Alloa v Queen of the South

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know you're being flippant, but taking into account the rotten run we've been on away from home, and having been behind twice it is a pretty good result.

Better Queens teams than the current lot have struggled up in Alloa.

I wouldn't describe a draw with the marooned, already relegated bottom of the table, part-time team, "a pretty good result".

It's better than Hibs managed last week.

Even last season when we had a good team I wouldn't expect us to just roll up and grab the three points, so I don't see why we should expect to this season. That's Old Firm levels of arrogance.

I wouldn't describe a draw with the marooned, already relegated bottom of the table, part-time team, "a pretty good result".

I agree with you that it's not a particularly good result for QoS. It's not a bad result either though. Since the turn of the year Alloa have generally been hard to beat at the Recs. Rangers and Raith needed late equalisers to get a draw. Falkirk got away with a 1-0 win. Hibs lost 1-0. Opposition fans tend to expect to win easily but the results don't really back that up.

I agree with you that it's not a particularly good result for QoS. It's not a bad result either though. Since the turn of the year Alloa have generally been hard to beat at the Recs. Rangers and Raith needed late equalisers to get a draw. Falkirk got away with a 1-0 win. Hibs lost 1-0. Opposition fans tend to expect to win easily but the results don't really back that up.

I wouldn't expect to merely turn up and win at all.

That however, doesn't make a draw a pretty good result. That's all.

It's better than Hibs managed last week.

Even last season when we had a good team I wouldn't expect us to just roll up and grab the three points, so I don't see why we should expect to this season. That's Old Firm levels of arrogance.

A splendid point, had I, at any stage, suggested anything of the sort.

I thought Queens looked quite disjointed until they made the changes in the middle. Russell always a threat of course. Similarly we looked better when McManus and Hetherington came on. I would have started Hetherington but Jack Ross rarely switches a team who have done well the previous week if all available. Hetherington will surely get another contract for next season. Megginson worked hard up front again and thought he had a good match. Duffy excellent- if he doesnt make it at Celtic (which will be tough) I would imagine he would do a decent job joining a higher level club in Scotland.

Created plenty openings, and had chances to maybe win the game. Despite losing quite a cheap equaliser, a draw was probably a fair result overall. 

Guest Flash

Our 20 point lead over Alloa is made up of

9 points from the head to head games.

6 points more for us v Dumbarton (with Alloa still to play them once).

2 points more for us v Livi (with us still to play them once).

And 3 points more for us from 23 games against the top 6 - we have got 14 points and Alloa have got 11 points from their 23 games.

ETA the bulk of the gap was made up in the first half of the season with us taking 17 points from the last 16 games and Alloa taking 11.

And with us winning one of the head to heads in the second half of the season, against everybody else in the league Alloa have taken 10 points and we have taken 13. So, not much between the teams since the turn of the year.

Guest Flash

A draw away to such a similarly matched team is a pretty good result then?

Incidentally we drew both visits to the Recs last season as well.

Yes, I'd say a draw with a similarly matched team is a good result.

Whether it is good to be similarly matched with the relegated team is a different question.

I thought Ian Russell was our best player by far and is a player that should be very high on our retention list. Hilson also did well.

People see different things but Hutton and Tapping have pretty much occupied our central midfield over the course of the last couple of months when ourresults especially away from home have been terrible. I am not suggesting that itis down to them, far from it, but games are largely won from central midfield and I just think that this partnership flatters to deceive. Both players are neat and tidy but I dont think opposing Managers will be unduly perturbed at the threat that they pose.

Our best spell came when we had Millar in his proper central midfield role in the last 25 mins and it is no coincidence that we created several good openings during this period and actually looked dangerous.

Manager had chance to restore our best back 4 but chose to drop Higgy presumably on the back of his error at Dumbarton.

Millar should excel in the more advanced role, he has all the qualities to play there and has played there well before, yet he was anonymous for 65 minutes. Hes got to show he can do it for the whole game rather than just late on when the opposition are ahead and dropping off.

I actually really like the idea of a Hutton, Tapping, Millar midfield. They all have different strengths that complement each other. It didnt really work yesterday though

A draw away to such a similarly matched team is a pretty good result then?

Incidentally we drew both visits to the Recs last season as well.

Queens won at Alloa earlier in the season with Oliver's brace, when the Wasps scored in the first minute of the match and Queens did likewise at the start of the second half.

We started yesterday with a 4-4-1-1 formation which for me is overly complicating things unnecessarily. We were playing on a pitch that had been dramatically reduced in size and for Millar in this No 10 role the was literally no space whatsover. Our Manager seems obsessed with changing systems for every game and I am adamant that he is no further forward in finding his best 11 as he was at the start of the season.

The game is really not nearly as complicated as we are making it. We have a decent goalie and a solid enough back 4 when all are fit.We have to pick two central midfielders and two decent wide midfielders. Two players up front preferably one with pace and mobility and one who can hold the ball up and link the play. We have a decent enough squad to be able put out a pretty strong line up along these lines but we change our pattern of play 2/3 times in every match and in all honesty how well has this scattergun approach served us?

Our 20 point lead over Alloa is made up of

9 points from the head to head games.

6 points more for us v Dumbarton (with Alloa still to play them once).

2 points more for us v Livi (with us still to play them once).

And 3 points more for us from 23 games against the top 6 - we have got 14 points and Alloa have got 11 points from their 23 games.

ETA the bulk of the gap was made up in the first half of the season with us taking 17 points from the last 16 games and Alloa taking 11.

And with us winning one of the head to heads in the second half of the season, against everybody else in the league Alloa have taken 10 points and we have taken 13. So, not much between the teams since the turn of the year.

Interesting stats. Would be good to see where Queens were at against other clubs in the Championship.

I know you're being flippant, but taking into account the rotten run we've been on away from home, and having been behind twice it is a pretty good result.

Better Queens teams than the current lot have struggled up in Alloa.

At least Queens stopped equaling their modern day record of 8 straight away league defeats yesterday. LOL

We started yesterday with a 4-4-1-1 formation which for me is overly complicating things unnecessarily. We were playing on a pitch that had been dramatically reduced in size and for Millar in this No 10 role the was literally no space whatsover. Our Manager seems obsessed with changing systems for every game and I am adamant that he is no further forward in finding his best 11 as he was at the start of the season.

We started yesterday with the exact same formation as Tuesday and almost the same as the week before, Millar playing in a more advanced role instead of Murdoch in a central 3 being the only difference.

The game is really not nearly as complicated as we are making it. We have a decent goalie and a solid enough back 4 when all are fit.We have to pick two central midfielders and two decent wide midfielders. Two players up front preferably one with pace and mobility and one who can hold the ball up and link the play. We have a decent enough squad to be able put out a pretty strong line up along these lines but we change our pattern of play 2/3 times in every match and in all honesty how well has this scattergun approach served us?

We started with two central midfielders and two wide players. There was only one up front, presumably to accommodate Millar.

Excellent highlights, well done. Had to laugh at Russell raging at Megginson after he was clearly booted up in the air for the penalty. The banter in earshot of the camera was also pretty good entertainment.

Russell doesnt react after the penalty. He has a go at someone, Holmes I think, earlier after a blatant dive. Still a bit of a cheek mind you  :lol:

Archived