Hampden Park has it had its Day ?

In short, Hampden is shite, "someone" will come up with £800 million for a new ground, somewhere near Stirling, with its Trumpton railway station. Surely "someone" out there can follow this up?
I wonder how many experts on here have actually been to major grounds outside Scotland. People abroad just accept that they won't be back in their equivalent of Inverwalloper 20 minutes after the game.
Try to get anywhere from Murrayfield or even Ibrox or Parkhead after a full house.  70,000 head to Haymarket Station at 10pm after a midweek game. 65,00 are still there the next morning.

I live next to Haymarket and that’s bollocks

On 04/04/2016 at 11:51, rhliston said:

Was listening to the Off the Ball radio programme on BBC Scotland on Saturday regarding whether we should be using Hampden Park for internationals etc due to numerous problems with the ground, such as poor atmosphere, too far away from the pitch, location difficulty in getting to Stadium

Majority of those who responded were in favour of not using Hampden for internationals.

Has Hampden Park had its day and should we be thinking of moving internationals away from Hampden and move them around the country like a number of major countries do like Germany, Italy. Spain.

We have 2 major grounds in Scotland for football capable of holding between 50 to 60,000 fans, not to mention Murrayfield in Edinburgh which I think holds roundabout 67,000.

What are football fans views on the subject.

Hampden is the home of international football the Edinburgh or burgers or what ever get the rugby us Glaswegians host the fitbaw,that has been the deal since it began 

Why change it now when we actually have finally just bought it off Queens Park fairly recently?

And we are actually starting to do well we are getting attendances yet again,why would we want to play to half the support at Pittodrie or Tannadice 

It doesn't make any sence what so ever,don't fix something that isn't broken 

5 hours ago, General dissaray said:

Hampden is the home of international football the Edinburgh or burgers or what ever get the rugby us Glaswegians host the fitbaw,that has been the deal since it began 

Why change it now when we actually have finally just bought it off Queens Park fairly recently?

And we are actually starting to do well we are getting attendances yet again,why would we want to play to half the support at Pittodrie or Tannadice 

It doesn't make any sence what so ever,don't fix something that isn't broken 

I don't think anyone's saying, move it from Glasgow per se, i just think folk are saying that Hampden isn't a great stadium in it's current setup. 

I believe the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff cost less to build as a new stadium than Hampden's rennovation in the 90s/2000s. I could be wrong on that part though. 

Hampden as a place, irrespective of setup will always hold special memories for me personally, seeing Celtic in various cup finals over the years and i was lucky enough to go to the UEFA Cup Final in 2007 between Sevilla and Espanyol which was an incredible game of football. 

12 hours ago, CraigFairlie said:

I believe the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff cost less to build as a new stadium than Hampden's rennovation in the 90s/2000s. I could be wrong on that part though. 

I've seen other people say that but it's definitely not right. The Millennium Stadium cost £120m, roughly double what the final phase of Hampden's redevelopment came to. Most of that £59m went on rebuilding the South Stand and facilities which are excellent. 

Still a load less than had to be spent on Wembley shortly afterwards though.

I've seen other people say that but it's definitely not right. The Millennium Stadium cost £120m, roughly double what the final phase of Hampden's redevelopment came to. Most of that £59m went on rebuilding the South Stand and facilities which are excellent. 

Even at double the money that’s still considerably better value

But it’s a false comparison. The millenium stadium is a rugby stadium that generates useful additional income from hosting football and concerts

The WRU will be charging a top price of £115 for Wales vs Scotland. There are a few seats in the gods for £40 but nonetheless the WRU are liable to generate as much match day revenue from one home game as the Scottish Football Team do in a normal year.

With the nations league providing more “competitive” fixtures in both senses of the word things may improve but ultimately hampden is cheap because Scottish international football is cheap

On 22/12/2021 at 15:22, Hampden Diehard said:

In short, Hampden is shite, "someone" will come up with £800 million for a new ground, somewhere near Stirling, with its Trumpton railway station. Surely "someone" out there can follow this up?

I wonder how many experts on here have actually been to major grounds outside Scotland. People abroad just accept that they won't be back in their equivalent of Inverwalloper 20 minutes after the game.

Try to get anywhere from Murrayfield or even Ibrox or Parkhead after a full house.  70,000 head to Haymarket Station at 10pm after a midweek game. 65,00 are still there the next morning.

Any large event takes ages to get away from, that won't change. the stadium itself could be far better for actually seeing a game rather than huge sections being miles away from the park

Any large event takes ages to get away from, that won't change. the stadium itself could be far better for actually seeing a game rather than huge sections being miles away from the park

You can walk to the west end and Lothian road in about half an hour from Murrayfield

A similar walk from Parkhead will get you to the Merchant city

Head north from Hampden and you might get to Eglinton Toll in that time

At St James’s park Newcastle you’re “in town” as soon as you leave the stadium

The problem is not that it takes a long time to get home from Hampden it’s that it takes a long time to just to get to proper Glasgow after the match

On 21/12/2021 at 22:32, CraigFairlie said:

Absolutely yes. 

It's a dive. The distance from the seats to the pitch are too far and it's just horrible. The hospitality areas aren't bad though, to be fair. 

Went to see Springsteen at Hampden a few years back, the gig was sensational, as it's Springsteen, but the sound wasn't brilliant, due to the fact that it wasn't built up, like Murrayfield is. Stadium gigs in Glasgow should be at Celtic Park or Ibrox. 

I'd like to think that enlightened artists would boycott venues built on the back of sectarian bigotry in much the same way as they would boycott venues built on the back of racist bigotry.

On 24/12/2021 at 13:28, topcat(The most tip top) said:

You can walk to the west end and Lothian road in about half an hour from Murrayfield

A similar walk from Parkhead will get you to the Merchant city

Head north from Hampden and you might get to Eglinton Toll in that time

At St James’s park Newcastle you’re “in town” as soon as you leave the stadium

The problem is not that it takes a long time to get home from Hampden it’s that it takes a long time to just to get to proper Glasgow after the match

Unfortunately the infrastructure between north of the river and the south side has always been side 

Glasgow went from an average sized town to one of the most heavily populated cities in Europe fairly quickly thanks to industrialisation 

If my memory is right the areas where all 3 Hampden's had been was nothing but farmland at the time.

Edit: I forgot to say, I’m pretty sure the location of Hampden was never considered with the intention of people travelling from all across Scotland at the time.

Edited by Clown Job

On 26/12/2021 at 13:29, kennie makevin said:

I'd like to think that enlightened artists would boycott venues built on the back of sectarian bigotry in much the same way as they would boycott venues built on the back of racist bigotry.

Gigs at both Celtic Park and Ibrox have happened in the past. Bon Jovi played at Ibrox in about 2002 so not that long ago in the grand scheme of things.

On 27/12/2021 at 23:48, Clown Job said:

If my memory is right the areas where all 3 Hampden's had been was nothing but farmland at the time.

20220101-142005.jpg

Indeed, you look at this image from 1905, all the land south and east of Hampden is just fields.

Explains why a farmhouse ended up being an intrinsic part of Lesser Hampden (until last month 😖).

On 26/12/2021 at 13:29, kennie makevin said:

I think its best for us all that you dont.

How often is Murrayfield and Hampden used a year for big crowd games? Maybe 10 days each? Both stadiums are both extremely outdated.

Would make perfect sense for them to come together and build a new world class national stadium. I'm sure if they came together they could easily finance it with debenture schemes and long term finance.

How often is Murrayfield and Hampden used a year for big crowd games? Maybe 10 days each? Both stadiums are both extremely outdated.

Would make perfect sense for them to come together and build a new world class national stadium. I'm sure if they came together they could easily finance it with debenture schemes and long term finance.

The SRU have only recently cleared the burden of the long term finance that built the new Murrayfield in the mid 1990’s why would they remortgage themselves to the hilt again?

On 01/01/2022 at 15:21, ftk said:

I’m not sure what you mean by outdated in terms of Murrayfield? There is absolutely no reason really for the SRU to change stadium. Hampden is just a terrible overall design.

Even at double the money that’s still considerably better value

But it’s a false comparison. The millenium stadium is a rugby stadium that generates useful additional income from hosting football and concerts

The WRU will be charging a top price of £115 for Wales vs Scotland. There are a few seats in the gods for £40 but nonetheless the WRU are liable to generate as much match day revenue from one home game as the Scottish Football Team do in a normal year.

With the nations league providing more “competitive” fixtures in both senses of the word things may improve but ultimately hampden is cheap because Scottish international football is cheap

I don’t think that’s always been the case though. I can’t speak for Wales but it’s only been in the last ten years or so that ticket prices for Murrayfield have become much higher than those for Hampden. I seriously doubt that any gap in ticket prices for rugby vs football had any impact at all in the design for the Principality in comparison to Hampden.

Hampden is a poor design but is it all that bad?

I used to get really annoyed about state of Hampden then I thought it's 4 games a season max and would say 70% of seats are OK.  North and South Stand are fine while the sides of the East and West stands are OK.  For all my recent visits my seats have been directly behind the goal of the East Stand but in the triple letter rows which although miles away give a full unobstructed view of pitch and are acceptable.

The views in the two ends to about 20 rows up are very poor and unless you are going for the occassion or atmosphere you'd be as well not being there.

Ofcourse getting away especially midweek can be hopeless but I'm sure that's the same for all big grounds and even indoor arenas.

I think if the TV cameras where switched to the North Stand it would give it a better look on TV (but only when full) because it does look very poor in comparison to new stadia but no one is going to fund anything better, anytime soon.

On 07/01/2022 at 17:04, Eder said:

it does look very poor in comparison to new stadia but no one is going to fund anything better, anytime soon.

Looks like possibility of World Cup funding is oot the windae anyway...

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12510338/britain-and-ireland-consider-joint-euro-2028-bid-which-could-mean-scrapping-plans-to-stage-world-cup-2030

• 9 months later...

Some funding available for Hampden if the euro bid is accepted. My gut reaction is that £14m isn’t close to what is needed, although this is only from Glasgow City Council and I dare say they could attempt to source funding from elsewhere too.

Euro 2028: Hampden could be in line for £14m windfall if UK & Ireland bid wins https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63519445