Are white settlers to blame for the failure of "indyref"?

dorlomin

Did "indyref" fail because of "white settlers and immigrants?  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

And your eager, yielding acceptance of embellished prediction, offered you a clearer vision and displayed a higher personal intellect did it!?

Always good for a laugh Fidey, please don't stop.

An open mind and ambition, maybe.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, nothing wrong with that! Works equally well on either side of the coin.

I'm not sure that even the most fervent unionist can make a case for the most ambitious option being the one that maintains the status quo.

And your eager, yielding acceptance of embellished prediction, offered you a clearer vision and displayed a higher personal intellect did it!?

Always good for a laugh Fidey, please don't stop.

No one ever said Independence would be easy.  Shaping our own destiny, however,  is infinitely preferable to being a Westminster puppet.  Do you not cringe every time yet another indyref promise comes crashing down?

There's absolutely zero embellished prediction involved in my, and I would guess, any independence supporter's reasons for voting Yes.

And I don't even need to look to know that Moonglum25 green dotted you and red dotted me.  He's like an unthinking man's KevtheDee.

No one ever said Independence would be easy. Shaping our own destiny, however, is infinitely preferable to being a Westminster puppet. Do you not cringe every time yet another indyref promise comes crashing down?

There's absolutely zero embellished prediction involved in my, and I would guess, any independence supporter's reasons for voting Yes.

And I don't even need to look to know that Moonglum25 green dotted you and red dotted me. He's like an unthinking man's KevtheDee.

The embellished predications painted a done deal (not just by you) on Currency and our place in the EU to name but two, neither of which had been cemented.

Promises!? do you mean like not building enough British Warships on the Scottish Clyde. One minute the Nats are screaming ''not in our back yard thanks'' the next it's 'Wahh you've stitched us up again'. Make your minds up eh!?

I can't see Red&Greens on my iPad sorry😕

The embellished predications painted a done deal (not just by you) on Currency and our place in the EU to name but two, neither of which had been cemented.

Promises!? do you mean like not building enough British Warships on the Scottish Clyde. One minute the Nats are screaming ''not in our back yard thanks'' the next it's 'Wahh you've stitched us up again'. Make your minds up eh!?

I can't see Red&Greens on my iPad sorry

In what universe were currency and the EU "embellished predictions"?  Both, unless your head zips up the back, would not have been an issue in an iScotland.  And I think, deep down, you know this.

I'm not sure I understand your point re the Clyde.  "Not in our back yards" was mainly attributed to Trident.  But re Clyde shipbuilding, we WERE told that voting No was the only way to safeguard shipbuilding.  And Inland Revenue jobs.  And steelworks.

Panned out well, eh?

Instructive thread. When I was young I read a book called The Wave as a setwork. It was about an experiment in California where a teacher created an artificial political movement driven by group identity

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wave_(novel)

While it had no real significance many pupils bought into it and bullying of non members became prevalent.

People wont accept this and they will call me every name under the Sun, but I see much the same thing happening here. We had a blatantly xenophobic comment made. But because it was made by a nationalist it was defended by many. As an experiment I decided to start a thread that criticised it (implicitly) and see the reaction. Almost every comment by nationalists has been to attack me, often to suggest I am mentally unstable for criticising a nationalist over their xenophobia. Pause for a moment and think, it is considered a sign of mental instability to highlight a criticism of xenophobia?

Obviously there will be a deal of huffing and puffing and rewriting what was said. But when you see blatant xenophobia and give it a pass because its "your team", when you feel offended that someone highlights their criticism of it, maybe its time to stop buying into the movement quite so deeply.

Also of relevance is the German film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wave_(2008_film)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowd_psychology

Archived