London

QPStu

35 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Hotel prices have gone through the roof post-Covid. Can’t even get a 3 star hotel in a relatively central location for under £150 a night when I’m heading down.

Motel One in Tower Hill is usually pretty decent value and is relatively central if you haven't already tried there. Pretty much my go to hotel whenever I'm down.

18 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Hotel prices have gone through the roof post-Covid. Can’t even get a 3 star hotel in a relatively central location for under £150 a night when I’m heading down.

If you are prepared to stay further out I would recommend Premier Inn, Croydon Town Centre.

Croydon itself isn't up to much but the hotel is right next to East Croydon station and there is also a Boxpark along the road if you fancy a drink or whatever when you get back from London.

There are that many trains into Victoria and London Bridge per hour that it's just like a tube station, as in you don't need to plan your journey, just turn up and you'll be sorted within a few minutes.

Journey time is just under 20 mins on the non stopping trains.

It's also still within the TFL area (Zone 5) which is handy if you're doing a lot of running about on public transport as your journeys in and out of London will be included in your daily price cap.

21 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Been looking to go down for a few days in the summer and like you said prices have gone through the roof. 

2 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Been looking to go down for a few days in the summer and like you said prices have gone through the roof. 

My friends who live in Florida are over in the summer. They asked if we could go down and meet them. Very little change out of £800 for 2/3 days.

Yep prices are fucking mental for hotels in and around central now, Travelodge & Premier Inn deals are really the best bet. I don't think trains go to East Croydon as regularly as they once did, but you can get in and out of London Blackfriars throughout the night at least once an hour. 

You could go further out to Three Bridges (useful if flying from Gatwick), and you can get a quick train into London Bridge in about half hour or so. 

We were in London at the start of this week - we must have been incredibly lucky as we got a room at the Melia White House (just at the southern entrance to Regent's Park, ten minutes walk from Euston) for £120 for the night. Always worth being signed up to hotel loyalty programmes and keeping an eye out for deals - that's how we got that one. Superb hotel as well.

3 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

We were in London at the start of this week - we must have been incredibly lucky as we got a room at the Melia White House (just at the southern entrance to Regent's Park, ten minutes walk from Euston) for £120 for the night. Always worth being signed up to hotel loyalty programmes and keeping an eye out for deals - that's how we got that one. Superb hotel as well.

Oddly enough have stayed with them in a few different places and they always tend to give decent discounts for recurring bookings. I think I have a 20% discount somewhere, if of use to anyone I can PM the code over if still in date.

You could also consider hotels at Heathrow, which can sometimes be reasonably priced, at least by London standards. You've got options through the Picadilly and Elizabeth lines, which are frequent enough. Travel within Heathrow is also free (even on the Heathrow Express), if you need to move between terminals to get the train that you need etc. 

Downside is that you are in Zone 6 and so travel travelcard costs will be higher than if you're central and will not be travelling far to see what you want to see. If you stay at a Bath Road hotel rather than one inside the airport boundary, you'll also need to get a bus into Heathrow to get the tube, although it'll be covered under tour travelcard. You could get the bus into the city as well I am sure, but that will probably take ages. 

I was down on Easter weekend and stayed in the Apex near Tower Hill station. Great location for the city or travelling on circle and district lines, no complaints with the hotel, all very nice. I think we paid just under £200 a night, but I assumed it was higher than usual due to it being Easter... Perhaps not but possibly worth a look.

The Four Seasons across the road looked very nice but probably about 4 times the price!

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, ScotiaNostra said:

any good tips for air bnbs or apartments, for family of 4? I know London reasonably well but haven't been there in about 10 years. So presume some amount of change.  

We are down in July and got a 2 bedroom Airbnb not far from Paddington for £340 for 3 nights so check around that area 

• 3 months later...
22 minutes ago, ScotiaNostra said:

whats the best and cheapest options for london transport when down in London for 4/5 days? For a family travelling.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/free-and-discounted-travel/5-10-zip-oyster-photocard?intcmp=55572

Free kids travel and most probably a 7 day pass for adults 

21 minutes ago, ScotiaNostra said:

How was your trip in July? hope you had a good one.

Yeah we were down for Springsteen/ iron maiden and errrrr the Abba experience so everyday covered with gigs.We both lived in the big smoke at different points in our lives so didn't really do much touristy stuff apart from the maiden gig as it was at the 02 ( millennium dome) and we took the Uber boat which was pleasant way to spend an hour and decent way to travel to a gig 

7 hours ago, doulikefish said:

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/free-and-discounted-travel/5-10-zip-oyster-photocard?intcmp=55572

Free kids travel and most probably a 7 day pass for adults 

Yeah we were down for Springsteen/ iron maiden and errrrr the Abba experience so everyday covered with gigs.We both lived in the big smoke at different points in our lives so didn't really do much touristy stuff apart from the maiden gig as it was at the 02 ( millennium dome) and we took the Uber boat which was pleasant way to spend an hour and decent way to travel to a gig 

Ages since I've been on one.

sub3_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq0CjG5m5anLXLD_-K2ceRsNVSpfFxuU2jZG0HzVweans.jpg

• 2 months later...