Happy Birthday your Maj

Romeo

I've just discovered this thread so I'll gie my tuppence worth.

FtQ and a' who sail in her.

Some o' you c**ts are talking about a democracy and a monarchy in the same sentence.

When was the last time we had a referendum on disposing of these leeches?

I believe that the last emperor of China ended up as a gardener.

Is that c**t Charlie no a keen gardener.

Did he no used tae talk tae the flowers?

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I reckon it would be a good laugh to shag the Queen. Firstly just imagine her posh sex noises. Also it would be like shagging a letter

You are a thoroughly disturbed individual. 

Our constitutional monarchy has delivered a stable, mature and successful democracy for almost 1/3rd of a millennium.  It has, of course, imperfections and also has a sell-by date as the political/religious/inheritance aspects of it become less relevant but it works and has done for many generations.

Would our democracy have demonstrably been less stable without the royals?

Who knows and who the f**k cares?

And of course they're wrong.

Oh, ok.  So Britain hasn't been a stable, secure, successful country since we established constitutional monarchy in 1688?

Aye, that was a fantastic, well functioning and mature democracy we had in the 1700s.

And the 1800s

Oh I missed the fanny who compared us to Germany.  What desperate stuff from these posters, though.

Edited to add - it was that auld Arab pensioner.  Strange things seem to happen in Dundee.

^^^^ back on the electric soup.

Tediously predictable and anodyne.  Not that anyone is surprised.

its been pretty stable at ensuring the elitist entitled landed gentry are well looked after at the expense of the poor yes.

Not only dross but overwhelmingly stupid.

Britain's constitutional settlement has been proven to be successful.  Now I'm very content that it can be improved but absolutely no one has said anything sensible other than the usual tired old tropes.

Tediously predictable and anodyne. Not that anyone is surprised.

Not only dross but overwhelmingly stupid.

Britain's constitutional settlement has been proven to be successful. Now I'm very content that it can be improved but absolutely no one has said anything sensible other than the usual tired old tropes.

Including yourself - the usual desperate protestations of British glory being used to efface deference to the aristocracy's privileged position within the country's political system. Britain's constitutional arrangement patently hasn't "proven to be successful" given the resistance there has been and continues to be to the way power is wielded. As I said in another thread, the executive power wielded by the inhabitants of parliament virtually unchecked due to a Head of State whose hands are constitutionally tied underpin everyone's complaints about MPs, PMs and the Lords. The royals are on exactly the same gravy train as politicians, but not only do they get a free ride, they get adulation and strange claims that everything is just dandy - there can be absolutely nothing rotten in the state of GB when it comes to discussing the position of the Windsor family.

With respect, your attitude to "the system" and the actual history behind it seems to be naive at best, bewilderingly childish at worst. The fact that we still have a royal family breeding us pedigree heads of state (a creepy system that, objectively, looks like something out of Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery") isn't behind any "stability" the UK has enjoyed (which still looks on a shaky peg given the rise in opposition to it even remaining a state), it's a product of if. The royals continue to enjoy power and influence because as a people we've been reluctant to indulge in violent anarchy - stability comes from the people of a country, not from a small number of individuals having a position at the top of society.

Oh, ok.  So Britain hasn't been a stable, secure, successful country since we established constitutional monarchy in 1688?

You're shifting the goalposts by dropping a word:

Our constitutional monarchy has delivered a stable, mature and successful democracy for almost 1/3rd of a millennium. 

Was Britain a democracy in 1688 (ignoring the fact it didn't exist as a political entity until 1707), or at any point in the 17th, 18th or 19th centuries?

That isn't what monarchists claim.  Our constitutional monarchy has delivered a stable, mature and successful democracy for almost 1/3rd of a millennium.  It has, of course, imperfections and also has a sell-by date as the political/religious/inheritance aspects of it become less relevant but it works and has done for many generations.

it's hardly our royal family that have allowed this that's like saying they've caused the sun to rise every morning too, the two are unrelated.

The excuses craven monarchists one up with to defend their fawning sycophancy are hilarious. I wonder how other countries have managed.

ftq

I

Archived