I am However intrigued as to how you came up with your conclusion. I'd be rather disappointed if it were just an attempt to foment discord!

Discord?  me?  I'm the most ameliorative poster on the board.

As for Scotland hating itself to death?  A new club moves up a division and the braying mob are out with flaming torches and four candles.

If you want to see what Scotland's shame is then just read the posts about us since we had the audacity to win a game of football.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doncaster continues to blether on about the fantastic deals he has secured for Scottish football, Sky, BT and BBC Alba pay a reported £15m combined for the rights to show our games. Compare that with the £36m per year that Sky pay for a regional sport like Rugby League.

He also conveniently forgets that the SPFL didn't have a sponsor for its first 2 years after formation.

Any other CEO would have been punted.

Discord?  me?  I'm the most ameliorative poster on the board.

As for Scotland hating itself to death?  A new club moves up a division and the braying mob are out with flaming torches and four candles.

If you want to see what Scotland's shame is then just read the posts about us since we had the audacity to win a game of football.

'Scotland hating itself to death'

That is how I would describe the rhetoric that has been fed to us from 2012 to the present day that Scottish football is nothing without the Old firm rivalry, that the rest of the teams don't matter.

Despite all the positive things that have happened for many clubs in Scotland during that period.

Now while I agree with you that there is a deep set bitterness throughout Scotland on all sides that leads to over dramatic reactions to the likes of Rangers and Celtic, Scottish football would have been better served by the individuals in charge promoting the game instead of actively stating how terrible it is at the loss of one club.

"All those souls who thought that it was a great idea that Rangers got demoted surely they must accept they were wrong now"

Mr Graeme Souness, ladies and gentleman. No doubt after a boozy lunch with the cockwomble.

Doncaster continues to blether on about the fantastic deals he has secured for Scottish football, Sky, BT and BBC Alba pay a reported £15m combined for the rights to show our games. Compare that with the £36m per year that Sky pay for a regional sport like Rugby League.

He also conveniently forgets that the SPFL didn't have a sponsor for its first 2 years after formation.

Any other CEO would have been punted.

Absolutely correct − Doncaster has been trying to get folk to invest in a product that he himself has relentlessly talked down.

Personally I think he should have gone purely for starting the season late for the benefit of two clubs rather than start it early for the benefit of the majority.

Now while I agree with you that there is a deep set bitterness throughout Scotland on all sides that leads to over dramatic reactions to the likes of Rangers and Celtic, Scottish football would have been better served by the individuals in charge promoting the game instead of actively stating how terrible it is at the loss of one club.

It wasn't the lack of "the individuals in charge promoting the game instead of actively stating how terrible it is at the loss of one club.".  The worst thing from this whole debacle was The SPL chairmen bullying and threatening The SFL in to disbanding just so they could be part of the same league structure as Rangers.

The irony (and I know what the word means) is to see your braying fans type the whole 'yer deid' patter.  I am not bitter about what happened to us.  It was down to our own hubris and, in fact, being admitted to SFL 3 was a lifeline we maybe didn't deserve.  So no salty tears here.

What I am irked about is fans of clubs of the likes of yours failing to acknowledge your calumny is dissolving a league that existed since 1890 just so you could cosy up to us.

It wasn't the lack of "the individuals in charge promoting the game instead of actively stating how terrible it is at the loss of one club.".  The worst thing from this whole debacle was The SPL chairmen bullying and threatening The SFL in to disbanding just so they could be part of the same league structure as Rangers.

The irony (and I know what the word means) is to see your braying fans type the whole 'yer deid' patter.  I am not bitter about what happened to us.  It was down to our own hubris and, in fact, being admitted to SFL 3 was a lifeline we maybe didn't deserve.  So no salty tears here.

What I am irked about is fans of clubs of the likes of yours failing to acknowledge your calumny is dissolving a league that existed since 1890 just so you could cosy up to us.

You know I think you've got a point of sorts here, but did you shed similar tears for the SFL when it was ditched by top flight clubs in 1998?

Sorry, but I don't believe for a moment that you're genuinely troubled by the loss of that organisation.

Not sure I've really been part of the 'yer deid' brigade on here, whilst I have my views on what happened I think the whole old club/new club debate is a red herring and in essence doesn't really matter a jot.

Your attitude to what happened to you is admirable, and correct.  And if you were to ask me my opinion on my own clubs attitude towards yourselves and your presence in the league, it would be that I find it disappointing and short sighted.  However I understand that chairmen/businessmen do not see the game the way supporters do.

Maybe it is naive but I do feel that the success of a league should be judged on more than the tv revenues, the average attendances etc.  Of course if that is the yardstick for how we measure the enjoyment we get out of our game then by all means, welcome back to the blue pound.

However for most diddies anyway it is about more than that and if it was about that then I wouldn't watch a fucking old firm match, I'd f**k off to watch games in Germany, Spain even England.  I can't understand why old firm fans can't wrap their head round that.

Sorry, but I don't believe for a moment that you're genuinely troubled by the loss of that organisation.

Losing Scotland's league?  I'd certainly prefer, as you suggested, that it had been a reverse takeover.  I'm also underwhelmed that the transaction was completed with such little fuss and lack of comment on here. 

Maybe it is naive but I do feel that the success of a league should be judged on more than the tv revenues, the average attendances etc.  Of course if that is the yardstick for how we measure the enjoyment we get out of our game then by all means, welcome back to the blue pound.

The point I was trying to make is that 'the blue pound' needn't be welcomed back as clubs like yours deliberately dissolved the scottish football league in order to gain a share of it.  The Blue Pound never went away but something precious was killed by 'your' chairmen tp pursue it.

However for most diddies anyway it is about more than that and if it was about that then I wouldn't watch a fucking old firm match, I'd f**k off to watch games in Germany, Spain even England.  I can't understand why old firm fans can't wrap their head round that.

I'm hardly the vox populi of OF fans and I accept the 'more than that' argument.  Your club/company/team allowed the Scottish Football League to die so you could snuggle up to Rangers, though.  Aren't you ashamed?  Why did you allow this to happen?

The point I was trying to make is that 'the blue pound' needn't be welcomed back as clubs like yours deliberately dissolved the scottish football league in order to gain a share of it.  The Blue Pound never went away but something precious was killed by 'your' chairmen tp pursue it.

I'm hardly the vox populi of OF fans and I accept the 'more than that' argument.  Your club/company/team allowed the Scottish Football League to die so you could snuggle up to Rangers, though.  Aren't you ashamed?  Why did you allow this to happen?

Honestly? Yes, a bit.  Not sure on the whole league being dissolved part, while I don't doubt there was motives behind it which you allude to I think ultimately the separation of the "SPL" initially was actually the moment the game was a bogie.  That was the real snuggling up to the blue/green&grey pound and that is what I am ashamed of.  Just so happens at the formation of the SPL I was in my teens and didn't fully understand the implications.

What is your suggestion for what I could have done to stop it?  You know fine well that without the voice of the "P's and D's" Rangers would have been let straight back into the SPL without question and then again into Division 1.  The re-entry into division 3 was seen as a win for fans around the country and a lot was done to that end.

However you are right it didn't go far enough and too many people did get caught up in the 'yer deid' debate to prevent the underhanded merger of the leagues.

You know fine well that without the voice of the "P's and D's" Rangers would have been let straight back into the SPL without question.

Why do people persist with this lie?

Rangers were never going to be allowed in the SPL with no questions/ a shrug of the shoulders and let's just forget about it.

Why do people persist with this lie?

Rangers were never going to be allowed in the SPL with no questions/ a shrug of the shoulders and let's just forget about it.

There may have been points deductions etc attached but the chairmen wanted you in, without question.

There may have been points deductions etc attached but the chairmen wanted you in, without question.

That is not without question. That is with sanctions.

What is your suggestion for what I could have done to stop it?  You know fine well that without the voice of the "P's and D's" Rangers would have been let straight back into the SPL without question and then again into Division 1.  The re-entry into division 3 was seen as a win for fans around the country and a lot was done to that end.

Losing our SPL share?  Absolutely right.  Being 'blocked' from admission to SFL 1?  Absolutely right.  We thoroughly deserved to eat humble pie.

I also think that having a single league set-up is a good thing but that fans should see it as an unintended consequence.  This wasn't done through vision or to improve Scotland's game but for the worst sort of pragmatism.

I do wonder what would have happened if Longmuir hadn't blinked first.  Still, at least we know that the odious Cockwomble owes his half bar to the fans of The (then) SPL.  And my god doesn't the creature resemble his creators?

That is not without question. That is with sanctions.

Stop being pedantic, my point is not that there would be no strings attached, merely that the clubs desire was to engineer a scenario that included Rangers in the top flight.  I don't really care whether there was sanctions or not, it would have been wrong either way.

Losing our SPL share?  Absolutely right.  Being 'blocked' from admission to SFL 1?  Absolutely right.  We thoroughly deserved to eat humble pie.

I also think that having a single league set-up is a good thing but that fans should see it as an unintended consequence.  This wasn't done through vision or to improve Scotland's game but for the worst sort of pragmatism.

I do wonder what would have happened if Longmuir hadn't blinked first.  Still, at least we know that the odious Cockwomble owes his half bar to the fans of The (then) SPL.  And my god doesn't the creature resemble his creators?

I honestly don't disagree with you.  It is why I believe whether it is in the next couple of years, 5 years/10 years down the line we'll be right back where started pre 2012, back to the same old duopoly.  But at least there'll be that extra TV cash I suppose  :(

Stop being pedantic, my point is not that there would be no strings attached, merely that the clubs desire was to engineer a scenario that included Rangers in the top flight.  I don't really care whether there was sanctions or not, it would have been wrong either way.

Of course they wanted Rangers in the top league, just remember to add that they wanted top league P!us sanctions.

Archived