Motherwell vs Hearts

Impressed at Hearts, rubbishy at Motherwell?

He's the anti Sutton

I was delighted when he signed as I've always rated him as a player but I've been distinctly underwhelmed so far. He's not been abysmal or anything but he just seems to be a poorer version of Keith Lasley :) He's been fine as a stop gap when Pearo has been out but I'd be concerned if we tried to sign him permanently... 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the last two home games of the season, the club have reduced the price but also increased the value of the Family Ticket.

For the matches against Hearts this Saturday (23rd April) and St Johnstone (7th May), the ‘Family’ ticket for all areas of the ground will be the same as the regular adult price of £23/19.

In addition, we have extended the terms to allow up to two Juveniles (15 and under) to enter under that ticket, as opposed to the standard one.

So a parent and two kids can watch either game for as little as £6.33 each in the East Stand and £7.66 each in the other three stands (including away stands).

‘Well boss Mark McGhee said: “We want as many people as possible along to roar on the players for these last vital two home games.

“We’ve achieved a lot over the last few months, but I am determined to try and finish the campaign off on a positive note as we build for next season.

“Sure, European football won’t be available for us, but finishing fourth would be a major achievement and would boost the club financially. We’re in a three-way fight to get it, so if you can make it along, join us for one or both these matches and get right behind the lads.â€

I was delighted when he signed as I've always rated him as a player but I've been distinctly underwhelmed so far. He's not been abysmal or anything but he just seems to be a poorer version of Keith Lasley :) He's been fine as a stop gap when Pearo has been out but I'd be concerned if we tried to sign him permanently... 

Exactly my thoughts.  I'm amazed at how many times he gets caught on the ball.  It could be understandable if he was new to the league/country, but he's been here for a number of years, so you'd think he'd be used to the pace by now.

Connor Ripley making a save against Celtic and then Gomis trying to pass the ball back to him, while Ripley was still lying on the ground, was a particular lowlight of his time so far...

I think if he were to stay he'd get better as he would get more familiar with his team mates, but I wouldn't be too sorry to see him return to Hearts. 

Exactly my thoughts.  I'm amazed at how many times he gets caught on the ball.  It could be understandable if he was new to the league/country, but he's been here for a number of years, so you'd think he'd be used to the pace by now.

Connor Ripley making a save against Celtic and then Gomis trying to pass the ball back to him, while Ripley was still lying on the ground, was a particular lowlight of his time so far...

I think if he were to stay he'd get better as he would get more familiar with his team mates, but I wouldn't be too sorry to see him return to Hearts. 

100%. It's not only him getting caught on the ball it's the fact that he seems to actively invite pressure on himself I find remarkable, trying to roulette by players on the edge of the box. He's clearly a very decent footballer in a technical sense but we're hardly a team blessed with pace in the defensive areas of the park so the manner (and areas) in which he concedes possession and gets caught out leaves us really exposed.

Does he not still have another year on his contract with Hearts anyway? Given he came in just after we lost out on Grimshaw I've always had the feeling that he was only ever viewed as being a stopgap until the end of the season rather than someone we'd be looking at long term.

He's the most composed player in the league anyway but he just doesn't have the energy he used to. Him and Buaben at United used to over run teams but not anymore. He is still a decent player at this level.

If his wages were relatively low I'd be happy to keep Gomis but he'd be a high earner so no thanks

I don't think most Hearts fans will find these Gomis reports particularly surprising, given that he often got caught on the ball in the Championship, particularly towards the end of the season. He started this season well but it seemed to affect his form when his dad died in September, which was a real shame.

He's still good enough for this level anyway and if Motherwell don't take him then I'm sure another Premiership team will (unless he goes back to Dundee United for a third spell).

Playing an experienced, skilful, technical player who can't run like he used to isn't necessarily a bad idea but you do need enough youthful energy around them to deliver the mobility they won't.

Agreed - problem is that he's playing with Las - so that isn't ideal to say the least.

Haven't had the chance to listen to the pre-match press conference.  What's the team news?

Is Pearson fit?  Should be a straight swap with Gomis if so.  If not, I'd assume Leitch will come in.

What about Cadden - is he now a fully fledged first team player, or is there a thought of leaving him out to play in the Youth Cup final on Wednesday?

Haven't had the chance to listen to the pre-match press conference.  What's the team news?

Is Pearson fit?  Should be a straight swap with Gomis if so.  If not, I'd assume Leitch will come in.

What about Cadden - is he now a fully fledged first team player, or is there a thought of leaving him out to play in the Youth Cup final on Wednesday?

Pearson and Laing aren't ready apparently. More likely to be looking at the Aberdeen game for them being back.

Cadden would be playing I'd think. He's not played for the 20s since he made the step up so I can't him being left out. In fairness the 20s have a pretty settled midfield at the moment anyway with Turnbull, Campbell, Leitch and MacLean in there.

Hall was playing in the 20s 3-1 win vs Dundee on Tuesday there so I'd think he'll be on the bench and Kennedy will keep his place.

Is Gomis eligible to play? I thought we'd have a clause stopping him facing us, but the Evening News seems to suggest he's available.

I believe it's a SPFL rule now where loan players can't play against their parent clubs. It used to be what was stated in the contract.

Archived