Edinburgh.

What do people actually mean by. Better nightlife because from what I have experienced they are both pretty similar , decent pubs and clubs in both cities , not saying it is the reason here but on the likes of Facebook and Twitter it is usually middle aged blokes making this statement whose ideas of a great night out is that there is a variety of weatherpoons close by to each other , only main nightlife difference I can pin point is the fact we have the hydro and secc

I'd say Glasgow has more variety. While it is not as good as it used to be, there are still a shit ton of good pubs around Charing Cross and Finnieston, as well as a few decent ones in the Merchant City, Sauchiehall St, Bath St, Waterloo St, Byres Road/Ashton Lane, Partick and Shawlands. The nightclubs in both aren't much different, the Arches having shut down being a massive negative in that respect. Sub Club used to be decent but not been in there for 7 or 8 years so no idea if it's still as good as it used to be.

I've just always found Glasgow to be a bit easier for drifting from pub to pub, Edinburgh seemed to take a bit more planning.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say Glasgow has more variety. While it is not as good as it used to be, there are still a shit ton of good pubs around Charing Cross and Finnieston, as well as a few decent ones in the Merchant City, Sauchiehall St, Bath St, Waterloo St, Byres Road/Ashton Lane, Partick and Shawlands. The nightclubs in both aren't much different, the Arches having shut down being a massive negative in that respect. Sub Club used to be decent but not been in there for 7 or 8 years so no idea if it's still as good as it used to be.

I've just always found Glasgow to be a bit easier for drifting from pub to pub, Edinburgh seemed to take a bit more planning.

Sub club is still there and decent enough

If all else fails just get the gbx blaring on Clyde wan on a Saturday night

Is he still banging out that 'Bits and Pieces' shite?

I haven't heard it for a long, long time but that was always one of his favourites. Or more precisely, a favourite of Neds of all ages and descriptions phoning in from every arsehole end of the greater Glasgow area looking for a shout out.

The tram is pointless. A total vanity project for Edinburgh. I've gotten on them a couple of times since moving here. No quicker than the buses and they don't have air conditioning so they get sweltering hot on warmer days.

Used the tram once when coming home via Edinburgh Airport. The Glasgow bus left as I was walking to the stance and there was a tram waiting, so I decided to use it for the novelty value. Took an absolute age to get to Haymarket. That's about all I can remember.

The trams look decent and are a smooth ride that serve maybe 1/4 of the city. One time me and the mrs went to the gyle and back to York place and then got the bus back home as it doesn't go down leith walk, a billion pound well spent IMO.

It does takes longer than the bus and comes in south a bit via Balgreen and Stenhouse, beautiful route.  The express bus goes route one through Corstorphine and only makes a few stops on the way from Waverley/West End.

Wife uses the tram if she needs to get from her work at Edinburgh Park to the city centre, especially if the trip is work related.

I've never been on it, I doubt I will as I've no reason to do so, a bit like 90% of folk living here....

I myself have said it would be good once it comes down to Leith but even if it were already going down Leith walk as planned then it would still be a case of jumping on whatever came first between that and the 5 or 6 busses that go onto Princess Street for most folk. 

Archived