ABBA songs

Tom Rogic

Girl I was going out with at the time (early 90s) met me one Friday night and announced she had tickets for Bjorn Again's first ever Scottish show at Tut's that night. "Aye, that'll be great..." I thought

Two hours later I realised I knew every word of every song they played - I think if you're of a certain vintage you learned them by osmosis. Come Sunday I went up to Lost in Music off Byres Rd and bought a pile of Abba albums from the bargain bucket "Oh, were you at that thing on Friday?" said the guy behind the counter "You're about the third or fourth this weekend doing that..."

1. Watch Out (intro sounds a wee bit like Deep Purple oddly enough)

2. Eagle

3. S.O.S.

4. Does Your Mother Know

5. Summer Night City (Therion's cover is excellent)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPqVFfT4Kck

As mentioned before its not till you hear a load of their songs on a TV show or some form of musical or tribute thing that you realise that you know most of their stuff, they had an incredible amount of hits.

As songwriters Andersson and Ulvaeus are right up their with the likes of Lennon and McCartney, Brian Wilson, Elton John and Bernie Taupin etc

As mentioned before its not till you hear a load of their songs on a TV show or some form of musical or tribute thing that you realise that you know most of their stuff, they had an incredible amount of hits.

As songwriters Andersson and Ulvaeus are right up their with the likes of Lennon and McCartney, Brian Wilson, ANONYMOUS STAR and Bernie Taupin etc

FTFY

Does Your Mother Know is the beast anthem! It's probably second on the BBC Corporate shindig playlist after Gary Puckett and Union Gap's Young Girl.

True. Still a cracking tune though. Although, the lyrics are about a lassie who's trying to get into Bjorn's pants, but it's not going to happen as she's still a kid. Young Girl, on the other hand?   :shutup

So, the lesson is that Bjorn Ulvaeus is a man you can trust with your teenage daughters. Which is definitely a slogan he should use if he ever runs for political office.

• 2 weeks later...

Guilty pleasure, my arse. ABBA were superb.

Although I get the impression Gunther's sung a few of their girlier tunes into his hairdryer while getting ready for a big night out with the wife.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...