The best decade? Music/films/fitba & fashion

Top decade  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boo hiss...

Done all my schooling in the late 60's and all the 70's and the music and fashions were incredible. I went from a hippie to glam then punk and disco in ten years.

Then along came the 80's... Fuckin Brilliant Time to be alive. 

80s music - mostly pish

80s fashion - pish

80s films - mostly ok, probably, if I thought about it

80s culture - horrible - all style over substance - using all the new technology without having developed the taste to master it

It's mainly the music, though - some great records were made in the 80s, but the key period for rock/pop music is from '66 - 74, imo.

80s music - mostly pish

80s fashion - pish

80s films - mostly ok, probably, if I thought about it

80s culture - horrible - all style over substance - using all the new technology without having developed the taste to master it

It's mainly the music, though - some great records were made in the 80s, but the key period for rock/pop music is from '66 - 74, imo.

We had a mass debate in the pub the other week over which song had more meaning & integrity Ultravox's Vienna vs Joe Dolce's Shaddupa ya face. I think Joe won in the end.

Grimbo

In reality the '60's for everything surely must be hard to beat. A time when the UK was finally getting back on its feet after the war and the first time such a thing as a disposable income really appeared. Certainly for music and fashion it was a decade of firsts.

Having only just been born in that era, from a personal point of view I would go as follows:

Music: the decade between '75-85: the rise of reggae, towards British SKA (although proper Jamaican SKA wipes the floor with the cover bands of the U.K. Era), MOD revival, Punk, post punk.

Buzzcocks, the Buzzcocks tribute band (The Jam), Pistols, Clash, Bob Marley, Specials, Madness, The Beat, Joy Division, New Order, Half Man Half Biscuit, The Smiths, Echo & The Bunneymen, Bowie (especially Station to station, Low and Scary Monsters), the list is near endless.

Fashion would be the same period. Skins, Suedeheads, rude boys, Mods and punks, transitioning through the casual era before it tuned to shit and lack of innovation with Stone Island, Ralph Lauren and outlet centres circa '86. The periods either side however; Glam rock, disco and New Romantics. What were people thinking!

Football is a toss up. The '90's being a Motherwell Supporter were extraordinary. First cup win for near 40 years, finishing 'best of the rest' a few times before it became more common for us and playing in Europe. All not long after relegations, near relegations and stints in the first division.

But overall, growing up in the '70's was magical for football. The home nations tournaments, Argentina '78, Wembly '77. Watching grainy European football from the likes of Budapest, Prague and Kiev on TV was something special rather than the saturation it is today and Liverpool and Forest were a joy to watch.

Culture: all pre '89 with the division in Europe for interesting and exciting times.

Archived