The long slow deterioration of Celtic PLC

Deila has made some very questionable signings, this season especially, Kazim-Richards, Carlton Cole.. Where has he disappeared to actually?

Delia doesn't make the signings, neither did Lennon etc. The papers seem to pick up on Levein signing players at Hearts, at least we know who's doing it! Celtic seem to have someone signing players a Delia is left to train them.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like Celtic to end it's PLC status and become fully member owned. It should be a not for profit, with all surpluses invested back into the club in the interests of its members. The club should exist for one purpose, sporting endeavour. Not stakeholder dividends. And the members would have a semblance of a say on the strategic direction of the club.

The disconnect which has ripped the heart out of Celtic is the fact that it no longer a club in the true sense. It is a cold, hard, soulless corporate entity run by people who do not care about football or the ethos of the club.

That's an interesting concept. One thing you don't mention is the charitable origins of your club. If you were to incorporate that and prioritise it, I think it would capture the imagination and support of a significant number of your fans as it's a fan base who seem to see something idealistic about the club as well as loving all concepts foreign lately.

Two big problems: The guaranteed and vast reduction in silverware reduces that significant number of fans to an at best, decent number.

It would also be almost impossible to implement without a financial crisis at the club given the number of shareholders you have and the reserves of capital they have uninvested and that, for now anyway, it's a profitable business.

So that leads me to wonder if an 'FC Celtic United' call-it-what-you-will type club could be in the offing. There has neve been a better time given the easy access to a pyramid structure.

That's an interesting concept. One thing you don't mention is the charitable origins of your club. If you were to incorporate that and prioritise it, I think it would capture the imagination and support of a significant number of your fans as it's a fan base who seem to see something idealistic about the club as well as loving all concepts foreign lately.

Two big problems: The guaranteed and vast reduction in silverware reduces that significant number of fans to an at best, decent number.

It would also be almost impossible to implement without a financial crisis at the club given the number of shareholders you have and the reserves of capital they have uninvested and that, for now anyway, it's a profitable business.

So that leads me to wonder if an 'FC Celtic United' call-it-what-you-will type club could be in the offing. There has neve been a better time given the easy access to a pyramid structure.

Is there any apetite for this among Celtic fans?  I think most Celtic fans want a better team, more success, better form in Europe not some sort of phoenix club, with a halo of purity.

The successful phoenix clubs have resulted from either a club going bust (Chester, Newport or Aldershot) or from a serious schism with the clubs management (AFC Wimbeldon or FC United).  Neither factor are present at Celtic.

I remember when Rangers went into liquidation thinking that their fans could go down the phoenix club route but I don't think fans of huge clubs like the Old Firm are really interested in building something from the ground up.  Maybe they don't have the same connection that fans of smaller clubs do, the same access to the board and staff that you get at a smaller organisation.

A wee bump for this thread - article in the Observer today by Kevin McKenna touches on a lot of points raised in this thread

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/apr/24/glasgow-rangers-celtic-scottish-football

"Ours is a rivalry based on culture, politics, ethnicity and faith."

Not football then? Rare admission.

WOW.....just read the first page of posts & that was enough. Not often I agree with the Aberdeen fans on here but they made the most sense on those first few comments...for a wee change.

How can this guy blame the fans? The glory hunters are not the ones turning up....the glory hunters are the ones who only turn up for the big games. If you want to point fingers then look at the ones who moan 'we've got to spend some real money' but who won't turn up and put the 'real money' in.

I often moan about the Aberdeen, Hearts & Hibs fans who come out the woodwork for cup finals...40,000 to a final, 100,000 for a trophy parade...attendances then ranging from 9,000-16,000 & they moan they can't compete with us financially. No-one to blame but themselves in my opinion. However that same argument applies to us when it comes to buying better players to entertain and to make a dent in European competitions. It's no good just turning up and selling the ground out for the big European games.

You want a good Celtic team then fucking turn up and fund it and don't have a go at the guys who do put their money in.

WOW.....just read the first page of posts & that was enough. Not often I agree with the Aberdeen fans on here but they made the most sense on those first few comments...for a wee change.

How can this guy blame the fans? The glory hunters are not the ones turning up....the glory hunters are the ones who only turn up for the big games. If you want to point fingers then look at the ones who moan 'we've got to spend some real money' but who won't turn up and put the 'real money' in.

I often moan about the Aberdeen, Hearts & Hibs fans who come out the woodwork for cup finals...40,000 to a final, 100,000 for a trophy parade...attendances then ranging from 9,000-16,000 & they moan they can't compete with us financially. No-one to blame but themselves in my opinion. However that same argument applies to us when it comes to buying better players to entertain and to make a dent in European competitions. It's no good just turning up and selling the ground out for the big European games.

You want a good Celtic team then fucking turn up and find it and don't have a go at the guys who do put their money in.

Stop using '............' to separate your points/sentences.

A wee bump for this thread - article in the Observer today by Kevin McKenna touches on a lot of points raised in this thread

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/apr/24/glasgow-rangers-celtic-scottish-football

Kevin's problem, and the problem facing the likes of the Green Brigade, is that the Celtic board are neither 'dysfunctional' nor 'incompetent'.

You want a good Celtic team then fucking turn up and fund it and don't have a go at the guys who do put their money in.

Stop with your drivel.

The disparity in resources is not down to gate receipts.  It runs much deeper than that into tv money commercial income that comes with you being one of the "old firm".

Davie, it takes a lot for Celtic fans to turn their backs, I know it did for me.

Fans like you care about nothing other than winning wee shiny cups and getting to shout "yaaaaay" at the end of a season.

You'd let the board sign Barry Ferguson as manager as long as we squeaked home in the league and won some other shiny cups.

What is it then?

It's simple, he wants 'transformational change', sack the board, no more 'shiney wee cups', less fans, but a better standard of football on the pitch. This cannot be solely achieved with just a new manager, oh no! And he wants it now!!

In all seriousness, Celtic have been poor value for money this season, it's not entirely about success, that's why fans are bored to death in a 'soulless stadium'. We've only lost 3 games all season, however it's the manner in which we've went about it that's frustrating.

I've supported Celtic long enough to understand this is not a crisis, it's just football, peaks & troughs, good and bad!

Everything about the club is decaying. Even in the business side, just look at the brand, how tired and outdated it is.

The Celtic shops are really poor and I'll be surprised if they are washing their face never mind making a profit. The one at Glasgow airport is an embarrassment, really shabby and just full of utter tat that nobody buys.

Lawwell has hung on with the perform and if the PLC as a business. I don't think that bears scrutiny and it is long past time for new leadership.

Archived