Buchanan

Docherty

Walsh

Routledge

Lindsay

Waters

Flembot

Prince Nade

I'm on my phone so I'm unable to put them into a nice starting 11 layout without it looking like a Sunday morning tollie.

Would rather we didn't start with Barr in midfield in favour of Walsh out wide but if he's fit I'd imagine we will. Feels harsh to drop Buchanan after a few great performances so unless we replace Wright with Barr I'd have Barr on the bench. Waters has a good delivery which could be ideal with Nade prowling in the box, he also offers good protection to the full back.

A lot of folk would like to see Fleming deeper in midfield but I'd rather have him further up the park. We're already dreadfully short of forward players so I wouldn't want to see one of them deployed too deep.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ewings

Saunders Buchanan Wright Docherty

Walsh Fleming/Jono Lindsay Waters

Cawley

Nade

Cawley was effective playing just behind Nade against Hibs but hasn't played there since.

Did he not play in there the very next game and have a stinker? Possibly Livi away?

Anytime I've seen Cawley through the middle he's just as wasteful as he is out wide. Happy for him to prove me wrong, start through the middle and have a stormer right enough

The back 4 and keeper will be unchanged from Ibrox, they all had good games.

Further forward is where it gets interesting. There isn't space for all 3 of Routledge, Lindsay and Barr. It makes us far too narrow and the management team have to recognise this and stick one of them on the bench. Get some proper wide players on and go for the jugular.

The 4-3-3 formation we played on Saturday was a new one to me I think and there were pros and cons to it.

The obvious pro is it enabled us to play all three of Tapping, Hutton and Murdoch, as well as three forwards in Russell, Hilson and Oliver.  There can be no accusations of negative tactics in that game.

The main con was that it meant we relied on our full-backs for width, and although they got forward plenty, the final ball was lacking.  This was due to a combination of poor delivery from Kidd, the fact Lyle wasn't on the park to do anything with the crosses, and the fact that Higgins is a centre-half not an attacking full-back.

One of the occasions we actually played through the middle, we scored a very good goal.

It's a formation worth considering for the future, but I think for it to fully work we would need Marshall and Lyle in the team.  I don't think it fully brought out the best in Murdoch either, although that could have been down to him having an off day rather than anything to do with the formation.  He's done well for us in spells, but not enough that we should be playing a formation specifically to accommodate him.  Hutton and Tapping are the clear first choice pairing as far as I'm concerned.

I'd go with a basic 4-4-2 for this one.  Unless Marshall is fit again the left-back issue remains, but a return to a midfield four would reduce the need for Higgins to get forward as much, allowing him to stick to what he is good at.  Hilson looks like a real player and is very strong when it comes to holding up the ball on the ground, but he is going to lose the aerial battle nine times out of ten.

Thomson

Kidd Brownlie Dowie Higgins

Harris Tapping Hutton Russell

Lyle Hilson

The only problem with the above is trying to decide who to play on the right of midfield as no-one as especially made it their own.  Has Murdoch played out wide for us at all aside from at full-back?  I've opted for Harris as I think he is the most direct out of all of the options that we have.  Oliver holds onto the ball better than Harris, but he does this by slowing everything down.  He may lose it in the process bu at least Harris will try and run at the defence.

I just realised that not only has Lindsay not scored, he doesn't even have an assist. Still a quality player though.

For me its the one thing missing from his game. He doesn't seem to have shooting boots in his locker and to be honest I don't think he'll make it at the top level without it

I just realised that not only has Lindsay not scored, he doesn't even have an assist. Still a quality player though.

I make it he has two, even if they weren't stunners. He played the pass for Cawley's goal against Hibs, and Nade's first against Alloa came from his (underhit) corner that bobbled through to the big man.

I don't think playing for the 0-0 martyrs has helped Lindsay's cause this season. Plop him into the likes of the Falkirk or Raith midfield and I reckon you'd see him with a few goals to his name.

Either way I still think he's our best all round player by a fair distance. I'd bite my own cock and balls off to get him back on loan for another season.

Feeling the love on this thread lol,

Fwiw I don't see any reason for you to worry.

I told you weeks ago that we'd finish 9th and with 3 games to go away to QoS, and at home to Rangers and Raith we'll be lucky to get 1 point never mind anymore.

Archived