St Cuthbert Wanderers

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

better to be a big fish in a small pond than a small fish in a big pond i think their attitude will be but i could be wrong 

St Cuthberts are clearly playing the system/using deception/underhand tactics, call it what you will to firstly avoid meeting the criteria/deadline for submitting the Club Licensing information so they do not have to play in the LL next season. The fact they will submit this before the Scottish Cup deadline (if they require to do that, as SOSL winners they may not need to) is really another poke in the eye to the SFA and their Pyramid system. If St Cuthberts get away with this, whats to stop other teams with a license who win the league, deliberately not pass or maintain their yearly License check to stop them having to go in to playoff or LL. Makes it a farce. Extend their date to meet  license criteria so they have no option but to either join LL or forfeit Scottish Cup Place. No action from SFA sets precedence for future years . Whats to stop Wigtown or Threave, if either were to win the SOSL next season, deliberately letting their license lapse/fail to meet criteria thus avoiding any potential playoff for entry to LL.

Calm doon, what is the problem with clubs not wanting to live beyond their means and get involved in a league whereby they are unable to fulfil fixtures (Threave this season)

There is no harm done in remaining where they are....what is wrong with trying to consolidate and even improve standards.

W & B could not sustain the financial or travelling demands , so why should Saints ?

The problem is that there is now a pyramid and clubs who win titles are expected to take promotion /participate in a play-off.

What appears to be very underhand and deceitful tactics- i.e. briefing the national media that the club is just a Glasgow toilet block away from licensing and full steam ahead for the LL, whilst actually planning all along to refuse to take the step up, is very poor indeed.

would hope the club are banned from next season's Scottish Cup if this is all true and secretly they have had no intention of joining the LL all along. Brora were threatened with dire consequences from the SFA last year when they appeared to question the new pyramid play off. Don't see why St. Cuthbert should be any different in the even they do renege on LL application by jockeying paperwork.

Calm doon, what is the problem with clubs not wanting to live beyond their means and get involved in a league whereby they are unable to fulfil fixtures (Threave this season)

There is no harm done in remaining where they are....what is wrong with trying to consolidate and even improve standards.

W & B could not sustain the financial or travelling demands , so why should Saints ?

W and B could not live or compete in the LL, fact ! Threave, fair play to them have tried, and failed for various reasons, financial and unable to attract the quality of players required from what I am led to believe. The point I am trying to make is that if Saints, or whoever dont want to go in to LL, they should not be forced in to it. Saints have indicated all season they would be going to LL should they win League. Why miss-lead their fans, the league,the SFA,  their players and other clubs if they were not serious.  They were to have their license weeks ago but have decided to stay in SOSL. They are doing this by holding back what is required for licensing but will submit it after the deadline. Why should they bend the rules then still expect to play in the Scottish Cup. If they get away with it, it leaves it open to abuse in future years.

The problem is that there is now a pyramid and clubs who win titles are expected to take promotion /participate in a play-off.

What appears to be very underhand and deceitful tactics- i.e. briefing the national media that the club is just a Glasgow toilet block away from licensing and full steam ahead for the LL, whilst actually planning all along to refuse to take the step up, is very poor indeed.

would hope the club are banned from next season's Scottish Cup if this is all true and secretly they have had no intention of joining the LL all along. Brora were threatened with dire consequences from the SFA last year when they appeared to question the new pyramid play off. Don't see why St. Cuthbert should be any different in the even they do renege on LL application by jockeying paperwork.

Great post ! They have miss-lead everyone all season including the Licencing Commitee and the SFA. They had it in print in the nationals they were a toilet block away, nothing else. Suddenly they cant make the deadline. Why ?? Happy to buy/pay the better players in the South but have bottled it about going to LL. Actually makes league and SFA a laughing stock if they get away with it IMO.

Rumour has it if St Cuthbert Wanderers join the Lowland League players will leave so who is running this club? The Commitee or the players!!

Its not a rumour, its a fact J and V. The SFAs vision of the Pyramid system in play was that the bottom team in the LL would be relegated (Threave) and the winners of the SOSL and EOSL would play of for promotion to LL should they be Licensed. To say you are going to LL as you were going to have your license in place long before end of season (as there was no play of due to EOS club not having license) is miss-leading at best, deceptive and not honest/sporting at worst. With regards to the players dictating what league they play in its a clear case of the tail wagging the dog. Needs addressed by SFA or turns farcical.

If  the accusations on here are true, think the SFA (if they are aware of this) have no option but to carry out an investigation. If St Cuthberts are found to be "guilty" of underhand behavior,  think the SFA have no option but to sanction the club. If they dont, it makes the Pyramid system and the SFA vision look worthless. Another post suggested extending the date for Club Licensing cut off date. This would work with St Cuthberts having to do what the pyramid system is set up to do, league winners getting promoted and bottom placed clubs getting relegated.

I'll be clear- I really hope the rumours are wrong and that this is a wasted discussion. I always enjoy seeing St. Cuthberts in the cup every year, and think the club would be a great addition to /expansion of the LL.

If it's true that players are unwilling then rebuild the squad, as most part time clubs have to do over the summer anyway. Plenty of youngesters who have been freed at this time of year would absolutely take the chance to try and play at this level with a well established club.

In the event that the rumours are true then they should be thrown out next season's cup at the very least.

What if it's just that the toilet block hasn't arrived yet? And so what if they are delaying things? Maybe the manager genuinely believed they'd b going up?

I'm sure Geordie Grierson resigned from Newton Stewart having been mis sold that they were aiming for the lowland league but have made no progress. Kevin twaddle was quoted as saying they were going for it despite no obvious progress being made by LTHV. Talbot get SFA "handouts" (prize money)every year and no excuse for not having a licence. Haddington still haven't built their fence and toilets, are we going to start accusing them of deliberately delaying it?

Truth is that Scottish football is so disjointed that you can't blame clubs for being cautious. Once the whole system is sorted out then start punishing teams for not progressing then

nah.

the system is in place and in this case there really is no excuse for "caution". It's not like the Lowland League is a brand new competition. It's been up and running for three years and just seen its first member progress into League Two.

If every club runs on the basis of "caution" then the pyramid won't develop at all.

I'll be clear- I really hope the rumours are wrong and that this is a wasted discussion. I always enjoy seeing St. Cuthberts in the cup every year, and think the club would be a great addition to /expansion of the LL.

If it's true that players are unwilling then rebuild the squad, as most part time clubs have to do over the summer anyway. Plenty of youngesters who have been freed at this time of year would absolutely take the chance to try and play at this level with a well established club.

In the event that the rumours are true then they should be thrown out next season's cup at the very least.

For someone who hopes the rumours are untrue you certainly have done your bit to keep them going!!!

For someone who hopes the rumours are untrue you certainly have done your bit to keep them going!!!

St.Cuthberts have done more than most to keep the rumours going 'info',there's nothing came out of the club for weeks on this,what are they doing?

again, nah.

I am commenting on what others have said and proposed my own solutions.

not "rumour mongering".

I;ve said my piece and we'll wait to see what reality faces the league in early June.

http://www.dgnews-sport.co.uk/?art=4603&page=home&title=THREAVE+BACK+IN+THE+SOUTH+-+SAINTS+WON%27T+BE+GOING+UP

Confirmation that threave and st cuthbert wanderers will both be in south league next season

So it's the lack of a license that is oh so close to being granted that has been used to keep Saints where they are. Oh well we move on and onto the 3 applicants who want to join the LL,so it will be 2 new teams not one joining now. I hope and pray that Saints don't miraculously get their licence too quick now or theirs gonna be plenty of finger pointing!!

So it's the lack of a license that is oh so close to being granted that has been used to keep Saints where they are. Oh well we move on and onto the 3 applicants who want to join the LL,so it will be 2 new teams not one joining now. I hope and pray that Saints don't miraculously get their licence too quick now or theirs gonna be plenty of finger pointing!!

Surprise Surprise ! Worst kept secret in D and G. Saints not going to LL. To use the "we dont have our Licence yet" is pathetic. They have spouted of all season they would be ready for Club licencing should they win league and would go to the LL as promoted Champions. They have deliberately held back on the Licence so they DONT have to get promoted. Cant think that the SOSL, the LL and the SFA can be happy with this outcome.Do they still get to play in the Scottish Cup with its payments ? Bit underhand to say the least. Sad state of affairs. Threave desperate to come down and Saints desperate not to go up !

Surprise Surprise ! Worst kept secret in D and G. Saints not going to LL. To use the "we dont have our Licence yet" is pathetic. They have spouted of all season they would be ready for Club licencing should they win league and would go to the LL as promoted Champions. They have deliberately held back on the Licence so they DONT have to get promoted. Cant think that the SOSL, the LL and the SFA can be happy with this outcome.Do they still get to play in the Scottish Cup with its payments ? Bit underhand to say the least. Sad state of affairs. Threave desperate to come down and Saints desperate not to go up !

I can't remember the figure but it's between a 50-100% reduction in prize money for being unlicenced. Should find out which clubs are excluded at the end of June when the sfa release next year's format. Might also be a licencing update in the next week prior to the lowland agm as this happened last year with the colts

Archived