Edinburgh.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least 3 cities in Italy alone are more beautiful.

Have also heard good things about Budapest.

Although I do like Edinburgh, I'll be honest. It is quite pleasing on the eye in some areas.

Apart from the main touristy area I thought Budapest was stinking. They had done this thing where all unwanted household items were thrown onto the street for collection. Mattresses and burst couches down every alley. The drive from the airport to the centre was like driving through eastern Europe circa 1945.

I agree with the OP's point, I think the Director of the Edinburgh festival should have attracted more people to the festival by telling everyone it's a bit of a shitehole and there are better places to visit.

Considering it was Radio Scotlands lunchtime show I would imagine that 99% of the audience are already quite familiar with Edinburgh and didn't require any advertising hyperbole.

Apart from the main touristy area I thought Budapest was stinking. They had done this thing where all unwanted household items were thrown onto the street for collection. Mattresses and burst couches down every alley. The drive from the airport to the centre was like driving through eastern Europe circa 1945.

I suppose every major city is going to have some utter hell holes within.

I genuinely, up until now though, have only ever heard good things about Budapest and its a place I'd really quite like to visit myself.

I suppose every major city is going to have some utter hell holes within.

I genuinely, up until now though, have only ever heard good things about Budapest and its a place I'd really quite like to visit myself.

Aye of course, a bit like Edinburgh as well.

I would definitely recommend it like, great experience. As I said, the touristy area is magnificent, Hero's square is quite the site. but outwith the bits you are advertised I found it a bit run down. It was like night and day.

#EH6

My opinion of you has now changed.

No need, chap.  I've moved about a lot but our 4 years in Carlton Terrace were special, partly because we had 2 bairns born there.

I certainly enjoyed going to Easter Road much more than I did going to Pittodrie after we moved to Aberdeenshire.

Not entirely sure what you expect someone engaged in a major part of Edinburgh's tourism to say, tbh.

"Aye, it's decent, but it's no Berlin or Paris, eh?"

It clearly isn't the best city in the world from a tourism point of view, but you make out it is when you're trying to market it. All there is to it really.

It is a good city, to be fair.

I reckon it'd the best City in the UK. But would argue not the world.

Pilton is a pimple, if you would compare Marlyn Munroe to Edinburgjh, we would be the beauty spot on her face. Possibly even her arse but I bet her arse was lovely too.

Grimbo

I had no idea you were from leith, you never bring this up.

You're right I haven't brought it up because I'm not from there originally.

Kincardine, Carlton Terrace is actually a decent walk from Leith but your point remains the same.

Archived