Led Zep - trial scheduled for 10 May

FlyerTon

Spot on.

The Eagles were accused of pinching Hotel California from Jethro Tull. This was Ian Andersons take on it.

Was Hotel California based on a Jethro Tull song?

Ian Anderson: "It was a piece of music that we were playing around the time... I believe it was late '71, maybe early '72 when we were on tour and we had a support band who had been signed up for the tour, and subsequently, before the tour began, had a hit single. The song, I believe, called "Take It Easy." And they were indeed the Eagles. We didn't interact with them very much because they were countrified laid back polite rock, and we were a bit wacky and English and doing weird stuff. And I don't think they liked us, and we didn't much like them. There was no communication, really, at all. Just a polite observance of each other's space when it came to sound checks and show time. But they probably heard us play the song, because that would have featured in the sets back then, and maybe it was just something they kind of picked up on subconsciously, and introduced that chord sequence into their famous song "Hotel California" sometime later. But, you know, it's not plagiarism. It's just the same chord sequence. It's in a different time signature, different key, different context. And it's a very, very fine song that they wrote, so I can't feel anything other than a sense of happiness for their sake. And I feel flattered that they came across that chord sequence. But it's difficult to find a chord sequence that hasn't been used, and hasn't been the focus of lots of pieces of music. It's harmonic progression is almost a mathematical certainty you're gonna crop up with the same thing sooner or later if you sit strumming a few chords on a guitar.

There's certainly no bitterness or any sense of plagiarism attached to my view on it, although I do sometimes allude, in a joking way, to accepting it as a kind of tribute. It's a bit like this tribute Rolex that I'm wearing"

I think the Spirit guys just spent all their money on bad weed or something and are looking to ease their twilight years a bit!

Don Felder wrote the main theme of Hotel California and he did nt join the Eagles until 1974

It works both ways - few rock bands have been copied more than Zep.

Here's a copy of Zep's Out on the Tiles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MA0m1K2jW4

And a copy of Kashmir: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2S1JKJqXvQ

I'm not trying to justify Zep's ripoffery, btw.

Even stylistically, Plant apes Steve Marriot at times, Coverdale copies Plant, Pete Townshend reckons Zep copied The Who, and they ploughed a similar furrow to Cream and Hendrix.

"We're all jackdaws" [Robert Plant]

And ??

In the article you quoted Ian Anderson referred to touring with Eagles in 71/72 and the fact that they would have heard the Tull set on a regular basis and so may have picked up the riff for Hotel California. But since the writer of that riff wasn't there that couldn't have been the case

In the article you quoted Ian Anderson referred to touring with Eagles in 71/72 and the fact that they would have heard the Tull set on a regular basis and so may have picked up the riff for Hotel California. But since the writer of that riff wasn't there that couldn't have been the case

Read it again and try to understand what the guy is actually saying.

Also try to appreciate how bands/groups actually work and interact.

Or don't if you don't want to. It really doesn't matter ;)

Read it again and try to understand what the guy is actually saying.

Also try to appreciate how bands/groups actually work and interact.

Or don't if you don't want to. It really doesn't matter ;)

I can read thanks, I think I know what he's saying.

• 2 months later...

Archived