London

QPStu

Just now, Sergeant Wilson said:

Should read Leadenhall.

Was going to pull you up for that but thought better of it. ;)

Sure I've been there before, looks familiar at least. Back down to London in October so will try to pay a visit.

Just now, The Naitch said:

Was going to pull you up for that but thought better of it. ;)

Sure I've been there before, looks familiar at least. Back down to London in October so will try to pay a visit.

It's  a few hundred yards from Duck and Waffle. Watling  Street around there has a few good pubs as well. I might be, inadvertently, giving the impression I visit a lot of pubs.

I had pie, mash and liquor in a place in Poplar, wasn't very good. I expect there's better available in nicer places.

I've never tried to get in to Billingsgate Fish Market, not sure if the public are allowed but I thought it might be worth a look around.

14 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Overpriced? Yes. But not over-rated.

I've had maybe half a dozen-or-so long weekends in London over the last 10-15 years and never once did I not have a great time.

It is what you make of it as they say.

Out of all the major European cities I've taken a break in London was the most underwhelming imo.

Think it'd be better for people coming from abroad for a visit.  At the end of the day it's just a big British city for me and I don't actually holiday in the UK anymore when you can fly to any big city in mainland Europe so cheaply and easily and once you're over there hotels, food, drink etc tend to be better and cheaper also.

I'm sure if you lived there for a while you'd learn  about a lot of good things that you don't find out about when you're on a short break but even then a place like Berlin pisses all over it imo when it comes to places to drink, parties, arts, peoplewatching etc.

Edited by Pete Rockwell

5 hours ago, Pete Rockwell said:

Out of all the major European cities I've taken a break in London was the most underwhelming imo.

The few times I visited before living there I thought it was an overpriced shithole. Took me about a year to find loads of good places.

34 minutes ago, 2lgm said:

Thinking of going to London in January for a week with the family. Any of you guys been at that time of year, is the weather restrictive?

There's the occasional tornado or sand storm, but generally it's a bit like Alloa, weatherwise. Pack lead lined wellies and goggles for the kids just in case.

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

There's the occasional tornado or sand storm, but generally it's a bit like Alloa, weatherwise. Pack lead lined wellies and goggles for the kids just in case.

Good one, cheers. Not sure what it'll be like for visiting at that time of year. What about a gas mask would that be a bit ott?

23 minutes ago, 2lgm said:

Good one, cheers. Not sure what it'll be like for visiting at that time of year. What about a gas mask would that be a bit ott?

If you carry them in cardboard boxes hung by string from your necks it might freak out some elderly locals, so a definite yes.

On 20/08/2016 at 01:09, Honest_Man#1 said:

I wasn't a big fan of Berlin when I went tbh but I admittedly didn't do much sightseeing etc as it was on a stag. But I definitely couldn't have lived there I don't think. 

Did you spend anytime in areas like Kreuzberg, Neukoln, Friedrichshain or Mitte? 

42 minutes ago, Fat Joe da Gangsta said:

Did you spend anytime in areas like Kreuzberg, Neukoln, Friedrichshain or Mitte? 

Stayed in Mitte, which I thought was decent enough but nothing special. Went to Kreuzberg and it was an extremely varied place. Walked into one place that turned out to be a full blown skinhead, hate pub and went two doors down into a place that was mostly filled with black guys smoking weed. A very strange area.

Lived in London for most of the last six years now and still love it.

It's an incredible city that has so many great places to visit an discover. As for the cost, things are more expensive but when you know the city/where to live you can actually find good places for a reasonable price. Also, the wages are a lot higher - as a teacher with management responsibilities in a primary school, I get paid more than a headteacher job I had a look at back home a year or so ago.

In terms of restaurant tips, I echo the shout for Dinner by Heston. The Walpole in Chiswick is great. For steak, MASH near Picadilly is great - if you book through open table it sometimes does a 50% off deal so me and the Mrs shared an incredible porterhouse steak for 45 pounds last week. Brasserie Zedel around the corner from that is nice enough and an iconic building. Scarf - Tower Hill has a Bodean's BBQ place if you are into that, their game day special is about 15 quid and is basically a ton of ribs, wings, pulled port and other stuff and a pint if you like that kind of thing done well.

For the guy that's moving - any advice/tips, feel free to ask.

On 24 August 2016 at 14:11, JMDP said:

Lived in London for most of the last six years now and still love it.

It's an incredible city that has so many great places to visit an discover. As for the cost, things are more expensive but when you know the city/where to live you can actually find good places for a reasonable price. Also, the wages are a lot higher - as a teacher with management responsibilities in a primary school, I get paid more than a headteacher job I had a look at back home a year or so ago.

In terms of restaurant tips, I echo the shout for Dinner by Heston. The Walpole in Chiswick is great. For steak, MASH near Picadilly is great - if you book through open table it sometimes does a 50% off deal so me and the Mrs shared an incredible porterhouse steak for 45 pounds last week. Brasserie Zedel around the corner from that is nice enough and an iconic building. Scarf - Tower Hill has a Bodean's BBQ place if you are into that, their game day special is about 15 quid and is basically a ton of ribs, wings, pulled port and other stuff and a pint if you like that kind of thing done well.

For the guy that's moving - any advice/tips, feel free to ask.

Going down for a long weekend from 9 September.  Can you recommend any nice Italian places; not bothered if it's cheap or expensive just somewhere cosy and laid back.

Back down again on Friday, seems like I'm never away from the place lately.  Going to go on one of the speedboat things down to the barrier, never done it before. Has anyone done this? Do you end up soaking? Dunno if i can handle walking about London like I've pished myself after it.