Queen of the South Management Team

It is an income no other club has unless they have 5 aside pitches that I don't know about with a cafe, Gym and office space. I know​ st Mirren had the indoor balloon thing for a while but not sure if that's being used atm. .

They sacked the balloon and Alex Rae got the Manager's job.

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol:

The details of the facility are directly linked to the income its able to generate. As Broony said, we have sources of off-field income that other clubs in the division dont. Alloa have a pitch they rent out. Its similar to what we have only in the fact that its green.

Alloa also have an outdoor caged five a side pitch next to the park on the Main Stand side. It's nothing like the scale of the Arena, it's much smaller, but they do have something "similar".

Alloa also have an outdoor caged five a side pitch next to the park on the Main Stand side. It's nothing like the scale of the Arena, it's much smaller, but they do have something "similar".

Thats the crucial part of the argument though. I imagine Alloa also have a club shop and so make money from merchandise. You wouldnt say it was "similar" to Man Utds though

Thats the crucial part of the argument though. I imagine Alloa also have a club shop and so make money from merchandise. You wouldnt say it was "similar" to Man Utds though

I wouldn't, no. But we're not comparing anyone to Manchester United. The sort of numbers we're talking here, particularly with club shops, twice the size still doesn't make any massive difference to budgets.

The Arena (and KGV) are terrific off field developments for the club and should provide a secure income source for years to come, the Chairman and Board deserve great credit for those developments. But the idea that it bridges the gap of c500 in average attendance to Morton, over 1,000 to St Mirren and more than 1,300 to Falkirk is probably fanciful, especially as all of those clubs also charge more for entry than us in the first place. I'm not party to their financial details and I don't know how many free tickets they may for instance give away each week but you'd presume Morton's gate receipts are at least £5k per game and maybe approaching £10k per game more than ours. That's £100k - £200k per year more. You can double that and more for St Mirren and Falkirk. Plus St Mirren also have a generous parachute payment. There's no chance we have the "4th or 5th highest budget" in this division.

I wouldn't, no. But we're not comparing anyone to Manchester United. The sort of numbers we're talking here, particularly with club shops, twice the size still doesn't make any massive difference to budgets.

The Arena (and KGV) are terrific off field developments for the club and should provide a secure income source for years to come, the Chairman and Board deserve great credit for those developments. But the idea that it bridges the gap of c500 in average attendance to Morton, over 1,000 to St Mirren and more than 1,300 to Falkirk is probably fanciful, especially as all of those clubs also charge more for entry than us in the first place. I'm not party to their financial details and I don't know how many free tickets they may for instance give away each week but you'd presume Morton's gate receipts are at least £5k per game and maybe approaching £10k per game more than ours. That's £100k - £200k per year more. You can double that and more for St Mirren and Falkirk. Plus St Mirren also have a generous parachute payment. There's no chance we have the "4th or 5th highest budget" in this division.

Not disputing any of that.

The point still remains, though, that with the Arena we do have different sources of income that other clubs in the division dont. The amount of difference it makes to the budget is another debate

Don't let the Livi fans think that. They seem to think they have a smaller budget than P/T dumbo. If any F/T side claims to have a smaller budget than Livi the fans will be streaming onto the M8 like lemmings.

Livi fans live in a fantasy land where they think they have a much smaller playing budget than us and Dumbarton but I would say Raith probably does have a larger budget than Livi.

It is an income no other club has unless they have 5 aside pitches that I don't know about with a cafe, Gym and office space. I know st Mirren had the indoor balloon thing for a while but not sure if that's being used atm.

Without getting into VT's drivel alloa has the pitch which we rent out, 2 five a side pitches, a couple of halls used for things such as gymnastics and mma to local clubs and I think there's also a dance hall (whatever a dance hall is :lol:). There is also the leisure bowl that Mulraney owns which has a swimming pool, gym, sauna, pool and snooker hall, small cafeteria, bar. I don't know if the profits of that go into the club or not but Mulraney does sell tickets and some merchandise there.

Livi fans live in a fantasy land where they think they have a much smaller playing budget than us and Dumbarton but I would say Raith probably does have a larger budget than Livi.

Without getting into VT's drivel alloa has the pitch which we rent out, 2 five a side pitches, a couple of halls used for things such as gymnastics and mma to local clubs and I think there's also a dance hall (whatever a dance hall is :lol:). There is also the leisure bowl that Mulraney owns which has a swimming pool, gym, sauna, pool and snooker hall, small cafeteria, bar. I don't know if the profits of that go into the club or not but Mulraney does sell tickets and some merchandise there.

Dont know how much is worth, but our chairman is adamant we have the smallest FT budget in Scotland and is fairly confident that we have the smallest in Britain.

Cheers. Thats certainly closer to what we have than I realised. 

I'm not sure where I stand on the management team question.

I don't see a very pressing case to either renew, or not, to be honest.

I suppose that means we better keep him, in the hope that a bit of stability is fruitful, and in the absence of obvious alternatives.

If we take very few points from the remaining three games though, it hardly places him in a very strong position. I've said before that I wouldn't mind seeing Skelton get a promotion, but I seem to be alone in that.

I see us sticking with Fowler, but with his reserves of faith and goodwill, somewhat eroded.

That is pretty much how I feel. I am not a fan of sacking Managers for the sake of it and James Fowler had a very good first season.

Alarm bells starting to ring when Baird and Kerr wanted to leave - they may well have been at fault but the fact remains that they both couldnt get away quick enough. Baird left because he thought he should have been an automatic pick but Kerr was more or less the first name on teamsheet and he had other issues which seem to be more related to the man management side. Many will disagree but I think we should have retained Michael Paton especially as he had put his injury woes behind him. I suspect that he also wanted away but lets be honest he would have walked into our team this year.

This year I think we made a few decent signings but Manager still doesnt seem to know his best team or formation. I will be very interested to see how many of our "must stay" signings will actually want to remain with us. It is a difficult call for the Board. Results over past few months have been horrendous and we really need to address this slide before the end of the season. Cup performances have also been very disappointing indeed.

I think he will be given another year but his summer retention, disposal and recruitment will determine how well we do next season. Young managers cant really afford to be sacked as they may never get another chance given the competition for these jobs.

Dont know how much is worth, but our chairman is adamant we have the smallest FT budget in Scotland and is fairly confident that we have the smallest in Britain.

I still don't know how he can say that unless he's privvy to every single full time budget in Britain which I find fanciful.

Is he then also including the players paid individually by external sources?

I still don't know how he can say that unless he's privvy to every single full time budget in Britain which I find fanciful.

Is he then also including the players paid individually by external sources?

I have no idea.  He said the Scotland part with some certainty so goodness knows.

The only player who was funded externally is Scott Robertson I think, and he has been one of the poorer performers in the squad. 

Cheers. Thats certainly closer to what we have than I realised.

As I said the profits off the leisure bowl may or may not go to the club but with merchandise and ticket sales there I think at least some of it will.

Fowler has drawn 3 out of his 4 games against Falkirk this season and on that basis, what more could Queef of the South fans want? This was the same supporters who wanted rid of McIntyre as they thought he was underachieving finishing 4th after being promoted in a league with Dundee, Hamilton and Falkirk :lol:

On a serious note, who would you get in to replace him?

Fowler has drawn 3 out of his 4 games against Falkirk this season and on that basis, what more could Queef of the South fans want? This was the same supporters who wanted rid of McIntyre as they thought he was underachieving finishing 4th after being promoted in a league with Dundee, Hamilton and Falkirk :lol:

McIntyre probably took us to where we expected when we got promoted. However, had he hit the road running with the team he had at his disposal then I am certain we would have challenged for the league that season. I am not saying we would have won it, but I reckon we would have been higher than we finished.

Edited to add;

He had a poor first half of the season but a great second half. On that basis I would halve liked to have seen him in a second season. I think he would have had us flying.

McIntyre in the opinion of many (but not all) initially made the job harder than it should have been given he inherited a  very decent team.

FWIW I liked him as QOS manager.

For as well as Falkirk have done this season 3 draws and no wins is a decent achievement for us but hardly worth celebrating.

I`m sure if i looked through previous  posts i could find a number of Falkirk fans unhappy with Houston last season despite a cup final appearance and this season despite an excellent performance. It`s the nature of football fans.

I'd  keep him on and he's been very unlucky with injuries but there is certainly a lot of red flags about the way this season has been handled.

He takes plenty of risks tactically and they haven't worked as well this season,: be it formation, team selection or substitutions. I don't mind mixing things up but sometimes it seems very random and doesn't pick folk who did well the week before. It's hard for a team to click if there is 3 or 4 changes every week. This season, he hasn't kept faith in many  players but he has constantly played an 18 year old, Jake Pickard, who looks out his depth in a variety of positions, he tried Darren Brownlie at right back despite the fact he passes the ball with all the grace of a Giraffe on roller skates, at one point had about 8 strikers on the books yet we can't score to save ourselves and trying to make sand dancers like Ryan Conroy the focal point despite only being useful from set pieces against Seaside league teams.

In addition the manner in which the likes of Baird, Kerr, Paton and Mitchell left is a worry and we'll see what happens this summer with who stays, i can't imagine anyone playing this year has enjoyed it. Another issue is that he doesn't appear to back any younger player to get a prolonged run in the team in what is a dead rubber season outside of Pickard.  He gives people a chance off the scrapheap like Kyle Hutton who is looking a lot better even if he flatters to deceive a bit, Jordan Marshall who at 18 is fantastic but taking risks leaves you with a lot of junk like Mark Millar having the worst attitude in Scottish football apparently reformed before going back to being the chubby sideways passer he was before. Callum Tapping being injured for 3/4s of the season wasn't a surprise given his history.

His signings that appeared safe bets haven't been great, Conroy has been one of the most overrated players at this level for a while now, Hilson has had terrible luck with injuries, Gary Oliver has featured intermittently and appears to have attitude concerns, Jacobs is bang average and Alex Harris is Hibs personified

Calderwood would be a good shout. Was good at Aberdeen, Dunfermline and Kilmarnock.

Calderwood would be a good shout. Was good at Aberdeen, Dunfermline and Kilmarnock.

That would be a good call, Rusty. The only negative is that he has been out the game a little while. I wouldn't be adverse to him coming as Fowlers assistant if the board would rather retain Fowler.

Archived