Edinburgh.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is he still banging out that 'Bits and Pieces' shite?

I haven't heard it for a long, long time but that was always one of his favourites. Or more precisely, a favourite of Neds of all ages and descriptions phoning in from every arsehole end of the greater Glasgow area looking for a shout out.

Every week ....

without fail

Arches

Edinburgh clubs are all mostly the same chart/pop bullshit, it has next to no dance music scene. Glasgow has about 5 great venues for dance music, thus why we always end up on the 4am bus from Buchanan bus station back to Edinburgh.

It hasn't always been that way there used to be plenty of options.

When I lived in Edinburgh in the mid-90s to early 2000s there was a fair number of decent clubs. The Venue was good, particularly Tribal Funktion, The Honeycomb was decent (when it was opposite the City Cafe), the Vaults have some alright nights, and Wilkie House and La Belle Angele had good nights too. 

Add to those the more disorganised and eclectic nights at Cafe Grafitti and The Bongo Club (the proper Bongo, where the Council buildings now are), and it was a pretty good scene.

I think the struggle for clubs in Edinburgh is partly due to so many pubs having later licenses. 

RE Glasgow - I was never a fan of the Arches (too big for my liking), but I appreciate that people liked it and it fulfilled a great role. The council and police should be ashamed of themselves colluding to close it down. The Admiral is going soon too (the whole block is being redeveloped), so Melting Pot will have to find another home I guess.

But anyway, the Sub Club's still going, and the Berkeley Suites and SWG3 outstrip what's available in terms of quality and variety in pretty much all UK cities outside London. La Cheetah's doing well, and there are many top-notch nights in smaller venues or borderline illegal after-clubs and so on that add to the scene.

I would also reckon when people talk about going out in Glasgow they mean to gigs. Off the top of my head there's Braehead Arena and the Hydro for the big (rubbish) gigs, & The Barrowlands, O2 Academy and the ABC for medium-sized ones. For smaller - mid-range gigs there's CCA, Art School, Nice n' Sleazy. Mono, Box, Stereo, King Tut's, Broadcast, St Luke's, Oran Mor, The Glad, The Flying Duck.. and all the various "occasional" venues.

I myself have said it would be good once it comes down to Leith but even if it were already going down Leith walk as planned then it would still be a case of jumping on whatever came first between that and the 5 or 6 busses that go onto Princess Street for most folk. 

Unless it actually displaces some of the buses that go down Leith Walk, and there's a fair rake of them, it's only going to add to the congestion rather than help relieve it which is surely one of the main points of having the tram in the first place?

Unless it actually displaces some of the buses that go down Leith Walk, and there's a fair rake of them, it's only going to add to the congestion rather than help relieve it which is surely one of the main points of having the tram in the first place?

True - would this help though when the bus gets folk up there in the same time? Not sure about all the busses that go down Leith walk but i'm sure this would inconvenience a good number of passengers if the tram only went to the OT.

When I lived in Edinburgh in the mid-90s to early 2000s there was a fair number of decent clubs. The Venue was good, particularly Tribal Funktion, The Honeycomb was decent (when it was opposite the City Cafe), the Vaults have some alright nights, and Wilkie House and La Belle Angele had good nights too. 

Add to those the more disorganised and eclectic nights at Cafe Grafitti and The Bongo Club (the proper Bongo, where the Council buildings now are), and it was a pretty good scene.

I think the struggle for clubs in Edinburgh is partly due to so many pubs having later licenses. 

RE Glasgow - I was never a fan of the Arches (too big for my liking), but I appreciate that people liked it and it fulfilled a great role. The council and police should be ashamed of themselves colluding to close it down. The Admiral is going soon too (the whole block is being redeveloped), so Melting Pot will have to find another home I guess.

But anyway, the Sub Club's still going, and the Berkeley Suites and SWG3 outstrip what's available in terms of quality and variety in pretty much all UK cities outside London. La Cheetah's doing well, and there are many top-notch nights in smaller venues or borderline illegal after-clubs and so on that add to the scene.

I would also reckon when people talk about going out in Glasgow they mean to gigs. Off the top of my head there's Braehead Arena and the Hydro for the big (rubbish) gigs, & The Barrowlands, O2 Academy and the ABC for medium-sized ones. For smaller - mid-range gigs there's CCA, Art School, Nice n' Sleazy. Mono, Box, Stereo, King Tut's, Broadcast, St Luke's, Oran Mor, The Glad, The Flying Duck.. and all the various "occasional" venues.

Had many great nights in Venue, LaBelle, Bongo (New Street), Graffiti and to a lesser extent Wilkie House at the turn of the millenium/early 2000's.

In terms of buses Leith Walk must be one the best connected roads in the country, there's shitloads of buses and Lotihian Buses is considered one of the best services in the UK.

It is madness - i paid 36 per month for the bus pass and then without so much as an email or a letter the payment was just bumped up to 40. This may not sound like that much but a bit of notice would have been lovely. 

Arches 😭

Edinburgh clubs are all mostly the same chart/pop bullshit, it has next to no dance music scene. Glasgow has about 5 great venues for dance music, thus why we always end up on the 4am bus from Buchanan bus station back to Edinburgh.

Nightvision's into its 4th season and has had tons of top level DJs playing throughout Edinburgh? Not to mention Bongo hosting Blawan and Zomby and Sneaky Petes continuing to do its thing. Glasgow's far and away the strongest scene outside of London and the Warehouse Project but Edinburgh's doing well at the moment.

I have a parking pass so didn't know, but we had visitors the other day and went to pay and display outside ours, the council have recently put it up from £1 to £1.80 an hour. 

Robbing c***s. 

£1.80 an hour in Polwarth is unbelievable.  That's almost at the edge of the paid parking boundary.

Archived