London

QPStu

On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 12:11, H Wragg said:

We’re going to be in London on the weekend of the final, so let’s say England are in it.

Looking for recommendations for family friendly pubs that won’t be populated by chavs likely to end up running amok, win or lose.

We are staying in Croydon so South preferred but have Oyster Card, will travel.

Ideally would like places with a beer garden and close to tube/rail network.

If anyone knows anything about The Builders Arms in Croydon and what it’s like when big games are on advice on that also appreciated.

Here's a tip if visiting London. Use your debit card as a travel pass and remember under 11 travel free on tube and buses accompanied by an adult. eg staying in Hotel in (Wembley Zone 4). I traveled between zone 4 to zone 1 on tube. Zone 1 to zone 1 by bus. Zone 1 to zone 4 by tube for £6 and change. It is actually capped at £8.40 for the day unlimited.

Edited by new kyd in town
typo

• 1 month later...

Anyone know what the Elephant & Castle/Walworth area of London is like? Looking at an Airbnb there but seems it has a dodgy reputation. Only using it as a base to get to the city proper so not bothered about restaurants, just as long as it's safe to get to and from the tube.

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

Anyone know what the Elephant & Castle/Walworth area of London is like? Looking at an Airbnb there but seems it has a dodgy reputation. Only using it as a base to get to the city proper so not bothered about restaurants, just as long as it's safe to get to and from the tube.

I've never heard of it standing out more than any other. As long as you're not in a high rise or an estate in the depths of it.

On 16/12/2018 at 20:27, Sergeant Wilson said:

I've never heard of it standing out more than any other. As long as you're not in a high rise or an estate in the depths of it.

Cheers, turned out there was an issue with the check-in time so it was a no-go anyway.

Ended up with a place in the Colliers Wood/Tooting area. Doing the London Marathon in April and it's near a Tube station so should be ideal.

On 17/12/2018 at 21:01, Stu said:

Cheers, turned out there was an issue with the check-in time so it was a no-go anyway.

Ended up with a place in the Colliers Wood/Tooting area. Doing the London Marathon in April and it's near a Tube station so should be ideal.

Probably best you avoided E&C, it’s a dump.

48 minutes ago, VladimirMooc said:

Not that it matters, but it isn’t really. Lots of redevelopments and it’s a very short walk from Borough High Street/London Bridge. There’s much worse places in London.

There’s plenty of worse areas, but that doesn’t make it nice. I wouldn’t live there certainly. 

On 12/18/2018 at 23:02, Honest_Man#1 said:

Probably best you avoided E&C, it’s a dump.

Agreed. In my eight years in London it's one of the few places I didn't really enjoy. The tunnels at the roundabout are particularly grim.

8 hours ago, JMDP said:

Agreed. In my eight years in London it's one of the few places I didn't really enjoy. The tunnels at the roundabout are particularly grim.

Haven't been for a while, but the tunnels were a bit spooky. And the shopping centre was a right shithole. But there nice enough places to live nearby.

• 3 weeks later...

We are going to London on Sunday, flying from Edinburgh to Stansted. What's the best way to get from the airport to the Tower Bridge area? According to Google maps, the quickest way is the get a National Express bus from the airport to Mile End then a train from there to Tower Hill. Is this the best way to go? If so, do seats for the bus need to be booked in advance?

We are going to London on Sunday, flying from Edinburgh to Stansted. What's the best way to get from the airport to the Tower Bridge area? According to Google maps, the quickest way is the get a National Express bus from the airport to Mile End then a train from there to Tower Hill. Is this the best way to go? If so, do seats for the bus need to be booked in advance?
Stansted express to Liverpool St, switch to circle line and Tower Hill is a couple of stops away. Not much more than a mile on foot.

• 2 weeks later...
Heading down to london on the 12th of April for the wee mans birthday. Getting tickets for the Joshua fight ( hopefully ) I've googled things to do already but looking for ideas anyone have any suggestions? Will be me, the wife, my son and his pal.
So much to do in London for family's. Legoland, London eye, London zoo, Dungeons, Chesington, all the museums, tower of London, west end theatre shows to name just a few. You will have brilliant time London is awesome.

So much to do in London for family's. Legoland, London eye, London zoo, Dungeons, Chesington, all the museums, tower of London, west end theatre shows to name just a few. You will have brilliant time London is awesome.
Cheers. Fancy going to the tower of London. Wife will no doubt drag us to a west end show.