Mutley vs Ronny 09/04/16

Not wanting a European place? Fucking hell, what the f**k is the point of football if you don't want your Club achieving something? Especially a Club like ours who are still 'celebrating' a Cup win from 25 years ago

I get that the Club and McCalls attitude to our last adventure possibly put a bit of a dampener on the whole thing, but I think McGhee would be a wee bit more professional in his attitude.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you think playing a couple of qualifying rounds in July in achieving something, you're more easily pleased than I am.

European Football has changed, even in the 7 or 8 years since we got back into it. It's not made for wee teams like us.

Aye, it'll be a nice couple of summer nights at Fir Park, watching us play a couple of teams, if we're lucky, that we've never seen before. Other than that, what's the achievement? It doesn't do it for me. Considering we'll go in at QR1, we're not getting to the groups, are we?

Understand if people disagree, but that's my opinion.

Has MJC got a hold of Desps login?

Of course it's 'achieving something', it might have diminished somewhat given the potential opponents and the timing of matches, but there aren't many teams from Scotland who will be playing European Football next season (in fact there aren't that many who have ever participated in Europe), so if we are 1 of the 4, then of course it's an achievement.

Some of our fans are unbelievable.

I'm not exactly Mr Happy Clappy but who the hell complains about finishing top 6 or getting a European spot?

I actually feel sorry for those fans of ours that can't even enjoy the limited success we have.  Supporting the team must be like some kind of perpetual Malpas season for them.

I'm not complaining about a potential European spot. If we get it, excellent. I hope we finish as high as we can, as always.

My feelings regarding European football in general means I won't be disappointed if someone other than Celtic win the Cup.

If I were to ask every Motherwell fan if they'd rather win next seasons League Cup or get to the first couple of Qualifying Rounds of the Europa League, I'm sure id know what the majority would say.

How often do we see smaller un-fancied clubs achieve something in Europe. Why shouldn't Motherwell & other smaller Scottish clubs try & achieve this?

I seriously wish all Scottish clubs well in Europe. Would love to see them all reach the group stages.

How often do we see smaller un-fancied clubs achieve something in Europe. Why shouldn't Motherwell & other smaller Scottish clubs try & achieve this?

I seriously wish all Scottish clubs well in Europe. Would love to see them all reach the group stages.

This.

I also want all Scottish clubs bar one obvious exception to do well in Europe.

Fact is though the amount of clubs now going into the 2 tournaments and the money swilling around has changed European club competitions beyond recognition and you really have to make the group phases of either tournament for it to be economicaly viable, as mentioned though when you have to play four or five knockout ties and teams from Azerberjan and Khazakhstan have 20 times your budget it makes it doubly difficult even for Celtic

The whole no money thing or smaller budgets doesn't wash either.

Yes I accept that it generally does work out that way but not always. I will argue when we play a club who beats us with a superior budget that they should be beating us, but Celtic have beaten some massive clubs in Europe, whose budgets dwarves ours...Juventus, Barca, Liverpool, Man U, AC Milan to name but a few. Equally, we have gone into games with a vastly superior budget to our opposition and been knocked out...Malmo, Maribor, Molde (Hmmm maybe we have a phobia of teams beginning with M)

Look just across the border at Leicester City for what can be achieved. Yes, I'd always urge as many fans to get behind their team as possible to give them the finances, but every now and again we must be getting into a good place even with the meagre resources we have.

I actually found the last few Euro games predictable and boring.

However, as was pointed out before, that may have been due to McCall's attempts at it and lack of professionalism. It certainly scunnered me watching the same thing repeating itself.

Interesting comments to read. Apart from the "you must hate it when Mothewell do well" chat - tedious shite. If you have a differing opinion, fire it up and we'll have a discussion. Ram the "holier than thou" chat up yer arse though.

If we do finish 4th, and get a route into Europe via the Scottish Cup winners, then I sincerely hope a Motherwell side managed by McGhee can go on a wee run, and gets that excitement back for me in European games. I've certainly lost that.

The whole no money thing or smaller budgets doesn't wash either.

The money arguments are more to do with drawing a team like Krasnodar. If you are getting papped out in a qualifier by an oligarch funded team you want to make some money out of it.

That's where the qualifiers should be regionalised. It's not a glamour tie if it costs more to play it than you make from it.

That's where the qualifiers should be regionalised. It's not a glamour tie if it costs more to play it than you make from it.

Thats actually a very decent shout, you could split Europe into four sections, bracketing us in with with Scandanavia and the lowland countries of Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg and maybe France too, the Medditaranean countries along with the Balkans, Turkey, Israel etc. Central europe for the likes of Germany, Poland, Czechs, Austria, Switzerland, Poland et al and all the far eastern Russian states in a section.

Unlikely to work out though if it doesnt make UEFA millions and one of the big countries objects

Rangers to win the Scottish Cup according to one of your 'supporters'

To be fair to one of our "supporters" Celtic do have a recent habit of screwing up semi-finals of cup competitions.

Celtic have won the league and so the 4th placed team be it Well, Saints or Staggies will want a Celtic cup win. Otherwise I would not give a SH1T.

This "I don't want to qualify for europe" chat is fucking ROASTING. 

I'd rather play a european tie where there's something to play for than playing the usual nonsense friendlies against lower league teams.

It won't be friendlies it will be the new improved revamped reimagined not really regional league cup.

In season 2016/17, Motherwell could win the league and someone on here would moan that it means we would get put out by an Eastern European team with no vowels in the qualifying rounds of the Champions League.

Nah, I would rather finish 7th each year. Much more fun.

Archived