Cockwomble is at it again

I can totally agree with the comments above. He has done little to nothing towards promoting the game in the last four years, which I have thoroughly enjoyed more than any other time I can remember.

What really sticks in my craw is that he'll be able to piggy-back onto claiming attendances rose under his tenure next season, when it was more so due to a better product for every other team in the league that wasn't Celtic.

It's a horrible saturation if Doncaster continues to pander to the OF up here. You just need to see how boring it is seeing the same 'superclubs' making the quarter finals to see that the Champions League is stale because this was ignored and allowed to be gotten out of hand. How can he not see the dangers of repeating the same mistakes here?

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was his tenure as Chief Executive not put to vote a couple of years back and our clubs voted in support of him? If so, I'm absolutely dumbstruck as to why they voted in his favour. The guys so out of touch with the Scottish game it's unreal. If he spent as much time promoting our game in general as he does creaming over the Ugly Sisters to the press he might not be as incompetent.

Some clubs in the Premiership will only be lucky enough to have to tolerate the blue bigots once at their ground. How did they survive without this monumental cash injection that they would get from no other club, that is in no way reduced by the massively increased stewarding and police costs? It's not like the Dundee teams won't have made loads of cash from each other's supports and that of Aberdeen and Hearts for example. 

If clubs have to rely on away supports then they're not running things correctly and hopefully are found out. I'd love to see clubs limit theirs and Celtic's allocation next season like Motherwell did for the playoff final. It would be glorious and huge get it up you to Doncaster, the media and all the arseholes who continue to drag our game down.

I'm delighted my club won't be in the same league as them or their brethren Celtic next season.

Our average crowd was 4,000 the season Rangers were relegated and it's sitting at around 3,900 so far this season.

If we have another derby we'll probably be higher.  We've also finished 3rd, played in Europe, reached two cup finals and won a cup. 

Who was it that talked about 'civil unrest'?

Our average crowd was 4,000 the season Rangers were relegated and it's sitting at around 3,900 so far this season.

If we have another derby we'll probably be higher.  We've also finished 3rd, played in Europe, reached two cup finals and won a cup. 

Who was it that talked about 'civil unrest'?

No they weren't. Great post otherwise.

There's been no "armageddon", "nuclear winter", "social unrest", "unviability" or "slow lingering death".

It's absurd to suggest otherwise.

With the exception of Motherwell, Kilmarnock and St Mirren - hardly surprising given their downturns in form - everyone else's crowds have stood still or in many cases actually increased:

'11-12  |  '12-13   '13-14   '14-15   '15-16 (to date)

Celtic       50,904  |  46,917   47,079   44,585   44,321

Rangers      46,362  |  45,744   42,657   32,798   44,720

Hearts       13,381  |  13,163   14,123   15,985   16,469

Hibs          9,909  |  10,489   11,027   10,170    9,363

Aberdeen      9,297  |   9,611   12,918   13,359   13,729

Dundee Utd    7,482  |   7,547    7,599    8,113    8,154

Motherwell    5,951  |   5,362    5,175    4,286    4,665

Kilmarnock    5,537  |   4,647    4,250    4,076    3,890

Dunfermline   4,799  |   3,796    3,331    2,523    3,274

St Mirren     4,493  |   4,389    4,511    3,869    3,325

St Johnstone  4,170  |   3,712    3,806    4,592    3,624

Inverness     4,023  |   4,038    3,558    3,733    3,940

Dundee        4,224  |   5,958    4,738    6,966    5,892

Ross County   2,874  |   4,430    3,787    3,525    4,171

Partick       2,345  |   3,614    5,001    3,777    3,925

Hamilton      1,770  |   1,231    1,436    2,877    3,102

in tier 2     in tiers 3 & 4

Other than CL/EL performances flatlining - and Rangers had 1 win in 25 - I can't think of one quantifiable area which hasn't actually improved, tbh. Attendances - up; sponsorship - up; TV money - level, then up; national team - improved; SPL-SFL merger, playoffs and pyramid;

There's been no "armageddon", "nuclear winter", "social unrest", "unviability" or "slow lingering death", and it's absurd to suggest otherwise.

With the exception of Motherwell, Kilmarnock and St Mirren - hardly surprising given their downturns in form - everyone else's crowds have increased.

Other than CL/EL performances flatlining - and Rangers had 1 win in 25 - I can't think of one quantifiable area which hasn't actually improved, tbh.

I can only speak for Kilmarnock and our attendances falling would have occurred with or without Rangers and indeed with our without form.

Most of the dramatic decrease in attendance has come about as a result of people boycotting that bawbag Michael Johnston's tenure, (he appears to be trying his hardest to get fitted for a blazer alongside Cockwomble incidentally). In fact, when he chose to abstain from the Rangers vote in direct opposition to the popular will of the fans who voted, it was one of the first nails in his coffin.

Purely coincidental that it happened to align with a period when the blue bigots were denied entry to the big league.

Some of the doom-mongering that went on back in 2012 was despicable. Was it the Daily Record that gleefully published the forecast list of clubs likely to suffer an insolvency event in Sevco's absence? And how did that work out for them...

Incidentally, although a minor point, this from Doncaster in today's Scotsman disappoints:

"We've got an appetiser in ten days time with the Scottish Cup Semi-Final derby between Celtic and Rangers, but we've got four pretty big main courses to look forward to next year".

Promoted clubs aren't guaranteed 'Top 6', and league officials shouldn't make statements assuming they are.

Some of the doom-mongering that went on back in 2012 was despicable. Was it the Daily Record that gleefully published the forecast list of clubs likely to suffer an insolvency event in Sevco's absence? And how did that work out for them...

Being

Aberdeen

Dundee Utd

Kilmarnock

Motherwell

St Mirren

IIRC?

zmjoyc.jpg

Nothing story anyway. Clubs can't die. Allegedly. I'm surprised no one mentioned this in any of the articles on the subject.

ETA: It seems this was the Chairman of St Mirren peddling this line as a reaction to the SFL not voting Sevco into Division 1. Toys out the pram stuff.

Archived