Hampden Pitch to be relaid for the semi-finals

Davie Bhoy

So today it emerged that the pitch at Hampden is set to be relaid after today's Petrowhitsitcalledagain Cup final...only weeks after they relaid it so it would be sorted for...ummmm the semi-finals.

Not sure where I stand with this one. Yes the pitch is crap & Indid have my fears about it for Sunday, especially after it'd be played on 24 hours earlier. The pitch helped save Sevco from getting humped last season and could benefit them again.

However they say a new pitch normally takes a few weeks to bed in, so how can this new pitch possibly be ready for this weekends games....and two of them at that?

But if a lose/lose situation.

What's your views on the plan to relay the pitch?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly. Playing football in a stadium which we own. Whatever are we thinking?

TBH though mate, while I get where you're coming from & if I was a QP fan, I'd be thinking the same, there should be a common sense solution here. The SFA & SPFL pay good money to use Hampden so when a new pitch is laid and semi-finals & finals etc come around, I don't think it's unreasonable to maybe come to a deal where QP use Lesser Hampden for a few games to allow the pitch to be as best it can be.

When Celtic Park got rented for the Commonwealth Games, we moved some games to Murrayfield. A different city...you are only being expected to move a few yards to a place more suited to your needs for a few games.

Has anyone actually been to Lesser Hampden? No way would it be suitable for QP in SPFL - it has a couple of hundred open seats. It's not a stadium.

https://andyfuryfootballgrounds.wordpress.com/2015/06/05/lesser-hampden-queens-park-occasionally/comment-page-1/

EDIT: Has it been convincingly demonstrated that QP games are the 'problem', anyway?

wpid-img_7842.jpg

wpid-img_7919.jpg

TBH though mate, while I get where you're coming from & if I was a QP fan, I'd be thinking the same, there should be a common sense solution here. The SFA & SPFL pay good money to use Hampden so when a new pitch is laid and semi-finals & finals etc come around, I don't think it's unreasonable to maybe come to a deal where QP use Lesser Hampden for a few games to allow the pitch to be as best it can be.

When Celtic Park got rented for the Commonwealth Games, we moved some games to Murrayfield. A different city...you are only being expected to move a few yards to a place more suited to your needs for a few games.

Should only happen if Queens Park get the majority of the takings from the Semi-Final. After all, Celtic got more money than either of the Finalists in 2014, so thats your benchmark.

Exactly. Playing football in a stadium which we own. Whatever are we thinking?

No offence but you own it on a technicality, QP owned and paid for the upkeep of the ground till about a hundred years ago. Since then the upkeep and, more importantly the millions spent renovating it have came from the SFA to make it a stadium fit to hold Internationals and Cup Semis and Finals*

The pitch seems to be fine till it comes to the second half of the season, when the cup semis and finals are due, clearly the amount of games and playing on it through winter are having an effect on it. Perhaps a compromise could be reached in that Queens Park play away from home from mid December to mid January or have one or two home games played at Airdrie and their 4G pitch which they used during the Commonwealth Games, or the SFA could erect a temporary stand of 800 or so like you see at Alloa and Hamilton alongside Lesser Hampden? For having the use of what is technicaly a 5 star stadium* for hee haw all season I dont think vacating it for a month or 6 weeks in the harshest part of winter is asking a great deal of Queens Park FC

*As regulars at Scotland games and cup semis and finals will testify the ground, South Stand apart was renovated on the cheap, behind both goals the view is abysmal and other facilities such as parking etc are pretty brutal as well, a national stadium in name only, national embarrasment more like

Should only happen if Queens Park get the majority of the takings from the Semi-Final. After all, Celtic got more money than either of the Finalists in 2014, so thats your benchmark.

To be fair Celtic paid for the building and upkeep of the stadium used for both finals and own it outright, QPFC pay and paid zip and are owners in name only

Has anyone actually been to Lesser Hampden? No way would it be suitable for QP in SPFL - it has a couple of hundred open seats. It's not a stadium.

https://andyfuryfootballgrounds.wordpress.com/2015/06/05/lesser-hampden-queens-park-occasionally/comment-page-1/

EDIT: Has it been convincingly demonstrated that QP games are the 'problem', anyway?

wpid-img_7842.jpg

wpid-img_7919.jpg

To be fair mate, it wouldn't take much to throw a roof over those seats. My local Jr club managed to do it with their ground. I'm sure it could be adapted to be suitable with little fuss.

To be fair mate, it wouldn't take much to throw a roof over those seats. My local Jr club managed to do it with their ground. I'm sure it could be adapted to be suitable with little fuss.

:lol:... Queen's Park average crowd is 400-500+.

To be fair Celtic paid for the building and upkeep of the stadium used for both finals and own it outright, QPFC pay and paid zip and are owners in name only

I still don't see how that justifies you getting the majority of money made from ticket sales, tbh, nor how it justifies you getting over quarter of a million pounds 

Celtic fans do realise other clubs need to survive and not just do things to suit them dont they?

What does this have to do with raising the question about the pitch though. This affects all 4 semi-finalists this weekend.

Archived