School

Once I go back after the Easter Holidays, I've only got 8 days left before it's over. So, how was everyone's time at school? Favourite and least favourite subject? Memorable stories? Favourite and least favourite year? Did you love or loathe it?

I've enjoyed most of it, but I'm definitely ready to leave. Still, though, it'll be a strange feeling knowing that I'll never have to go back.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a 100% true story from my time at school that definitely happened.

After lunch near a rival school a few years ago we were leaving when an angry boy was roaring abuse at us..."b*****ds" or something he was shouting.wink.gif Anyway my mate thought it'd be funny to blow him a few kisses etc.

Cue angry boy throwing of all things his phone...which Mark caught biggrin.gif
After refusing his requests to throw it back a few calls were made back on the bus from said phone....
Cue angry boy being possibly thrown.out the house after a call was.made to 'home' explaining to his mum that her son had been caught in the school toilets with a rent boy.....

When I was at school there was basically no expectation whatsoever that anyone would go on to college, never mind university.  It was the beginning of the Madchester period and going to loads of parties instead of doing any exam revision.  Exams just didn't matter. For my Computing Studies exam, I just wrote my name on the front of the exam booklet and then handed it in completely blank. 

I remember my last day of school like it was yesterday, even though it is now more than a quarter of a century ago.  First of all I wasn't at school, cos I didn't go.  My mates and I went to a bowling alley, then to the Strathclyde park to lark about drunk on those boats that sort of resemble an inflatable tyre with an outboard motor.

I started work the next day and real life started. 

Probably the biggest shock though was how many friendships fall by the way side after school.  At school there was about 16, 17, 18 of us that all hung out and where good friends.  After school I'd see about 3 of them regular and another 3 or 4 once in a while.  There was no social networks or mobiles in those days though so its probably easier to keep in touch with people these days but on the other hand nearly everyone will be going off to college or university which wasn't the case in my day.

To me school was basically having a great laugh with all your mates every day and having no financial concerns whatsoever. 

Seems to be a straight split down the middle into two camps - personally once I left school I moved away from the area, got into new social circles and didn't really give it a second thought. These days, you could count on the fingers of one hand the amount of people I'm still in touch with from schooldays - not like I had any big falling outs...more our lives went in different directions.

Once a few years ago for old times sake myself and one of the guys I went to school with that I still hang around with stopped off in a pub near the old school (Knightswood). Bizarre experience, as within five minutes we'd run into at least half a dozen people in our year. These were more the type of guys who'd married a girl in the year below and now lived four doors down from their parents, still with exactly the same pals as they did when they were 14. Strangely, they could remember in minute detail who I'd hung about with - people I hadn't thought about for years - what classes they'd been in with me, who my registration teacher was and so on. It was like it had just happened yesterday for them.

There's no doubt I'll miss the social aspect of school. House parties and nights out with a big group from school (regrettably mostly in the Palace) have been magic. However, the majority of stuff in school itself has been pretty shite.

Link?

Her name was Fiona Sloman - ride - if you do a search, be careful what you click on - pal of mine clicked on a virus when searching for her once.

Again, I've probably posted this before, but she was also on some Noel Edmonds show modelling a cutting edge fashion dress with her chebs actually hanging out.

Marvellous.

Her name was Fiona Sloman - ride - if you do a search, be careful what you click on - pal of mine clicked on a virus when searching for her once.

Again, I've probably posted this before, but she was also on some Noel Edmonds show modelling a cutting edge fashion dress with her chebs actually hanging out.

Marvellous.

Was she a teacher at Newbattle? 

Archived