The return of the back 3

If I'm correct that's our 2002-2003 team then our 2003-2004 team?  

Two absolutely erection inducing teams there.  And not just because of Liam Keogh and Richie Hart.

They teams got 2 of our managers the sack, both with 4-0 pumpings at Love St! 

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Davie Irons' decision to switch to a 3-5-2, packed with six foot plus hammer throwers with Brian Wake to smash home the goals was a glorious innovation that kept us in Division One in 2008, then led to a faint title challenge the following season. I'm not a fan of wide play at all - we after all have signed Paul did Giacomo and about 100 other useless sand-dancers - so I'd like to see it return. Having the advantage in the centre of the park tends to win the game IMO - which is definitely outside the top flight.

Duffy is a tactical dinosaur wedded to a Mike Bassett-esque 4-4-2 though so it won't happen until he's sacked.

Celtic under O'neil used it pretty successfully.

Celtic under O'Neill had three absolute giants and internationals in the back three, protected by Lennon and Lambert, with proper speedsters playing wingback, and before 1 up became standard. Pretty sure O'Neill said something along the lines of other standard formations of the time not suiting his players.

What is going on with this. I saw Motherwell attempt it for 135 minutes and it was awful.

Dundee United have been playing it since Mixu took over, Dundee, Ross County, Hamilton and Motherwell have dabbled with it. Aberdeen have used a back 3 for spells. Hearts rolled it out at Parkhead.

Is this desperation from managers because I haven't seen any team have success with a back 3. Often it leads to defenders being exposed and confusion which is costing goals.

What is everybody's opinion on their team playing 3 at the back?

Kilmarnock have tried this many times during my time watching them (when I say many times I mean maybe once per year) and it has always (ALWAYS) been a disaster.  Even back in the day when we had solid and/or good footballing defenders.

If I'm correct that's our 2002-2003 team then our 2003-2004 team?  

Two absolutely erection inducing teams there.  And not just because of Liam Keogh and Richie Hart.

Yep.  Probably my favourite ICT teams of all time.  In fact, no probably about it.

They teams got 2 of our managers the sack, both with 4-0 pumpings at Love St! 

Around that time we won eight straight games against St Mirren, scoring 28 goals with 6 conceded.

There's a Tell Him He's Pelé podcast with Bobby Mann, talking about that time.

http://www.tellhimhespele.com/episode-ten-bobby-mann/

Will check that out later.

Archived