2016 Scottish Cup Final - Hibernian FC v Rangers

Bambino7

As a Celtic fan I booked the weekend off work in advance thinking we'd be in the final, obviously that never happened so decided to go to Edinburgh with some Celtic/Thistle supporting mates for the day. Sadly none of them were interested in watching the game, so we just cut about non football pubs while keeping up with the score on phones. Eventually persuaded them to find a pub showing the game after Hibs had equalised to watch extra time, arrived at the door of this place and the bouncer said they were full and we couldn't get in, then there was a massive cheer from inside, cue us outside trying to work out if it was a Rangers or Hibs pub. Went next door and I watched the rest of the game on the barmans phone. Rest of the evening/night after it was a bit of a blur, remember going into a place called Pivo or something which had a sign on the door saying no football colours, went in and every person in green and white. Place was absolutely jumping, great tunes on and just generally a class atmosphere. Few folk heard our accents and thought we were **** but quickly informed them otherwise and they were delighted. Mind walking back to my mates flat at the end of the night and the streets were mobbed. Mood was slightly ruined the next day by my stinking hangover and arriving at the bookies to collect my 40 quid winnings on Hibs to be told I'd actually put them on to win the first half. f**k Coral

No longer friends with any of the guys and I think their refusal to watch the game is part of the reason (they're all c***s in other ways too). Still had a good day/night but if we'd actually watched the game in a pub with Hibees it would've been so much better. 

This thread is like a classic film that you must watch again if you see that it's on while flicking through the channels.

Whenever you're in the domestic cup section and see it there it would be a disservice to Scottish fitba not to drop in past.

This thread is like a classic film that you must watch again if you see that it's on while flicking through the channels.
Whenever you're in the domestic cup section and see it there it would be a disservice to Scottish fitba not to drop in past.

The go-pro footage of the Hibs end, somewhere in here, is simply magnificent.

Always worth a revisit.

I was sat in the silent section of the uni library “studying” for an exam I had the following Monday. Had the game on in a background tab with my earphones in for the commentary - started watching it in the last 10 minutes when things got interesting.

I’d spotted another bloke a few seats away from me who I could see by his screen was also watching it. When the David Gray goal went in the two of us silently fist pumped the air in unison.

A truly beautiful moment.

On 2/16/2019 at 22:44, eez-eh said:

I was sat in the silent section of the uni library “studying” for an exam I had the following Monday. Had the game on in a background tab with my earphones in for the commentary - started watching it in the last 10 minutes when things got interesting.

I’d spotted another bloke a few seats away from me who I could see by his screen was also watching it. When the David Gray goal went in the two of us silently fist pumped the air in unison.

A truly beautiful moment.

That was just like me and the chap in seat 161.  Silently fist pumped the air.  There may have also been some polite applause at full time.

Also I wish I took better care of that ticket stub.  But 3 days stuck in a wallet with many refreshments being on offer made me forget.

52392472_396451004234912_971569448290877440_n.jpg

2 hours ago, Lofarl said:

That was just like me and the chap in seat 161.  Silently fist pumped the air.  There may have also been some polite applause at full time.

Also I wish I took better care of that ticket stub.  But 3 days stuck in a wallet with many refreshments being on offer made me forget.

52392472_396451004234912_971569448290877440_n.jpg

Have my ticket framed and on my living room wall. 

How The West Was Won:

https://www.coachesvoice.com/alan-stubbs-hibernian-rangers/

Skip to 32:00

How To Lose Games And Alienate The People:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/mark-warburton-rangers-should-have-beaten-hibs-in-cup-final-this-is-why-we-didn-t-1-4875495

Skip to 43:41

The Magic-Hatted One's interview reminded me of a quote from him, several months after he made himself disappear in 2016...

"I'm not saying [Dominic Ball] would have changed the way things turned out, but he is 6ft 2in."

:lol:

Stubbs refers to the rather simple, but evidently effective, tactic of exploiting the opponent's weakness.

Warburton refers to the rather paradoxical 'my players were knackered after their two-week break'. I suppose Warburton believes Hibs were fortunate, having  just played four playoff games in nine days. Nothing rejuvenates a side like four energy-sapping 'must-win' games and complete dejection after failing to achieve promotion.

The bitterness is so sweet that I can tangibly taste every word with my gesticulatory spoon.

Edited by The Notorious E.F.E.

I'm probably not alone in saying that when Hibs scored the winner that day, it almost resulted in my ribs being broken in the ensuing carnage. Perhaps less glamorously than most, in my case. Jumped up to celebrate the goal, slipped on the wooden flooring and went down quicker than Tavernier defending a corner.

There was a table of **** next to me from, I think, Ayrshire somewhere on a stag do.  Needless to say, my joy at Gray's winner was directed at them.  I've mentioned it on this thread before but Ryan Christie who was up as Celtic's season had ended, was in the pub and he fair enjoyed the winner too.

• 2 months later...