Edinburgh.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apart from the main touristy area I thought Budapest was stinking. They had done this thing where all unwanted household items were thrown onto the street for collection. Mattresses and burst couches down every alley. The drive from the airport to the centre was like driving through eastern Europe circa 1945.

There are annual refuse collections in each district for large items which are a free service done once a year. The district will get a weeks notification to put out what they want lifted and the council then collect.

It sounds like you were there when this was happening. One week in 52 in each district.

Stockbridge is loverly & the people are so friendly, only last weekend I cycled there & got shitfaced in the wonderful pubs. I left my bike there & when I returned Sunday afternoon to collect it they had painted it a different colour & added lights & a helmet to it, what nice people eh? That said they are pranksters because they changed the combination on my bike lock, luckily for me my mate is a fully paid up kilt wearer of the crime clan & was working in the area that day, he managed to sort out the lock for me.

Grimbo

Has anyone in the EH6 area ever seen a mean looking trampish woman who wears mostly black clothing, leather black cape and large rigger type boots who wanders around the area singing whilst blazing drunk?  She is clearly manic depressive and it really isn't a laughing matter but me and the mrs have seen her from time to time over the years, the first time we saw her she standing just off the main road taking a pish in the middle of a car park, she then went on to raid a nearby bin.  

The people of Glesga have a massive chip on their shoulders about Edinburgh being the capital.

Funny you should say this, because in my experience most people in Glasgow don't seem to spend much time thinking about Edinburgh at all. They rarely offer an opinion on it unless directly asked, i.e. threads like this and so on.

On the other hand, I have experienced many, many occasions where the good people of Edinburgh have seen fit to outline to me in detail the reasons why they (seemingly continually reassure themselves) that their city is "superior" to that of their Western counterparts.

As someone who came from the are between the two cities, in Stirlingshire, and who has since lived in and enjoyed both places, I always found this quite amusing.

You must be joking I'd guess that at least 90% of Glaswegian's I've met here can't stop talking about how they're the salt of the earth, much funnier etc.

Really? I don't doubt that they seem to think they have some sort of patter merchant nonsense going on, but I'd be surprised if they specify it's better than Edinburgh's in particular (unless, as per the above, the specific topic is this tired old inter-city stuff). I think they just believe their chat is amusing full stop, without qualifying that against anyone else specifically...

I could be wrong though.

Edinburgh is a beautiful city, and a great place to live. Bad, bordering on terrible night life though, Glasgow pishes all over it in that respect.

Tends to be what I tell folk when they say they want to visit Scotland and ask which city is better. Edinburgh to see nice things, Glasgow for a drink.

Archived