The long slow deterioration of Celtic PLC

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've not lurked occasionally enough to know these particular posters but I have lurked enough to get that people will be accused of being aliases.

On this occasion you have nothing to fear. I simply had a couple of glasses or red wine last night and this seems to have led me to finally register.

Merlot from the fridge. Sheamus found.

All these selection of the finest celtic supportong minds to come together and get discussing their ideas deep into the night and you can almost guarantee what their brainstorm is going to conclude with , signing a Celtic minded manager with an Irish Catholic background being preferable but not essential

All these selection of the finest celtic supportong minds to come together and get discussing their ideas deep into the night and you can almost guarantee what their brainstorm is going to conclude with , signing a Celtic minded manager with an Irish Catholic background being preferable but not essential

Martin O'Neill for me. Let him build a new team with Griffiths as the talisman.

I think a big part of Celtic problem is that the fans, players and the board have developed an arrogance that means they think all they should need to do is turn up.

As someone said earlier in this thread, they took a risk with Deila in terms of changing approach. For it to work, I think it would have required everyone to buy in. Instead, you had players that liked the comfort zone of the Lennon regime being unwilling to change their approach, fans who aren't happy at the prospect of short term pain for long term gain, and a board who really did not back the manager in terms of bringing in players who will fit with what he is trying to do.

All in all it is a bit of a clusterfuck and it will take a good appointment to sort it out. Deila will take the majority of the blame but Dermott Desmond, Peter Lawwell, John Park and 5 or 6 of the senior players are equally as culpable.

I won't be back until Peter Lawwell is gone.

You know that Lawwell is an employee like any other and his continued presence is down to the board of directors believing he is doing his job well enough?

Get rid of Lawwell and they will replace him with someone they expect to do the same job.

You know that Lawwell is an employee like any other and his continued presence is down to the board of directors believing he is doing his job well enough?

Get rid of Lawwell and they will replace him with someone they expect to do the same job.

That's a simplistic way of looking at it. I know what you are saying, but Lawwell is influential and plays a large part in setting the tone at Celtic. 

It's entirely possible that whoever replaced him would be as much as of a p***k, but I doubt it and would be willing to give a new person a chance.

That's a simplistic way of looking at it. I know what you are saying, but Lawwell is influential and plays a large part in setting the tone at Celtic. 

It's entirely possible that whoever replaced him would be as much as of a p***k, but I doubt it and would be willing to give a new person a chance.

It's not simplistic. The board employ Lawwell to do the job they feel needs to be done. If the same board that feel Lawwell is doing a good job remain in place, they will likely employ someone just like Lawwell.

It's not simplistic. The board employ Lawwell to do the job they feel needs to be done. If the same board that feel Lawwell is doing a good job remain in place, they will likely employ someone just like Lawwell.

There is nobody just like Lawwell. Lawwell is not just someone who is employed by the board. He is of the board, an executive member of it. And not only that, he heads the board as Chief Executive.

There is nobody just like Lawwell. Lawwell is not just someone who is employed by the board. He is of the board, an executive member of it. And not only that, he heads the board as Chief Executive.

Perhaps I put that across incorrectly. He is there under appointment by the guys who own the company. Guys like Dermott Desmond, James Keane and Chris Trainer. They are the folk who have real influence on things. If they did not want Lawwell in place, they would ensure he was removed.

Perhaps I put that across incorrectly. He is there under appointment by the guys who own the company. Guys like Dermott Desmond, James Keane and Chris Trainer. They are the folk who have real influence on things. If they did not want Lawwell in place, they would ensure he was removed.

I believe they owned the club with previous Chief Execs who were less odious that Lawwell.

I believe they owned the club with previous Chief Execs who were less odious that Lawwell.

He replaced the last one in 2003. If they don't think he is doing a good job, they have taken their time in deciding that.

I can see what previous posters are saying about Peter Lawell - he's undeniable a hugely influential person and is in effective charge of the club.  However, he's an employee and the shareholders want him there, they've clearly given him a job to do and he's doing it to their satisfaction.  It's not like Romanov at Hearts or even the old Celtic board with the Kellys and the Whites - this guy is an employee like Delia or Lennon and if you sack him your going to get someone who might not be as good.

For the last four years all they've only cared about Rangers while ignoring their own club, every recent Celtic agm has been about Rangers while the Celtic board got an easy ride.

The sheep have been improving and gradually building confidence over the last few years, can they go further?

Arts have the makings of a good team and should be in there again next season.

Rangers should be in amongst those teams and with a few more players brought in, hopefully hit the ground running like arts did.

Could we have a four way fight for the league?

Archived