Worst album you've ever listened to

Francesc Fabregas

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Beginning Stages of... The Polyphonic Spree.

Just an absolute nothing album. The lead vocals are awful, half the songs are identical and it ends with 36 (THIRTY-SIX) minutes of looped vocals. Gimmicky pish. I know they're meant to be fantastic live though so maybe it just doesn't come across on the record.

New Radicals "Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too".

Bought off the back of hearing the annoyingly catchy "You Get What You Give".

I can't help but think the album title was a dig at everyone who bought it.

Metallica - St Anger

no solos, pots and pans drumming, horrific songs. horrific lyrics (St anger round my neck, he never gets respect.. flush it out)

just close thread

Invisible Kid no one knows where he is!

A truly monstrously shit album, although 'Frantic' is a decent tune. The rest are howling garbage.

The Beginning Stages of... The Polyphonic Spree.

Just an absolute nothing album. The lead vocals are awful, half the songs are identical and it ends with 36 (THIRTY-SIX) minutes of looped vocals. Gimmicky pish. I know they're meant to be fantastic live though so maybe it just doesn't come across on the record.

Pretty much spot on. Saw them live, loved them, bought the album, sold it two weeks later.

Invisible Kid no one knows where he is!

A truly monstrously shit album, although 'Frantic' is a decent tune. The rest are howling garbage.

I'm frantic tic tic tic tick Tock (or ticked off - do not want to go back on to it and verify...)

Almost anything by The Red Hot Chili Peppers

Ian Brown - Unfinished Monkey Business (2 good songs but the filler is utter shite)

I love Unfinished Monkey Business. My Star, Corpses and Cant See Me are great tunes. I understand the rest is probably an acquired taste although I think the lo-fi nature of it was a kind of protest against the overblown nature of The Second Coming (another album I love) or maybe Ian Brown was just skint and couldn't afford a proper studio.

Metallica - St Anger

no solos, pots and pans drumming, horrific songs. horrific lyrics (St anger round my neck, he never gets respect.. flush it out)

just close thread

It's like they purposely went out of their way to make it as unlistenable as possible - perhaps at the time it was the only way a bunch of middle-aged squillionaires could find to sound angsty again. The funniest thing at the time it came out was the dyed in the wool Metallica fans attempting to kid on they liked it and it was another work of genius to add to their canon.

Ironically the songs are actually okayish shorn of the horrible production - they run through them all live in the studio on the bonus DVD and while none of them would make any Metallica top 10 I'd ever compile, they're not as abysmal as they sound on the album.

I'm sure a lot of folk would nominate Lulu for the worst album ever as well - perversely I quite like it.

I love Unfinished Monkey Business. My Star, Corpses and Cant See Me are great tunes. I understand the rest is probably an acquired taste although I think the lo-fi nature of it was a kind of protest against the overblown nature of The Second Coming (another album I love) or maybe Ian Brown was just skint and couldn't afford a proper studio.

My Star and Corpses are the two I'd still listen to, the "second half" of the record after Corpses is just diabolical though IMO, I'm pretty sure he had no idea what he was trying to do and just threw enough shit at the wall to stick. Fair enough if you still rate it man but it's defo up there for me.

The 1975's debut is pretty much a horror show of a band pretty far up their own arses. Thankfully showing signs of improvement these days.

Quite into my pop punk, so gave All Time Low's latest effort "Future Hearts" a go since I haven't given that band a shot before. Wish I never had.

I've always detested 'The Resistance' by Muse, where they decided to make a Queen  album and whilst going into full blown Illuninati videos on youtube conspiracy theories instead of just skirting on the sides.

Kid Cudi's Speedin' Bullet 2 Heaven is unlistenable when a Hip Hop artist tries to make a rock album. 

REM -  Monster - Just a really bland album after a couple of phenomenal albums beforehand.

Paolo Nutini - Sunny Side Up - I just found it really twee and annoying and didn't get why he was trying to make an Otis Redding album, Pencil full of Lead is my all time least favourite song.

I've always detested 'The Resistance' by Muse, where they decided to make a Queen album and whilst going into full blown Illuninati videos on youtube conspiracy theories instead of just skirting on the sides.

Kid Cudi's Speedin' Bullet 2 Heaven is unlistenable when a Hip Hop artist tries to make a rock album.

REM - Monster - Just a really bland album after a couple of phenomenal albums beforehand.

Paolo Nutini - Sunny Side Up - I just found it really twee and annoying and didn't get why he was trying to make an Otis Redding album, Pencil full of Lead is my all time least favourite song.

The REM shout is the first one here I've really disagreed with, really like that record

It's like they purposely went out of their way to make it as unlistenable as possible - perhaps at the time it was the only way a bunch of middle-aged squillionaires could find to sound angsty again. The funniest thing at the time it came out was the dyed in the wool Metallica fans attempting to kid on they liked it and it was another work of genius to add to their canon.

Ironically the songs are actually okayish shorn of the horrible production - they run through them all live in the studio on the bonus DVD and while none of them would make any Metallica top 10 I'd ever compile, they're not as abysmal as they sound on the album.

I'm sure a lot of folk would nominate Lulu for the worst album ever as well - perversely I quite like it.

With the St anger theme in mind...

Here's puppets with the snare sound used.

What were they thinking??

Some strange shouts in this thread.

I had a look through my iTunes to see if there was any other junk in there and I'd also give Everything is Borrowed by The Streets. I thought the Streets' first two albums were incredible, the second one especially but Mike Skinner really started to go off the rails by the time A Hardest Way to Make an Easy Living came around (it was probably all the cocaine). He cleaned himself up for their fourth effort, Everything is Borrowed but all the goodness had been sucked out of the band. Whether it was the fact it was recorded using live instruments or he stopped singing about "real life", the whole thing was crap. The title track and The Escapist are solid bookends but everything else in between is really poor - "The Way of the Dodo", "The Sherry End" and "Alleged Legends" are particularly rubbish.

I'm a big Bruce Springsteen fan but  Nebraska and The Ghost of Tom Joad are two of his worst albums. Both are absoloutely morbid from start to finish. Music to slit your wrists to.

Archived