Stenny vs Ayr

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, that sucked. The second-half performance was a goddamn shambles and, based on that 45 minutes alone, we'll be slipping into League 2 next season. It looked as though the players had given up midway through it - we were defensively unsound, we lacked muscle in midfield and I can only remember Greg Fleming having to make three saves of note throughout. We're in big bother.

I couldn't quite believe Ayr United scored within 60 seconds. As the teams sized each other up, someone sent a gorgeous ball over the top to Michael Donald, who had blindsided auxiliary full-back Jon Robertson and had nipped in goal-side. Donald's first touch was sensational and allowed him to both take it into his stride and away from Robertson, but the finish was even better, a laser-guided shot into the side of the net. There's something horrible and inevitable about last-minute goals, but there's a sense of disbelief about early goals. I wondered if it even counted at all; I blame shooting Shed End first half.

After the goal, the game quickly settled into a rhythm, with Ayr looking the better of the two sides, but only slightly. After about 20 minutes, Stenhousemuir took control and forced the Honest Men back for long spells. Stenny couldn't really force a way through - Ayr defended well (Alan Cook saw three 25-yard shots blocked in quick succession), stopped any incoming crosses and dealt with anything in the skies. The one time Stenny did get in behind, when Lewis Small spun Peter Murphy (I think), Greg Fleming was out to make the save. At half-time, the home side could have gone in level. Small was doing alright with what he was served, while Angus Beith was very good at keeping things ticking over, recycling the ball well to keep Ayr pegged back.

At the interval, I said to myself: "More of the same and we'll get right back into it" but the second half started exactly the same as the first! I can't quite remember what happened but I think Craig Moore was left unmarked and whacked it into the net. Again, the same feeling of disbelief swept over me like a tide of human shit. I think the turning point came shortly afterwards - Colin McMenamin was sent through on goal, one-on-one with Fleming, and whacked his shot of the goalkeeper's chest. We had done nothing at all at that point and that felt like the chance. Who knows what might have happened if he scored

Ciaran Summers had replaced Jon Robertson and came in at left-back in a reshuffled defence and played pretty poorly - he cut down the sprightly yung Ross McCrorie to concede a penalty for the third goal and then made a hellish pass straight to Jordan Preston for the fourth. It's Summers' 21st birthday today; it's not got off to a great start.

Ayr were obviously a lot better than us but the big thing I noticed was how physically stronger they were than us. Preston was rag-dolling boys at points, while we didn't stretch Murphy or Andy Graham enough and played to their strengths (a better side would have worked those two centre-backs, they're there for the taking). There's just big, strong boys across the pitch - Moore, Nicky Devlin and Paddy Boyle are all deceptively strong too. That's the second time I've seen Ross Docherty this season and I'd say he's been what I'd consider to be the best player in the division. He's very good on the ball, never ever flustered, and he puts himself about without it. He offers great ballast to the team.

As for Stenhousemuir, I don't know what to say. Beith was probably our best player but disappeared in the second half; Small worked hard with the scraps he got and got beyond Graham and Murphy a couple of times with clever runs; and Alan Cook and Mark Gilhaney worked hard. But that's about it. A day to forget.

We're in a terrible slump at the moment and it doesn't look like abating. We've been lucky we made a decent start to the season - since the New Year, we've been statistically the worst side in the division (12 points from 14 games, an average of 0.86 points per match). Thank goodness Forfar Athletic lost. It's still in our own hands, so that's something but it cannot be overstated - we need something from Cowdenbeath and Albion Rovers. Christ knows what'll happen there though.

Out to Ally Gemmell, 41 years old today and lifelong VL.

That second half was utter drivel. We should have been at least level at half time but we deserved nothing overall after that embarrassing second half.

Can't see where another win is coming from.

Every single one of the back like had a nightmare today. We might play some nice football but our goals against is embarrassing.

We have nothing up front now. God knows how we can possibly get the goals to stay up.

Sad to see stevo running off at the end with what looked like a petted lip. Great performance today, and my grandson (in the blue coat) behind the goals was featured in almost every shot.

Only going by the highlights but Murphy didn't appear to be doing much defending whatsoever. Graham with a few cracking blocks and tackles. Another three or four brilliant saves from Fleming too, he's been great recently.

Ciaran Summers had replaced Jon Robertson and came in at left-back in a reshuffled defence and played pretty poorly - he cut down the sprightly yung Ross McCrorie to concede a penalty for the third goal and then made a hellish pass straight to Jordan Preston for the fourth. It's Summers' 21st birthday today; it's not got off to a great start.

It wasn't Ciaran Summers who made the pass, it was Euan Murray.

Archived