Hampden Park has it had its Day ?

At times of public service cuts and deficits, why should government or lottery money help pay to rebuild Hampden?

Especially when it was rebuilt - again with public or lottery money - only 15yrs ago, and people are talking about adding only a few thousand seats.

I'm a football supporter and frankly I wouldn't want money diverted for that. More so as football is, comparatively, a rich sport.

At times of public service cuts and deficits, why should government or lottery money help pay to rebuild Hampden?

Especially when it was rebuilt - again with public or lottery money - only 15yrs ago, and people are talking about adding only a few thousand seats.

I'm a football supporter and frankly I wouldn't want money diverted for that. More so as football is, comparatively, a rich sport.

You could use the same argument against building or upgrading anything 'unnecessary'. It's not a daft argument if it's lottery money set aside for sports anyway in addition to money the SFA already has or can raise or can pay off over time.

Besides, Hampden has undergone remodeling again and again, why stop now? The north, east and west are a 22 year-old half-arsed upgrade, time to bring them up to scratch imo. Add a few thousand to the north, east and west if stadium size is a problem, taking it to 60k.

The three sides that need rebuilt haven't really been rebuilt though, seats slapped on terracing and a new roof. Already outdated before it was finished.

As for spending taxpayers money, that's what budgets are for. Govt money is spent every day on things which a percentage of the electorate will determine as wasteful, that's life.  Football is the national sport and should therefore attract a certain level of funding.

Let's say it costs £100m to re-model with the Scottish Govt shelling in £25m, that's chicken feed. The new Forth Bridge is estimated to come in at £150m under budget from £1.4bn.

As for Lottery money, £120m was spent on Wembley.

Edited by Burnie_man

Hampden is a fucking terrible park to watch fitbaw in unless your in a lucky few areas, it takes ages to get away from at full time and is just generally shite.

We DO NOT need a national stadium.    Parkhead and ibrox for big games , easter road and pittoddrie for smaller games.

Last years cops del rey final was at the camp nou, Barcelona were in the final, the Madrid derby CDR final was at the bernabaue.  Germany do not have a national stadium either, total waste of money, if we are going to be sensible about it the sfa should be looking at a compensation package for queens park plus the building of a ground in that area that suits their needs. They will also be entitled to some or all of the sale proceeds depending on how the ownership is tied up legally.

Scotland games can be decided on game by game basis.

The league and Scottish cup finals can have be split between ibrox and parkhead  then alternated each season. semi finals can be decided once the draw is made .

Not rocket science

Edited by effeffsee_the2nd

For atmosphere, when a must win qualifier is on, I've never heard anything quite like Hampden. The Holland, Italy, France, Spain, Germany, Poland and Ukraine atmospheres were phenomenal. In fact, a couple of the French boys who have played in the biggest leagues and won everything in the game said it's the best atmosphere they had ever played in.

When it's quiet however, it's really quiet. There is no happy medium. Also, the transport links aren't great unless you go regularly and know exactly what you're doing.

I'm really torn on this - I've loved games at Hampden over the years and I would never think of jacking in my TA membership, however, the ground could be so much more, (especially if you have visited Wembley to see how stadia should really be).

Of course it's a bit Shit, but I kinda like the big bowl effect with a track round it. (In fact, I'd also bring back those massive stanchions on the goals)

That's how big games looked when I was a kid and I think it's a shame that Wembley ones no longer do.

We definitely need somewhere that's independent of the OF. You only need to look at what the SFA decided ahead of the 2014 Scottish Cup semi-finals and final, to see the need for that.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Of course it's a bit Shit, but I kinda like the big bowl effect with a track round it. (In fact, I'd also bring back those massive stanchions on the goals)

That's how big games looked when I was a kid and I think it's a shame that Wembley ones no longer do.

We definitely need somewhere that's independent of the OF. You only need to look at what the SFA decided ahead of the 2014 Scottish Cup semi-finals and final, to see the need for that

I thought it was pretty sensible, park head got both finals ibrox got 2 semi's.

If you were doing it permanently  then ibrox gets the league cup an park head gets the Scottish cup. The following season they swap,  for the sc semis's first out the hat gets ibrox 2nd gets park head, swap following season? Not hard. If the OFare against a diddy team at hampden theyl get 3/4 of the tickets for a game in glasgow anyway so hardly a massive change

I thought it was pretty sensible, park head got both finals ibrox got 2 semi's.

If you were doing it permanently  then ibrox gets the league cup an park head gets the Scottish cup. The following season they swap,  for the sc semis's first out the hat gets ibrox 2nd gets park head, swap following season? Not hard. If the OFare against a diddy team at hampden theyl get 3/4 of the tickets for a game in glasgow anyway so hardly a massive change

Rubbish.

What they did was about as far as can be imagined from sensible.

There was no need whatever to make a decision so far in advance of the Scottish Cup games that meant it was likely one would get a home semi final (as happened) while the other was likely to get a home final (as didn't). Precedent told us that no such decision was necessary and the authorities were untroubled by the fact that the age old tradition of neutral venues was being abandoned.

Your suggestion is that we enshrine such unfairness for the future.

Spectacularly stupid stuff.

In effect the situation in 2014 illustrates exactly why we need a Hampden.

Firstly, they had to give Ibrox both Semi-finals as they gave Celtic the Final. Secondly, finding that Rangers had reached one of those Semi-finals they stuck with it despite pleas - even from their opponents - to play it at a neutral venue.

If you don't have Hampden, you have the authorities constantly needing to give something to one half of OF every time they have to give something to the other... If you have that you have all the other clubs feeling - in most cases justifiably - badly treated when they're made to play SFs or Finals at an OF opponents ground, instead of a neutral venue.

Portugal is often cited as a comparison - no national stadium / 3 large, usually dominant clubs - but the similarity doesn't show through. They play their FA cup final at the old Olympic stadium, and their League Cup final at provincial venues. SFs over 2 legs. Internationals are constantly, widely rotated.

Rubbish.What they did was about as far as can be imagined from sensible.There was no need whatever to make a decision so far in advance of the Scottish Cup games that meant it was likely one would get a home semi final (as happened) while the other was likely to get a home final (as didn't). Precedent told us that no such decision was necessary and the authorities were untroubled by the fact that the age old tradition of neutral venues was being abandoned.Your suggestion is that we enshrine such unfairness for the future. Spectacularly stupid stuff.

This is how they do it in other countries. Barcalona got a "home" game for last years copa del rey final. Bayern munich got a home game for the champions league in 2012. If you decide the venues at the start of the season then there should be no whinging.

Hampden is already as good as a home game in terms of fan allocation when the old firm play anyone other than each other. Hearts hibs and aberdeen.

I dont think your being very grown up about it. Everyone can agree theyr both better stadiums. Hampden is shite. You sure your not just going straight to " f**k the old firm" ?

In this country though, that has one of the very earliest Cup competitions, there is a long established tradition of semi finals and finals taking place at neutral venues.

In previous seasons when Hampden was unavailable, it was ensured when remotely possible, that the matches took place at the homes of no competing sides. 2014 saw a ludicrous and indefensible departure from this policy.

Citing European finals as very occasionally falling at the home of a finalist is not, I'm afraid, relevant to this discussion.

To be honest, the need for a Hampden and what happened in 2014 are separate issues, although they're related and the first one is further strengthened by the abuse evident in the second one.

I don't think I did go "straight to f**k the Old Firm" to be honest, but if I arrived there, I make no apology for it.

Our game is already wildly enough skewed in their favour. We shouldn't meekly accept, or in this case propose, that that is further exacerbated.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Portugal is often cited as a comparison - no national stadium / 3 large, usually dominant clubs - but the similarity doesn't show through. They play their FA cup final at the old Olympic stadium, and their League Cup final at provincial venues. SFs over 2 legs. Internationals are constantly, widely rotated.

The Estadio Nacional in Lisbon is the national stadium! it's where Celtic won the European Cup and where the Portuguese Cup final is played. That said, they rarely if ever play Internationals there anymore.

Bid for Euro 2028 with the Republic of Ireland,

In Scotland have 
1. Redeveloped Hampden circa. 68,000 for the tournament and 60,000 post-Euros

2. Murrayfield 67,500

3. Celtic Park or Ibrox 60,000/51,000

4. Aberdeen ArenA expanded to 30,000
5. Discovery Stadium in Dundee 30,000 for the Euros then 17,000 post-Euros

In Ireland:
1. Croke Park  circa. 68,000 when the terracing is closed  

2 .Aviva Stadium 51,700
3. New Cork GAA Stadium 45,000  (already being built)

4. Semple Stadium 40,000 (removal of terracing with seats)
5. Thomond Park 30,000 (redeveloped)

6. RDS Arena exapnded to 30,000 - if needed

EDIT: There's a 50,000 capacity ground in Thurles.

Edited by Marr1

It is a great idea on paper... then you look at the practicalities... You have named 10 stadiums in 7 cities when realistically a winning bad is going to be looking at 12 stadiums and certainly 9 or 10 cities. Half the stadiums you name would be new builds or almost total re-builds, and some would become 'white elephants'.

The Estadio Nacional in Lisbon is the national stadium! it's where Celtic won the European Cup and where the Portuguese Cup final is played. That said, they rarely if ever play Internationals there anymore.

That was my point. Despite it apparently being a bit of a dump nowadays they still take finals there rather than rotating them around the club stadiums.

It is a great idea on paper... then you look at the practicalities... You have named 10 stadiums in 7 cities when realistically a winning bad is going to be looking at 12 stadiums and certainly 9 or 10 cities. Half the stadiums you name would be new builds or almost total re-builds, and some would become 'white elephants'.

That was my point. Despite it apparently being a bit of a dump nowadays they still take finals there rather than rotating them around the club stadiums.

Which one's will be White Elephants?

Aberdeen Stadium will return back to the 22,000 original capacity

Discovery Stadium at 17,000 would be perfect to serve United's needs - and it's perfect for Lg Cup SF, Scotland Friendlies etc,

Hampden granted, but it's not much bigger than it is right now

The Irish grounds are really no different - Munster can get 26,000 for a Heineken Cup match