Alloa v Queen of the South

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fuxake Alloa. What a time in the season to discover a bit of form!

The team have been playing better for a while really, only once in 2016 have they not put in a decent performance at the Recs.

I was disappointed with a point today. We deserved our half-time lead but started the second half poorly and it was no surprise that QoS levelled it. The Wasps lifted it again though with Duffy forcing a great save from the keeper and Hill hitting the underside of the bar with a header. Great work then from Duffy, Hetherington and McManus to put us 2-1 up. We might have added to the lead but then switched off entirely to lose an awful goal, free header from a corner. Russell could have won it after that, which would have been very harsh on Alloa.

Credit to the players again for continuing to work hard despite the fact our fate has already been sealed. The point at least ensures that we have now taken something from every team in the league. Hopefully we can avoid a hammering at Ibrox next week then try and get something from the Sons on the last day.

I was also disappointed with a point, both times we equalised I thought we would go on and win, but it wasn't to be.

The first half was turgid, neither keeper had much to do, apart from Jim picking it out of the net. Did that penalty go in off the post?

The second half was better, and the last 20 was actually a bit exciting, without much decent football on show. Both teams went for it, although they did seem to be competing as to who could give the ball away the most, very frustrating to watch.

Thought Russell was probably the best for us today, with Hilson working hard as well. But overall, we played pretty poorly for long spells, not a game that will live long in the memory.....

I was disappointed with a point today. We deserved our half-time lead.

You think?

For me it was a first half that absolutely deserved to be 0-0. No complaint about the penalty. It was one of those where a defender goes to whack it clear and an attacker just nicks a leg between him and the ball a fraction of a second earlier. No intent at all but its still a penalty. But you werent actually threatening to score from that attack and I cant recall a meaningful shot at goal from either side. Even the penalty went in off the post.

Without playing particularly well thought we were the better side for most of the second half, especially once Oliver came on. There was however a period at 2-1 down when it looked more likely to go 3-1 than 2-2. We might have won it at the end. Russell was unlucky. Higgins pulled a shot right across the face of goal too though that may have been before the equaliser. Cant quite recall.

No real complaint at the draw though. It was typical end of season fare.

In the end I went along and, on the entertainment value of the second half I was glad I did. Neither side looked like scoring from open play

for the first 45.

Good to see Marshall back but he was a bit slow and rusty. No real surprise that he failed to clear his lines and booted the Alloa guy instead.

Second half was much better fare despite Alloa's narrow pitch - what a load of nonsense that is! Russell had a big influence on the game

And I really hope he is still with us next season. Likewise Lyle, who didn't bother with any Pirlo Cummings posing but just stuck the pen away

efficiently.

Good end to end stuff developed and Alloa fashioned a really good move down the left with the ball cut back for an unstoppable first time strike past Jim.

I was glad Hilson got the equaliser. He worked hard all game. Can't see the Alloa boss being too pleased at a midget getting a free header in the centre of goal from a corner though.

Oliver was good when he came on and his cute pass led to Beanie wipe out and our pen.

Next few weeks will be crucial in getting a squad together for next season. I will miss visiting Alloa though.

Unexpectedly got to go along to this   :thumsup2 

Decent afternoon. As already mentioned, that second equalizer was a shocker; the defence was so static that I assumed there must have been an infringement, until everyone went back to the centre circle. No surprise that we didn't win, though, and a draw was probably fair considering QoS had a couple of decent chances in the second half. Four games undefeated now, I think. Woo.

What happened in Dumfries? I'd have said QoS looked like the most likely team to finish fourth at the halfway stage   :wacko:

You think?

I

For me it was a first half that absolutely deserved to be 0-0. No complaint about the penalty. It was one of those where a defender goes to whack it clear and an attacker just nicks a leg between him and the ball a fraction of a second earlier. No intent at all but its still a penalty. But you werent actually threatening to score from that attack and I cant recall a meaningful shot at goal from either side. Even the penalty went in off the post.

There was a fine bit of play between Duffy and Flannigan to set up Crawford who drilled it over when he really should have scored. I felt we were on top anyway. QoS certainly had much more of the ball in the second half but even then I think Alloa had more clear cut chances. Add to that a shocker of a goal to concede, and it felt like 2 points dropped to me. It's all about opinions though :)

I thought Gallacher was missed today. Much as I Iike DC, he wasn't convincing at times and that probably got to the defence a bit. Doubt we'd have conceded a goal like the 2nd with Gallacher playing. Similarly, understand why Ross stuck with a winning team, but Hetherington is a better bet than Caddis and showed it when he came on. Duffy was great, a constant source of menace to the QoS defence.

There was a fine bit of play between Duffy and Flannigan to set up Crawford who drilled it over when he really should have scored. I felt we were on top anyway. QoS certainly had much more of the ball in the second half but even then I think Alloa had more clear cut chances. Add to that a shocker of a goal to concede, and it felt like 2 points dropped to me. It's all about opinions though :)

I thought Gallacher was missed today. Much as I Iike DC, he wasn't convincing at times and that probably got to the defence a bit. Doubt we'd have conceded a goal like the 2nd with Gallacher playing. Similarly, understand why Ross stuck with a winning team, but Hetherington is a better bet than Caddis and showed it when he came on. Duffy was great, a constant source of menace to the QoS defence.

Yep I thought Dufffy was a real threat.

We looked much better when oliver came on for Tapping. Oliver himself was a threat but the switch also had the benefit of freeing Millar up from being isolated in no-man`s land between midfield and attack. The switch got him on the ball with more purpose and we looked to have a much better balance..

Thought Hilson was best for us.

Yep I thought Dufffy was a real threat.

We looked much better when oliver came on for Tapping. Oliver himself was a threat but the switch also had the benefit of freeing Millar up from being isolated in no-man`s land between midfield and attack. The switch got him on the ball with more purpose and we looked to have a much better balance..

Thought Hilson was best for us.

Yeah, Millar was basically a passenger apart from set piece taking until the formation change and then he was pretty good in the last 25 minutes. But it's a position in behind the front man that he's excelled at in some recent games, particularly first half on Tuesday night. It's that sort of inconsistency from most of our players this season which has you tearing your hair out. Oliver did well when he came on and had a really good month recently but he barely kicked a ball against Raith last Saturday or after coming on as a sub on Tuesday,

Agree Hilson was probably just about best for us. Hutton did reasonably well. Tapping did fine but seems to run out of steam after an hour. He could be some player with a proper pre-season behind him. Good to see Marshall back but he too wasn't fit enough after a long lay off to play much more than an hour.

Thought we just shaded it gutted we lost a late goal Duffy has been our best player all season by a mile POY for me

Russell still a fanny bambi on ice !!!!

His antics annoy me but have to say he was OK from that point of view in this match. 

Certainly seen him worse.

I thought a draw was about right.

I thought Ian Russell was our best player by far and is a player that should be very high on our retention list. Hilson also did well.

People see different things but Hutton and Tapping have pretty much occupied our central midfield over the course of the last couple of months when ourresults especially away from home have been terrible. I am not suggesting that itis down to them, far from it, but games are largely won from central midfield and I just think that this partnership flatters to deceive. Both players are neat and tidy but I dont think opposing Managers will be unduly perturbed at the threat that they pose.

Our best spell came when we had Millar in his proper central midfield role in the last 25 mins and it is no coincidence that we created several good openings during this period and actually looked dangerous.

Manager had chance to restore our best back 4 but chose to drop Higgy presumably on the back of his error at Dumbarton.

We nicked a point away from home.Fowler will be delighted.

I know you're being flippant, but taking into account the rotten run we've been on away from home, and having been behind twice it is a pretty good result.

Better Queens teams than the current lot have struggled up in Alloa.

Archived