You're roundly laughed at and derided by all and sundry as a bitter, teary-eyed Labour drone, as evidenced by your utterly pathetic performance during, and after last May's general election.

Further to this, you actively support one of the most bigoted, right wing Scottish football clubs ever shat into existence (twice), so we'll be taking no lessons from you on xenophobia and discrimination, thanks.

You aren't "attacked" Dorlomin. You're roundly laughed at and derided by all and sundry as a bitter, teary-eyed Labour drone, as evidenced by your utterly pathetic performance during, and after last May's general election.

Further to this, you actively support one of the most bigoted, right wing Scottish football clubs ever shat into existence (twice), so we'll be taking no lessons from you on xenophobia and discrimination, thanks.

Absolutely this.

People wont accept this and they will call me every name under the Sun....

All about the dorlomin.

Aye, people might be more willing to engage in your blatant hobby-horsing if it hadn't been for your risible "it's the SNP's fault that the English vote Tory" mental collapse last May. 

You started this hysterical poll to make some point, and the only point you've succeeded in proving is that you're still raging.

You started this hysterical poll to make some point, and the only point you've succeeded in proving is that you're still raging.

Like so very many No voters.

Have there ever been a bigger bunch of sore winners in the history of mankind?

"But... but.... you said once in a generation... But... but... why won't you respect the outcome of the vote... sniff sniff...."

Archived