Cockwomble is at it again

I'm nonplussed by claims of any financial benefit – or the 'blue pound' as some would have it. The TV rights are already in place, and from St Johnstone's perspective our average attendances are affected as much by the presence of Aberdeen and Dundee United as they are by Rangers.

In our last games against these clubs, we got 5,800 v old Rangers. This season, 5,712 v Aberdeen in a rearranged fixture and 5,784 v bottom-of-the-table Dundee United. In short, if United go down, Rangers presence will have at best no effect on our attendances.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought clubs couldn't die though. Should have read "5 companies dead in a month".

It is ridiculous though, how exactly does this benefit the game.

Continually focussing on two teams devalues the league. Obviously 2 big clubs etc, but surely they should be highlighting Inverness, Ross Co, St Johnstone all winning their first major, Killie, Aberdeen and St Mirren winning silverware after their respective hiatuses. Hearts getting themselves sorted to the point they are looking at stadium expansion etc etc.

An outsider would be forgiven for thinking that people go to see, for example, a Motherwell v Partick game purely because the old firm play in Scottish football and that tenuous link is the driver for interest in it.

Bollocks.

Im just chuffed that when this new club visits Pittodrie that they wont get the the two away sections that the deed club used to get...........oh hud on, they are gonna boycott all the grounds that voted them down arent they? 

As for Doncaster and his pool table heed.......words cant express how much I detest him

"It was only with the support of the commercial partners at the time that the game has been able to emerge in the health that it is now in."

This is an extraordinary thing to say because what he is actually saying is that the people who are supposed to be promoting Scottish football have less faith in the product than the people they are supposed to be pitching to.

I thought clubs couldn't die though. Should have read "5 companies dead in a month".

It is ridiculous though, how exactly does this benefit the game.

Continually focussing on two teams devalues the league. Obviously 2 big clubs etc, but surely they should be highlighting Inverness, Ross Co, St Johnstone all winning their first major, Killie, Aberdeen and St Mirren winning silverware after their respective hiatuses. Hearts getting themselves sorted to the point they are looking at stadium expansion etc etc.

An outsider would be forgiven for thinking that people go to see, for example, a Motherwell v Partick game purely because the old firm play in Scottish football and that tenuous link is the driver for interest in it.

Bollocks.

Exactly. I go to watch Aberdeen v Hearts or Dundee Utd or Motherwell etc on the merits of that particular game for my club. Having both the arsecheeks in the same league doesn't increase or decrease my wish to go an see my team play.

Cockwomble will simply be jizzing himself because he'll feel that the age old narrative will slip quickly back into place and he'll have to do even less than the f**k all he currently seems to be doing, to promote our game.

The last four years have been great and laughing at Sevco's occasional f**k ups have only been a small part of that. No one wants to go back to the days of the arsecheeks routinely finishing 20 points clear and handing out 5-0 6-0 dustings like happened in the early -mid 2000's. Except it appears cockwomble and the arsecheeks.

If the league goes down to the last 2 or 3 games this season, why is it any less exciting with Aberdeen and Celtic than Sevco and Celtic. You don't see English football saying this is a crap title race because it's Leicester and Spurs and not City and Chelsea.

"It was only with the support of the commercial partners at the time that the game has been able to emerge in the health that it is now in."

This is an extraordinary thing to say because what he is actually saying is that the people who are supposed to be promoting Scottish football have less faith in the product than the people they are supposed to be pitching to.

Of course at the time Doncaster himself said we had to keep Rangers in SPL (then SFL1) to avoid TV and sponsors quitting.

Having spent a couple of months saying TV rights, naming rights and so on would be almost worthless - he predicted a few million for TV, IIRC - it must've been an interesting conversation.

Perhaps Sky-BT were perfectly happy with their 'juggled' deal - including Rangers matches in SFL, and 'rebate' for covering them.

It was only SPL/SFA officials who predicted sponsors and TV would flee. I don't recall anything - not even the Daily Record's famous "unnamed sources" - from the companies themselves.

These are the same commercial partners that Doncaster couldn't even get to summon up a sponsor for the league for two seasons?

If anything the evidence suggests that Scottish football has got by despite Doncaster and his bookies friends.

Had a look at Celtic and Aberdeen comparing 2015 to 2012. Figures are in millions and bracketed figures are 2012.

Celtic

Revenue 51.08 (51.34)

Operating Expenses 53.27 (54.44)

Cash 11.77 (8.20)

Bank Debt 7.16 (10.59)

Wages 33.27 (33.88)

Attendances 44,585 (50,904)

Aberdeen

Revenue 13.08 (8.34)

Operating Expenses 12.57 (9.40)

Cash 1.39 (0.51)

Bank Debt 0.00 (10.82)

Wages 6.64(5.02)

Attendances 13,359 (9,297)

Celtic in terms of finances have managed to turn a bank deficit into a surplus and are operating around the same level as when Rangers departed.

Aberdeen, football and financially have dramatically improved since Rangers left us. Making almost £5m more a year, got rid of their bank debt, increased attendances by 4k and won a trophy while challenging Celtic.

Didn't have the time on my lunch there to check out any more teams but I cannot imagine there are many teams over these 4 years that have been severely impacted financially. This clown should just resign if he can't admit he got it horribly wrong.

Was his tenure as Chief Executive not put to vote a couple of years back and our clubs voted in support of him? If so, I'm absolutely dumbstruck as to why they voted in his favour. The guys so out of touch with the Scottish game it's unreal. If he spent as much time promoting our game in general as he does creaming over the Ugly Sisters to the press he might not be as incompetent.

Sadly, this is the Cockwomble in the room that is never discussed partly because I don't think the end result is very pleasant for us.

Doncaster was voted into his role a couple of years after 'Armageddon' and no sponsors, by our clubs, the same clubs that had to be forced by fan power to not put the new Rangers into one of the top two leagues. He has continued to alienate himself from the games' fans by his actions, and non-actions, yet he is still there culminating in this latest announcement that is guaranteed to raise the hackles of almost every non-Old Firm fan and alienate him even further. Why?

The only conclusion can be that our clubs are happy with what he is doing and saying. Is part of his remit to be the stooge that delivers the message our clubs want given out and that takes the flack allowing our clubs to hide behind him? Are our clubs happy to be the continual diddies occasionally winning a cup...the beaten wives scared to leave and break the circle?

I really hope I'm wrong but nothing that I've seen over the last few years points to any other conclusion.

Exactly. I go to watch Aberdeen v Hearts or Dundee Utd or Motherwell etc on the merits of that particular game for my club. Having both the arsecheeks in the same league doesn't increase or decrease my wish to go an see my team play.

Cockwomble will simply be jizzing himself because he'll feel that the age old narrative will slip quickly back into place and he'll have to do even less than the f**k all he currently seems to be doing, to promote our game.

The last four years have been great and laughing at Sevco's occasional f**k ups have only been a small part of that. No one wants to go back to the days of the arsecheeks routinely finishing 20 points clear and handing out 5-0 6-0 dustings like happened in the early -mid 2000's. Except it appears cockwomble and the arsecheeks.

If the league goes down to the last 2 or 3 games this season, why is it any less exciting with Aberdeen and Celtic than Sevco and Celtic. You don't see English football saying this is a crap title race because it's Leicester and Spurs and not City and Chelsea.

And once again he, and the media failures who cling on to Sevco and Celtic, fail to realise that to fans of all other teams, those two are pretty much interchangable entities, i.e. one of them will win the league and we don't give a shit who and don't see it as a 'two horse' race but rather a one horse race with them both being the same horse.

Sadly, this is the Cockwomble in the room that is never discussed partly because I don't think the end result is very pleasant for us.

Doncaster was voted into his role a couple of years after 'Armageddon' and no sponsors, by our clubs, the same clubs that had to be forced by fan power to not put the new Rangers into one of the top two leagues. He has continued to alienate himself from the games' fans by his actions, and non-actions, yet he is still there culminating in this latest announcement that is guaranteed to raise the hackles of almost every non-Old Firm fan and alienate him even further. Why?

The only conclusion can be that our clubs are happy with what he is doing and saying. Is part of his remit to be the stooge that delivers the message our clubs want given out and that takes the flack allowing our clubs to hide behind him? Are our clubs happy to be the continual diddies occasionally winning a cup...the beaten wives scared to leave and break the circle?

I really hope I'm wrong but nothing that I've seen over the last few years points to any other conclusion.

Sadly I think this is correct. I emailed my club a couple of years back asking if they would propose a vote to get rid of Doncaster et al, but they said no (claiming that the club were in no position to do so since they were trying to repair their reputation etc).

I think I'll ask them again. In fact we should all urge our clubs to get these tossers out of our game.

Sadly I think this is correct. I emailed my club a couple of years back asking if they would propose a vote to get rid of Doncaster et al, but they said no (claiming that the club were in no position to do so since they were trying to repair their reputation etc).

I think I'll ask them again. In fact we should all urge our clubs to get these tossers out of our game.

Well done. I'm impressed that your club actually replies to emails!

And once again he, and the media failures who cling on to Sevco and Celtic, fail to realise that to fans of all other teams, those two are pretty much interchangable entities, i.e. one of them will win the league and we don't give a shit who and don't see it as a 'two horse' race but rather a one horse race with them both being the same horse.

Aye but us fans of Scottish clubs are nothing compared to the eyes of the world being on Scotland for 4 games of the season!

Im just chuffed that when this new club visits Pittodrie that they wont get the the two away sections that the deed club used to get...........oh hud on, they are gonna boycott all the grounds that voted them down arent they? 

As for Doncaster and his pool table heed.......words cant express how much I detest him

Shite. That means we will 'look forward' to a zombie visit. Thanks again to our own illustrious ghost zombie chairman. 

For all he's a bit of a clown he isnt being disrespectful or wrong by stating that The Rangers being in the top flight and having 3 or 4 games against Celtic will put them in a better bargaining position for negotiating deals with sponsors and TV companies*

All that armageddon bollocks and clubs will die stuff from four years ago though was clearly scaremongering shite and made he and the rest of the games adminastrators look like idiots.

*Although im sure the current deal with SKY and BT Sport has at least a year or two to run and little or no scope to renegotiate

Archived