Ross County vs Partick Thistle 9/4/16

A few weeks ago I thought we might have to win this against a County side who would long since have booked their top 6 place. Not quite how it's worked out, but both teams can still make it.

Fraser and Frans both went off injured yesterday and must therefore be doubts as well as the injured Bannigan.

Probably an excellent 2-2 draw that allows Dundee to crawl in with a draw at Hamilton tbh.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe it was ABBA who, more than 35 years ago, sung the words: "the winner takes it all, the loser has to fall, it's simple and it's plain, but it's also entirely dependent on results elsewhere". 

Fitting, really.

Looking forward to this, whatever happens.  Happy to be scrapping for a top six position after that horrible start to the season.  Sure, were all saying it was early days, but it had all the signs of Gerry Collins about it, with a thin-feeling squad (despite fuctifano sensibly pointing out that we had plenty of players) and some very poor performances.  So, so pleased for Archie and Shaggy who are definitions of footballing legends.  I know that Archie has still to eclipse Bertie Auld's record in the modern era, but he's a top bloke with Thistle in his heart, unlike the wee cigar munching Lisbonista.

If you are in two minds about whether to travel all the way to Dingwall, I hope that this tear-stained drivel will encourage you to pack your provisions and hire a Sherpa for the long trek into the North.

Will Jim ring the changes as a result of the 5-2 drubbing at Dundee? 

I think Thistle's team is quite settled.  My only guesses will be whether Edwards or Fraser plays with Welsh and Osman; if Dumbaya starts instead of Miller; and if Miller or Lindsay will start at CB.  I reckon Doolan over Pogba due to his movement pulling Quinn or Davies out of position.  I will be surprised if County go 3-5-2 rather than their standard 4-4-2.

Those who I think will definitely start:

Garry Woods (Fox is fit again, but might have to wait his turn)

Fraser

Davies

Quinn

Martin Woods

Gardyne

Schalk

Boyce (hasn't scored in donkeys but his link up play is important to the team)

I'm not sure about the rest.

Jim might drop Foster from LB after a howling performance against Dundee, but Foster is one of his more trusted players.  Reckord has been completely out of the picture since the red card against Hamilton (I think it's clear Jim has made his mind up now).  Young McLaughlin is a very good prospect, but he played for the u20s on Tuesday and they have another fixture this Friday - if he doesn't play tomorrow I think he will start for the first team.

McShane hasn't been as good recently, as much as I've been a fan of his style on the ball.  He and Woods together as half-way line playmakers in a 4-4-2 clearly doesn't work.  Murdoch deserves another shot in the team, but judging on Saturday past against his previous games in CM, he seems to be more effective reacting with the game ahead of him, rather than having to deputise for Irvine as an all-action midfielder.  Will Irvine be fit enough to start? Probably not, but I think Jim might gamble on him even if he's not 100%, because the season's over otherwise.

Franks is okay at RW, unspectacular, doesn't win enough games, but County don't have better.  Well, they do in De Vita, but he's out of favour, probably because he doesn't defend as well as Franks does and County give away enough chances as it is.  Dingwall hasn't started in a while but hasn't taken his chances as a sub, so it'll be interesting to see if he plays in the DL tomorrow.  It's unfortunate that he can score a hat-trick in midweek in the DL from his favoured position as a second forward, then come on for the first team as a wing back.

Graham should feel hard done by in not starting more in 2016, given his scoring rate.  I was premature in thinking Goodwillie was going to be a great signing based on his debut, but he's been very disappointing since.  I don't see him featuring here unless Jim throws on two strikers later in the game.

From who we have available i'd like to see us line up 433, or even a 343 with Foster and Midge as wingbacks.

Fox

Fraser Quinn Davies Foster

Gardyne Murdoch M. Woods

Schalk Graham Boyce 

Christ knows how Jim will line up but we need to out score PT and i think this XI would get us a few goals.

From who we have available i'd like to see us line up 433, or even a 343 with Foster and Midge as wingbacks.

Fox

Fraser Quinn Davies Foster

Gardyne Murdoch M. Woods

Schalk Graham Boyce 

Christ knows how Jim will line up but we need to out score PT and i think this XI would get us a few goals.

Good luck with that, against the second-lowest* scoring team in the league. 

*Edited to add that Killie are obviously completely honking if they have scored fewer than us.

Good luck with that, against the lowest scoring team in the league. 

"The lowest scoring team in the league played the joint-worst defence in the league. What happened next will surprise you."

Ross vs Partick surely? :whistle

I'll probably be well oiled by kickoff. I'd love to get a win but County must fancy their chances despite a slipoff in form recently. It would be great to have a generous benefactor like Uncle Ro¥ McGr€gor.

Money, money, money.

Must be funny

in the rich man's world?

Ro$$ 1 Thistle 3 8)

Fox:lol:

He's been really good for us, unlucky with injury but as good a keeper we've had (up there with McGovern imo).

Gary Woods has proved to be a very good replacement when called upon but Fox is clearly No.1, with McIntyre's gung-ho attacking style we'd have let in lots more goals if it weren't for these two.

Fox

Fraser Quinn Davies Foster

Gardyne Murdoch M. Woods

Schalk Graham Boyce

The last time Ross County started with three centre forwards they were cuffed 1-4 by a lower league team.

"The lowest scoring team in the league played the joint-worst defence in the league. What happened next will surprise you."

A Thistle fan will still sign boring, boring County.

The last time Ross County started with three centre forwards they were cuffed 1-4 by a lower league team.

So we could be okay to go with it on Saturday then.

I honestly have no idea who or how McIntyre will field in his starting XI but he will attack, he always does.  Graham and Boyce haven't played to often together (usually Curran or Schalk paired with them) but from the times i've seen them on the pitch together I think there's potential to it as they've both got pretty good link up play.

Graham usually plays more centrally with Boyce either going left or just dropping off "in the hole" where he likes to find more space.  Also I know Schalk has some history that means he doesn't want to play wide but through the middle, but he reacts really well to and with Graham's flicks and knock ons.

McIntyre seems to want to get the first goal in a match as it forces teams open up, and I kinda agree with him.  If we lined up as I suggested 433 or 343, I believe we'll score goals, hopefully more than we let in this time though!

That's our second most embarrassing chant of the season behind the awful 'you don't know what you're doing' towards the referee. Which I think I've heard at every single home game I've been at.

Yuck.

I can't understand sign language, but I'm looking forward to this. Hopefully adds a little interpretive dance into it too.

I can't understand sign language, but I'm looking forward to this. Hopefully adds a little interpretive dance into it too.

Right?

It's good see another fan being so open to new ways of supporting the team.

#northernluvvies

Archived