Scottish Premiership team of the season

Both are very good players, however Ozturk has been the best centre half at Hearts this season and strolls into any XI for this season. Rossi has actually played a lot of his football at left back.

I would go with:

............Gordon

Paterson... Ozturk.. Rossi... Shinnie

Walker... Djoum.... Rogic... Hayes

...... Griffiths.... Rooney

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MacDonald

Paterson Rossi Davies Shinnie

Djoum Irvine

Walker                        Hayes

Griffiths Hemmings

That's a pretty good team, that.  

Count me in the very pro Davies camp.  I think he's a brilliant defender, and his weaknesses are shared by most central defenders.

Notice only non-Celtic fans have Gordon in their team. He's been ok, but not team of the season worthy. Cerny or Macdonald more deserving imo. Our wee Callum McGregor underrated imo

MacDonald 

Logan Ozturk  Tierney

Hayes McGregor Walker Rogic Shinnie

Griffiths Hemmings

That's not a real defence I know, but like others I'm struggling to pick centre halves

Cerny

Paterson Davies Rossi Shinnie

Djoum Osman Hayes

Hemmings Griffiths Rooney

Obviously Hayes isn't a CM and 3 strikers looks daft but I'm pretty sure the SPFL one is shoe-horned into a 4-3-3. Centre backs were a struggle and was tempted to chuck Shinnie in there because he's excellent everywhere. Not many midfielders have been consistent throughout the season (Rogic, Irvine, Harkins and a few others have been excellent in patches) so went for ones who have been. Opted for Osman over Tansey because I'm biased of course. If Dumbuya had been with us for the start and didn't miss about 3 months he'd probably be in my team too.

Cerny>MacDonald.

Thistle got very lucky in the summer with Scott Fox rejecting a new contract. Cerny is a brilliant 'keeper all round and I don't think he'd be phased playing at a better level. He would have been a perfect signing for Aberdeen this summer had Thistle not got him signed up.

MacDonald is a brilliant shot stopper, has very good reactions and seems to not do anything rash. The issue I've seen (on limited occasions) though is that the range he'll come out for crosses is pretty poor at this level. I'm probably being unfair though (as I'm basing that on watching him a couple of seasons back and he could have matured quite a bit) but as recently as a season ago, Falkirk fans weren't that impressed with him for that reason.

Thistle got very lucky in the summer with Scott Fox rejecting a new contract. Cerny is a brilliant 'keeper all round and I don't think he'd be phased playing at a better level. He would have been a perfect signing for Aberdeen this summer had Thistle not got him signed up.

MacDonald is a brilliant shot stopper, has very good reactions and seems to not do anything rash. The issue I've seen (on limited occasions) though is that the range he'll come out for crosses is pretty poor at this level. I'm probably being unfair though (as I'm basing that on watching him a couple of seasons back and he could have matured quite a bit) but as recently as a season ago, Falkirk fans weren't that impressed with him for that reason.

If we had Samson this season rather than MacDonald I have no doubts that we'd be in Dundee United'a position right now. We were warned that his coming for crosses was poor, but that really hasn't been seen whatsoever at Killie.

Probably fair to say that the keepers in the league are of a very similar standard. Not much to differentiate between virtually all of them. Craig Gordon's got the track record, and looked great for Scotland the other month, but he's had some weird moments throughout the season.

There's no real Craig Samson/Clangers in the league, other than perhaps whichever Central European freak Dundee United had in goals for half the season.

Thistle got very lucky in the summer with Scott Fox rejecting a new contract. Cerny is a brilliant 'keeper all round and I don't think he'd be phased playing at a better level.

Scott Fox has been a fantastic signing for County, I doubt we'd be in the top 6 without him. He has been unlucky to have picked up a couple of injuries but he's been fantastic whenever called upon.

County's horrendous defencive record is more to do with McIntyre's gung-ho style of play than poor defensive players, although we're in dire need of a couple of good fullbacks.

Scott Fox has been a fantastic signing for County, I doubt we'd be in the top 6 without him. He has been unlucky to have picked up a couple of injuries but he's been fantastic whenever called upon.

County's horrendous defencive record is more to do with McIntyre's gung-ho style of play than poor defensive players, although we're in dire need of a couple of good fullbacks.

Yup. Fox's distribution is one of the reasons County have been so much more fluid in transition this season. I'm sure that's why McIntyre signed him ahead of, say, Cerny.

He never really convinced me with Partick - always thought he was likely to let a long range shot in - but he seems to have cut that out. Our keeper coach seems to have done the trick. It's also good that he's not as technically flawed as our last couple of muppets (Brown and Fraser).

Archived