Jump to content

Hampden Park has it had its Day ?


Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Hampden redevelopment proposed as part of World Cup 2030 bid...

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/19569931.scottish-fa-plot-hampden-redevelopment-part-joint-world-cup-bid/

 

(will probably mean new bogs).

 

If Maxwell is allowed anywhere near the process, we'll lose out to the Afghanistan/Yemen bid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"I think Hampden gets a bit of a bad rep.

"I think it’s a narrative that people continue and I don’t believe anyone really thinks that.

"Anyone who has been here for a full cup final or a Scotland-England game will tell you how good it is when the stadium is full

 

He's so full of shite. There's a reason a full house SCF or Scotland England is a great atmosphere and it isn't the stadium. Get him sitting in the back of the east stand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First thing Maxwell says in praise of Hampden is about the pitch. Woop-de-do. That's the bare minimum and every major ground in the world has a good pitch now.

He must be incredibly out of touch if he doesn't believe "anyone" really thinks Hampden is a poor stadium. I'm sure the vast majority of match-going fans in Scotland think it's pretty crap. Did it really look good at Euro 2020? I thought the comparison with Budapest and Bucharest brought into stark relief just how outdated it really is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's about 75 metres from the back row behind the goals to the goal line at Hampden. At Parkhead it's 63 metres, and that's in a much larger ground with a much smaller main stand. At Ibrox it's just 51 metres. Parkhead and Ibrox have much steeper stands too. 

Screenshot 2021-09-10 at 14.40.56.png

Screenshot 2021-09-10 at 14.41.51.png

Screenshot 2021-09-10 at 14.44.19.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The North and South stands are decent. Obviously if you're in the front row behind the goals you'll see practically fck all between advertising boards and being about a mile from the opposite goal. I dont think it's the worst ground but the fans being so far from the pitch behind the goals really does let it down 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Defending the layout and design of the stadium is not easy.

However, defending the value of the stadium in terms of its history and neutrality absolutely is. 

 That's what wins the day for me.  It would be a comfier win if the finance to redevelop the two ends existed though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wouldn't it be good for the SFA to say they're going to develop both ends of Hampden, whether the 2030 bid wins or not. Maybe it's a case of finding a big sponsor Emirates,Etihad etc to find the money or it'll never happen. Anywhere around Glasgow or Edinburgh where they could relocate ? Guess the obvious answer was for both the SFA / SRFU to share, get more useage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/09/2021 at 09:59, Lurkst said:

Interesting to read that a remodelling similar to Stuttgart is being considered....

 

Did they ever do anything with the roof at Stuttgart.

Looking at the overhead from Hampden rebuilding without a roof will leave a large number of seats very exposed to the weather. 

There has to be a better solution than that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/09/2021 at 06:44, Monkey Tennis said:

Defending the layout and design of the stadium is not easy.

However, defending the value of the stadium in terms of its history and neutrality absolutely is. 

 That's what wins the day for me.  It would be a comfier win if the finance to redevelop the two ends existed though.


Absolutely this. Scottish football would be a much worse place without a Hampden Park.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/09/2021 at 17:36, realmadrid said:

Did they ever do anything with the roof at Stuttgart.

Looking at the overhead from Hampden rebuilding without a roof will leave a large number of seats very exposed to the weather. 

There has to be a better solution than that.

Yes, then extended it all round so everyone had cover. In post-renovation pictures you can see the new inner ring clearly.

SBW-REF_MERCEDES-BENZ-ARENA-STUTTGART_APJ-1_182X90_4C.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/09/2021 at 03:10, GordonS said:

Yes, then extended it all round so everyone had cover. In post-renovation pictures you can see the new inner ring clearly.

SBW-REF_MERCEDES-BENZ-ARENA-STUTTGART_APJ-1_182X90_4C.jpg

Thanks

I still think they would need to take the roof off the ends as it would seriously limit the height of the stands, especially if we went for steep ends.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My ideal solution would involve taking the whole roof off and doing the following to try and get to around 70,000 seats. 

  • Bring the pitch closer to the existing South stand, creating room on the North side.
  • Adding a 3rd tier on the South stand, a basic bolt on to the back of the existing facilities , with some boxes put in at the top of the second tier (debenture level).
  • East and West stands demolished and brought close to the pitch, large double tiered ends built so that the stadium can be made smaller for certain semi finals but still look good on tv
  • North stand demolished and replaced with a single tier stand close to the pitch with a large number of boxes above it to keep the roof in line with the ends.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a disgrace that there is gap of 30,000 seats between Scotland's 4th biggest stadium (Ibrox) and it's 5th biggest (Pittodrie)

 

That combined with the fact that three of the top four are within a few miles of each other and the other is a rugby ground mean we have a mountain to climb if we ever want to host a tournament even on a shared basis with other UK nations.

 

We absolutely NEED a 30k-35k seat stadium in Scotland. It would be perfect for cup semi finals between (say) Hearts and Motherwell who are never filling Hampden but could have a medium sized ground absolutely rocking. Would also be perfect for international friendlies and lower profile qualifiers.

Edited by Donathan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Too late now but the correct move would have been to invest in a share of Murrayfield for cup finals and bigger Scotland games and build a 30,000 seater in Glasgow for smaller Scotland games, cup semis (when OF not involved) and gigs.

 

Too late now.

Everyone thinks murrayfield would be a good option as a football stadium. Until they watch a game of football there.  It's not far off Hampden for shite views behind the goals and poor facilities.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

It's a disgrace that there is gap of 30,000 seats between Scotland's 4th biggest stadium (Ibrox) and it's 5th biggest (Pittodrie)

 

That combined with the fact that three of the top four are within a few miles of each other and the other is a rugby ground mean we have a mountain to climb if we ever want to host a tournament even on a shared basis with other UK nations.

 

We absolutely NEED a 30k-35k seat stadium in Scotland. It would be perfect for cup semi finals between (say) Hearts and Motherwell who are never filling Hampden but could have a medium sized ground absolutely rocking. Would also be perfect for international friendlies and lower profile qualifiers.

We would be better developing Hampden with facilities that can be split

BC place in Vancouver is around Hampden Park capacity but for the MLS looks full but its only a one tier venue 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...