Hampden Park has it had its Day ?

That was my point. Despite it apparently being a bit of a dump nowadays they still take finals there rather than rotating them around the club stadiums.

Sorry , you called it the Olympic Stadium.  Not sure why Portugal do that as no club team play there (to the best to my knowledge), you couldn't leave Hampden to effectively decay, beyond repair and maintenance, for two or three games a season.

Hampden is a fucking terrible park to watch fitbaw in unless your in a lucky few areas, it takes ages to get away from at full time and is just generally shite.

We DO NOT need a national stadium.    Parkhead and ibrox for big games , easter road and pittoddrie for smaller games.

Last years cops del rey final was at the camp nou, Barcelona were in the final, the Madrid derby CDR final was at the bernabaue.  Germany do not have a national stadium either, total waste of money, if we are going to be sensible about it the sfa should be looking at a compensation package for queens park plus the building of a ground in that area that suits their needs. They will also be entitled to some or all of the sale proceeds depending on how the ownership is tied up legally.

Scotland games can be decided on game by game basis.

The league and Scottish cup finals can have be split between ibrox and parkhead  then alternated each season. semi finals can be decided once the draw is made .

Not rocket science

As a matter of interest, why would we play any games at Ibrox?  Would it be just to keep Rangers happy? If you want to apply logic, then you use the biggest park.

People are commenting on getting to and from Hampden.  Back in the day, Kings Park railway station was used for football specials from all over Scotland.  Seems that this worked.

Seriously, what are the experiences of people travelling to and from Ibrox and Parkhead when they're full?  I would reckon that 50 - 60k people leaving any venue at the one time is going to be a problem.  Interested in other people's view.  Certainly, getting away from ibrox in a bus a couple of years ago when QP played there was a nightmare.

As a matter of interest, why would we play any games at Ibrox? Would it be just to keep Rangers happy? If you want to apply logic, then you use the biggest park.

People are commenting on getting to and from Hampden. Back in the day, Kings Park railway station was used for football specials from all over Scotland. Seems that this worked.

Seriously, what are the experiences of people travelling to and from Ibrox and Parkhead when they're full? I would reckon that 50 - 60k people leaving any venue at the one time is going to be a problem. Interested in other people's view. Certainly, getting away from ibrox in a bus a couple of years ago when QP played there was a nightmare.

Don't think it's any different at either CP or Ibrox either tbh. Just a stick people use to hit Hampden with. Scotland's transport system in general seems to be terrible in comparison to other countries I've been to so not really fair making those comparisons. The transport in Germany was just on a whole different level.

Hampden is already as good as a home game in terms of fan allocation when the old firm play anyone other than each other. Hearts hibs and aberdeen.

I dont think your being very grown up about it. Everyone can agree theyr both better stadiums. Hampden is shite. You sure your not just going straight to " f**k the old firm" ?

Fan allocation is absolutely nothing to do with the ground and everything to do with the SFA / SPFL.  The split of tickets isn't going to magically change if games are played at Ibrox or Parkhead.  How did it go with the semi in Edinburgh this year?  One team was very unhappy and Hampden was nowhere to be seen.

As for I & P both being better than Hampden, I'd argue that Ibrox isn't.  Same size as Hampden and some of the seats are a disgrace, Quite a number of fans in the main stand at Ibrox can't see a fairly significant bit of the pitch.

PS f**k the Old Firm.

I've been to Hampden three times this season and twice last week, all three games I've found shit. I'd like us to play our home games at murrayfield and then possibly redevelop hampden

You don't think it's anything to do with the football quality do you? Seemed like the National Stadium was quite lively for today's match. Anyone who attended Euro 2008 qualifiers, when we were winning, will testify how rowdy and intimidating Hampden is. Unfortunately we've been fairly shite ever since. The game against Georgia in 2014 at Ibrox was equally dull.

Bid for Euro 2028 with the Republic of Ireland,

In Scotland have 

1. Redeveloped Hampden circa. 68,000 for the tournament and 60,000 post-Euros

2. Murrayfield 67,500

3. Celtic Park or Ibrox 60,000/51,000

4. Aberdeen ArenA expanded to 30,000

5. Discovery Stadium in Dundee 30,000 for the Euros then 17,000 post-Euros

In Ireland:

1. Croke Park  circa. 68,000 when the terracing is closed  

2 .Aviva Stadium 51,700

3. New Cork GAA Stadium 45,000  (already being built)

4. Semple Stadium 40,000 (removal of terracing with seats)

5. Thomond Park 30,000 (redeveloped)

6. RDS Arena exapnded to 30,000 - if needed

EDIT: There's a 50,000 capacity ground in Thurles.

Splendid research. Here's a few more figures for the debate.

Seven of the twelve stadia used in the 2014 WCF had capacities less than Hampden.

Hampden seats 52k. Scotland's population is c5.4M. For most tournament games Hampden is near to a sell-out. Even midweek games against smaller countries than ours attract gates of c45k. If you pro-rata that, England should have a national stadium with about a half-million capacity; Germany about 800k; Italy 700k etc. We already punch well above our weight with fan loyalty and I for one doubt we could squeeze much more out of it. When Hampden sells out for every home fixture in any tourney then it's time to ask for more. And if it did need expanded I'd convert the North stand into one of those clever standing/sitting set ups. Nobody sits in that stand anyway.

Access/egress. This is a great one. I can only assume anyone commenting on this supports a team who has such low numbers their stadium is empty five minutes after the whistle. I've been to full houses at Ibrox and Celtic Park. And Wembley, old and new. And the SECC. And the O2 in London. And the NEC in Birmingham. St James, Old Trafford, Etihad. Never got away from any of them in less than 30 minutes.

Sharing Scotland games between Ibrox and Celtic Park. FFS! Seriously? Murrayfield. Never going to happen. Just won't. Ever. Rugby chaps won't let it.

Comparison with other British Isles nations. If Hampden doesn't look as sexy as some others here's a few points I like to reflect on. The building of Wembley put the construction company, Multiplex, out of business in this country. The Millennium stadium put JohnLaing Construction out of business. No such horrors at Hampden. Windsor Park is still in it's final phase after several years of reconstruction. Hampden was rebuilt long before any of the others. Innovative and forward-thinking at the time it still looks good and nearly two decades on is still in good nick.

SFA has long had a policy of taking the national team around the country, especially for U21 and Ladies etc, and so it should. But for the big games in the big tournaments Hampden is the spiritual home. Emotionally or practically, it's still the best option.

Tbf, regardless of the builder's fate the Millennium Stadium reconstruction was extraordinary in value terms... 76k with retractable roof for £121m?

Hampden's revamp cost £74m.

Wembley cost £757m.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Murrayfield. Never going to happen. Just won't. Ever. Rugby chaps won't let it.

Do you have any evidence to support this claim?

In the past, any time it has been discussed in the media, etc, the dissenting voices are from football's side demanding that "fitbaw's munny is kept in wur game".

Tbf, regardless of the builder's fate the Millennium Stadium reconstruction was extraordinary in value terms... 76k with retractable roof for £121m?

Hampden's revamp cost £74m.

Wembley cost £757m.

hampden £74m....was it not nearer £55m?

Fucking hell Quentin, you kept your sensible side quiet. Absolutely agree with every point here, yesterday's match was an absolute spectacle, and would have been less so played anywhere else. It's the lack of occasions killing Hampden, and the wider game, than the venue itself. As for a joint bid with Southern Ireland, absolutely fucking not. I wouldn't give them the steam off my pish, seeing as they spent twelve years raiding SPL clubs youth squads for eligible future plastic Paddy s,. Frankly I would support Hampden and one other Glasgow Park as part of a English / UK based World Cup bid, not that theyd ever need them.

im sure hampdens great for all sorts of things, except one, WATCHING FITBAW your fuckin miles away fom the park. behind the goals you cant see whats happening up the other end. mind you aw these tartan army day tripping steamboats probably dont care

Murrayfield. Never going to happen. Just won't. Ever. Rugby chaps won't let it.

I think you'll find that the SRU are more than amenable to letting those fitba ruffians use it.

Hearts and Celtic have used it for European matches & Barcelona have used if for friendlies against Hearts and Hibs. Heavens above they have also let those 13-a-side League chappies use it, and those Yankee peanut throwers.

The only people who would try to kybosh it are the fitba ruffians themselves.

im sure hampdens great for all sorts of things, except one, WATCHING FITBAW your fuckin miles away fom the park. behind the goals you cant see whats happening up the other end. mind you aw these tartan army day tripping steamboats probably dont care

Hmmm........I guess all fans are day trippers to Hampden, and many are steamboats whether it be Scotland, semi-finals, finals, or Take That........

The Commonwealth Games showed that, as a football stadium, Hampden's a great place for international athletics events.  Now if only we had a need for such regularly.

I used to be way opposed to ideas about getting rid of Hampden (mainly due to big game atmospheres being superb and the fact that it's unique to Scotland) but the last campaign has changed me on that. Getting to Glasgow for a midweek match can be absolutely ridiculous in travel time and it requires so much energy. Public transport doesn't help this either.

When you get to this stadium out of breath (sprinting a mile) after travelling for 3 and a half hours from Dundee and get in, you then can't see what is going on and the atmosphere is pish for most games.

I'm in favour of the M9 suggestion now. I'm sure that with some effort, there could be land found around Bannockburn. Evicting St Johnstone and rebuilding McDiarmid would do too.

The views from behind the goals at Hampden are terrible. Tool my kids to the Scottish cup final last year and my kids couldn't even tell who the players were. ..simply not good enough. It should be near Stirling as it has great motorway and rail links and is fairer and more central for everyone . Less than an hour from Glasgow Edinburgh Perth and Dundee and closer for Aberdeen and Inverness

Hampden is a terrible statium and was a vanity project by Scottish football.

We should have followed the example set by the Welsh. A single national stadium, capable of being used by the 2 main sports in the country. We don't need to have 2 large stadiums that have limited use. Club rugby can't fill Murrayfield and only the biggest games will fill Hampden.

But Scottish football and Scottish rugby couldn't be seen to be working together. Both just had to have their own white elephant stadiums.

Hampden is a terrible statium and was a vanity project by Scottish football.

We should have followed the example set by the Welsh. A single national stadium, capable of being used by the 2 main sports in the country. We don't need to have 2 large stadiums that have limited use. Club rugby can't fill Murrayfield and only the biggest games will fill Hampden.

But Scottish football and Scottish rugby couldn't be seen to be working together. Both just had to have their own white elephant stadiums.

The Welsh FA Don't play at the millenium anymore

The Irish and French have one stadium for fitbaw and rugby, its a bit late for us now tho,  back in the 90s both grounds needed major work done but the sru and SFA working together must have made too much sense to go ahead. theres been fitbaw played at MF a few times so I'm guessing its not the rugby folk standing in the way off it

The views from behind the goals at Hampden are terrible. Tool my kids to the Scottish cup final last year and my kids couldn't even tell who the players were. ..simply not good enough. It should be near Stirling as it has great motorway and rail links and is fairer and more central for everyone . Less than an hour from Glasgow Edinburgh Perth and Dundee and closer for Aberdeen and Inverness

And dead near to Bridge of Allan.

Clearly, your main concern is the greater good.