Happy Birthday your Maj

Romeo

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think Mozza would do a better job TBH.

He'd like the hours too.

I've heard that his neighbours have oft seen him furiously polishing his crown late at night in preparation for the big day?

I bet the smell of brasso is overwhelming some evenings.

Grimbo

I'm not sure that the BBC should be reporting on mental illness in such a jaunty fashion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36049718

I'm positive if you were to look at every picture of the queen taken over the last 50 years, that fruitloop is going to be lurking somewhere in the background.

I'm not sure that the BBC should be reporting on mental illness in such a jaunty fashion.

Just cannot get my heaqd around royalists, man. See when you see these weird folk waving wee flags on the Mall as she drives past and that, I just feel like an alien watching a primitive civilisation from afar and failing to understand their customs. Even as a kid I found it weird. My mate in primary school used to go to his auntie's after school most days and I'd often tag along for a biscuit (ginger thins for the win!) and remember being morbidly fascinated by the aunt's collection of royal doulton royal family commemorative display plates in the living room, just staring at them confused as to why any person could possibly be a fan of something so patently ridiculous. People are weird.

Most British republicanism is facile.  However, republicans just need to bide their time as when Charlie boy takes the reigns (banter) then the whole institution will come tumbling down.

There's a florist guy in Dumfries does the same thing ( or at least he did if he's still alive )

Absolute nutter!

Slightly ot. but looking at all those old clips got me to wondering if eldest son is not quite the full shilling. Not quite bad enough to be hidden away in a tower in an iron mask but not considered fit to ever be ceo.?

Maybe why the auld yin keeps going?

I can mind being in Braemar during the Highland games in 2009. I remember it was the same weekend Scotland beat Macedonia (Brown launched a passback of the defender)

Anyways, my pals parents had a house in Braemar we took off them for a weekend on the piss at the games and to get away. One local took great offence at us for not turning to face the queens procession as it came through the town as we were still fixated on the football.

It was probably the first time I'd met a proper lunatic Royalist.

I don't mind the Royal family. They are our celeb family. The UK's answer to the Kardashians.

There are worse things going on in Britain.

But like most intense fans groups, Royalists are weird. They take the celeb worship thing way too far.

I really don't know how someone can have such a low opinion of themselves that they decide to adore a corrupt system and a family who do nothing other than sponge of public funds and own billions of pounds worth of property. I can understand celebrity worship if its a musician or sportsperson who has brought you personally great happiness but acting like this in adoration for an un elected head of state is basically Stockholm syndrome. 

Or No voters acting like c***s.

Just cannot get my heaqd around royalists, man. See when you see these weird folk waving wee flags on the Mall as she drives past and that, I just feel like an alien watching a primitive civilisation from afar and failing to understand their customs. Even as a kid I found it weird. My mate in primary school used to go to his auntie's after school most days and I'd often tag along for a biscuit (ginger thins for the win!) and remember being morbidly fascinated by the aunt's collection of royal doulton royal family commemorative display plates in the living room, just staring at them confused as to why any person could possibly be a fan of something so patently ridiculous. People are weird.

This.

For me the question comes down to us even pretending we want equality or human dignity in the world.

I find Royalists odd as when I encounter one I find myself wondering if they have children themselves (obviously not in the case of that woman in that BBC link. I doubt anyone other than her mother has seen her fanny). 

But for anyone that does have children, Cast your mind back to the first time you held any one of them in your arms. Think about what it was like to look down into their eyes and feel their little hand grasp your finger. At that point you have no idea what their future will be, no idea what challenges and successes they'll have in their lives.

You'll have been in a confused state; most likely a mix of love, pride, happiness, and hope foor their future.

At that exact point, at the point where you looked on your child for the first time, your child was not as important as Prince William was at the same time in his life. That's what monarchy means. It means everyone not being born equal, not having the same freedom and potential to become whatever they want. There are enough inequalities in the world without adding nonsense like this.

I'm no militant republican. I don't hate the Royals, and I don't want any ill for them. I just think that the entire concept is abhorrent and insane. "C*nt" is a strong word, but when you get down to what royalty means, anybody that supports them basically agrees with a system in which a baby Royal is of more worth than your child.

I personally think that's a bit c*ntish.

Archived