London

QPStu

Heading to London for a long weekend tomorrow for the 1st time in a few years, and I've just clocked the price of the Tube. £12.10 for a day ticket?! But £7.60 with an Oyster Card. Question is: can i get a Oyster card at a main station or tube station that will save me a few pound while I'm there for 3 days? The Transport for London website doesn't make it particularly clear.

The fishy bloke is right (damn I said it) but if you've a contactless debit card that works too.

Was there last Thursday to Sunday with the wife and her wee boy.  Booked the Harry Potter studio tour in Watford and that was quite #dece.  Saturday we had the London Eye and the Aquarium booked, as they're right next to each other.

I have to say I was fairly impressed by the London Eye.  Considering it was a Saturday in June, we were only queuing for half an hour and constantly shuffling slowly along the whole time.  Some Brad Pitt lookalike with his 2 daughters was in front of us, whining the whole time about how much he hates 'tourist traps' and that the Eye is 'One of the worst'.  Imagine having to fucking queue for the most popular tourist attraction in one of the biggest cities on the planet on a Saturday in summer.

The ride itself was decent, great views over the city, particularly of the Shard. We went on the city tour boat along the Thames to Tower Bridge and back after which provided a good view of the landmarks.

Very tiring though, and a lot of walking in a very humid environment.  The wee guy was struggling big time.  But a decent weekend break.  Would recommend to a friend and some enemies.

I did the Eye two Sundays ago.  We were the last ride on at 9pm and the sky was dull and a bit rainy.  Great views nonetheless.

However, for a lot less (i.e. no) money there are great views to be had at Sky Garden, 20 Fenchurch St, which just needs a free reservation.  I did that two days later and enjoyed it just as much.

http://skygarden.london/

Edited by bunglebonce

Heading to London for a long weekend tomorrow for the 1st time in a few years, and I've just clocked the price of the Tube. £12.10 for a day ticket?! But £7.60 with an Oyster Card. Question is: can i get a Oyster card at a main station or tube station that will save me a few pound while I'm there for 3 days? The Transport for London website doesn't make it particularly clear.

No. The £7.60 Oyster cap indicates that you are travelling in zones 1 to 3. There is no 3 day ticket, just weekly Travelcards at £32.40. You can buy Oyster Cards and top them up in newsagents too. 

• 4 weeks later...

Moving to London with work soon for 6 months. Seems that finding a flat to stay (sharing with randoms is a last resort) for that time is a bit of a nightmare. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Office is Canary Wharf but anywhere within reasonable distance that can be travelled by tube/bus would be fine.

5 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Moving to London with work soon for 6 months. Seems that finding a flat to stay (sharing with randoms is a last resort) for that time is a bit of a nightmare. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Office is Canary Wharf but anywhere within reasonable distance that can be travelled by tube/bus would be fine.

Renting a flat in London is dear as f**k. sharing would be cheaper and easier, especially as its only for 6months. Have a look in the Greenwich or Surrey Quays areas.....definitely not Deptford though!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2016 at 00:38, Honest_Man#1 said:

I'll come and visit you in September, that'll be nice won't it?

On 8/2/2016 at 00:38, Honest_Man#1 said:

You get what you pay for, if you want a place to yourself within easy commuting I'd be thinking about the Lewisham area. Greenwich is hugely expensive, but there are nice bits within supposedly bad areas like Deptford or New Cross. London's basically a network of tiny villages, I'd work out the travelling time and don't dismiss an area because of its reputation, everywhere's got good and bad. Then you have Tower Hamlets and Hackney to the North, same situation but maybe more expensive because of proximity to the City. Your best hope is finding someone who wants someone to look after their flat, especially council or housing association, while they're away. Happens a lot but not sure if there's a forum for it. Had a flat in the heart of Soho for 6 months like that. Otherwise you'll be sharing a Young Ones hovel in Newham.

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'll come and visit you in September, that'll be nice won't it?

Well, that's a bit creepy. 

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

You get what you pay for, if you want a place to yourself within easy commuting I'd be thinking about the Lewisham area. Greenwich is hugely expensive, but there are nice bits within supposedly bad areas like Deptford or New Cross. London's basically a network of tiny villages, I'd work out the travelling time and don't dismiss an area because of its reputation, everywhere's got good and bad. Then you have Tower Hamlets and Hackney to the North, same situation but maybe more expensive because of proximity to the City. Your best hope is finding someone who wants someone to look after their flat, especially council or housing association, while they're away. Happens a lot but not sure if there's a forum for it. Had a flat in the heart of Soho for 6 months like that. Otherwise you'll be sharing a Young Ones hovel in Newham.

Managed to get a studio in Blackwall. It was a bit more expensive than some I looked at but it meant I didn't have to pay for a monthly travel card, it had a gym nearby included in the price so didn't have to pay that and it was a newer build so the bills were far lower. Appreciate the advice though, cheers.

36 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Managed to get a studio in Blackwall. It was a bit more expensive than some I looked at but it meant I didn't have to pay for a monthly travel card, it had a gym nearby included in the price so didn't have to pay that and it was a newer build so the bills were far lower. Appreciate the advice though, cheers.

Didn't notice you'd asked the question a couple of weeks ago, but still quick finding a place, especially in London! It will be a bit like living in an airport but you'll have great transport links if you want out of a JG Ballard dystopia for a spell, and you can stroll under the Thames to Greenwich for a pint. Haven't been in London for years though, the Isle of Dogs might have developed a real community since they separated the old estates with the new developments with barbed wire and security guards.

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Didn't notice you'd asked the question a couple of weeks ago, but still quick finding a place, especially in London! It will be a bit like living in an airport but you'll have great transport links if you want out of a JG Ballard dystopia for a spell, and you can stroll under the Thames to Greenwich for a pint. Haven't been in London for years though, the Isle of Dogs might have developed a real community since they separated the old estates with the new developments with barbed wire and security guards.

Just went down for a couple of days and did 9-5 looking around all over the place. The Blackwall area didn't seem like it had much to it, but walking distance to Canary Wharf and the tube to anywhere is brilliant for me. 

2 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Just went down for a couple of days and did 9-5 looking around all over the place. The Blackwall area didn't seem like it had much to it, but walking distance to Canary Wharf and the tube to anywhere is brilliant for me. 

You could have done an awful lot worse, especially if it's only for 6 months.

21 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Well, that's a bit creepy. 

No it'll be great, banana owns Canary Wharf we can meet him.

Somewhere else, obviously, Canary Wharf, Canning Town, Poplar etc are all shite for one reason or another. Greenwich is alright, as WB says. 

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

Going back down again next month with the wife for my birthday.  Booked into the Tower Hill Citizen M which is right next to the Tube station and about 52,353 pubs.  I imagine it shall be v v #DECE.

5 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

See you there. This will be better than throbber's imaginary camping trip.

This will be the first time I've been to London in about 12 years.  Anytime I see it on TV it looks like it's changed a lot in that time.