Hampden Park has it had its Day ?

31 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

Fair dos.

I was thinking of the new Spurs stadium really. I've been to a match there and the "home" end behind the goals is  impressive, close to 20k capacity maybe?

Anyway, just a thought.

Totally understandable. It's hard not to be envious when you see the new stadia that have sprung up in London recently. 

Unfortunately history has dealt us a different hand and I doubt there will be much investment in facilities for the foreseeable, unless the fabled World Cup joint bid comes to fruition...

21 hours ago, Lurkst said:

It's been mentioned earlier in the thread that replacing the East and West stands would likely have to result in a serious reduction in capacity. 

I think the only possible option would be to lower the pitch by a few feet which would increase capacity by a couple of thousand and improve the sight lines from behind the goal slightly.

There is an issue there with the culvert that runs under the pitch but you would think diverting that would be considerably less expensive than building a new stadium.

I don't see why. The footprint of Hamden is bigger than  Murrayfield and Parkhead. Move the pitch nearer the south stand and build three new 2 tier stands  the same size as Parkhead's and you have 65000 capacity stadium in a footprint smaller than it currently is. Benefit of a tiered stadium is you can close upper tiers to suit non capacity semi finals.

I know, money.

• 1 month later...
On 10/12/2020 at 15:05, Academically Deficient said:

Fair dos.

I was thinking of the new Spurs stadium really. I've been to a match there and the "home" end behind the goals is  impressive, close to 20k capacity maybe?

Anyway, just a thought.

Pretty close it's about 17,500 which would take Hampdens capacity into the low 60,000s

To keep the current overall capacity you'd need something on a similar scale to the Stretford End or the Kop at each end

• 5 months later...
On 01/07/2021 at 09:25, Lurkst said:

As much as I have fondness for the place it's been shown up badly in comparison to other Euros venues. Not helped by the much restricted attendance of course.

That was showing in the 2014 UEFA report where the stadiums who were bidding to host were all evaluated

https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/competitions/General/02/14/49/29/2144929_DOWNLOAD.pdf

In the final round of voting the 6 remaining hosts were voted in by the 15 delegates on a 6-5-4-3-2-1 system over the 8 remaining venues. Hampden made it by 1 vote from Cardiff in 6th place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_bids

As this was in 2014 and not a lot has changed since I would expect that's the last major event we will ever see at Hampden in its current condition.

The only hope i have for improvements could be a UK wide bit for the world cup in 2030. Could that get funding to develop the ends, increase the number of cratering outlets and toilets and have a better number of turnstiles?

I would hope the SFA do have a long term plan for the place or we will just be left behind.

On 08/07/2021 at 14:39, realmadrid said:

That was showing in the 2014 UEFA report where the stadiums who were bidding to host were all evaluated

https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/competitions/General/02/14/49/29/2144929_DOWNLOAD.pdf

In the final round of voting the 6 remaining hosts were voted in by the 15 delegates on a 6-5-4-3-2-1 system over the 8 remaining venues. Hampden made it by 1 vote from Cardiff in 6th place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_bids

As this was in 2014 and not a lot has changed since I would expect that's the last major event we will ever see at Hampden in its current condition.

The only hope i have for improvements could be a UK wide bit for the world cup in 2030. Could that get funding to develop the ends, increase the number of cratering outlets and toilets and have a better number of turnstiles?

I would hope the SFA do have a long term plan for the place or we will just be left behind.

Unless of course, SNP have their way and we are no longer part of UK, in which case we'd be left on the outside looking in.

Edited by AlbionMan

7 minutes ago, AlbionMan said:

Unless of course, SNP have their way and we are no longer part of UK, in which case we'd be left on the outside looking in.

Pretty sure Republic of Ireland were part of the talks for that bid too so not necessarily.

On 09/07/2021 at 18:38, AlbionMan said:

Like we are politically with Europe at present...I'd quite happily reside on the outside of the UK and have a peek in to rubber neck all the old, rich, middle class & skint populist right wingers make a complete c*nt of it.

BoJo is creating an atmosphere akin to Munich in the 1920s when all the brown shirts were beginning to get hot under the collar.

f**k the right-wing and all who sail with her (which happily for me includes Sevco and the lowest common denominator of pond life that follow follow them)...

Edited by Bogbrush1903

On 10/07/2021 at 21:57, mizfit said:

Hardly going to bin it when they d purchased it.

But work needs done and we need to start preparing soon.

I don’t think they would but they could didn’t they only buy it for £5m a lot of prime land which can be redeveloped at a big profit.

4 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

I don’t think they would but they could didn’t they only buy it for £5m a lot of prime land which can be redeveloped at a big profit.

It was only that price as there are a lot of grants that need paid back if the stadium ceased to be used.

If the SFA had gone with the Murrayfield plan , Queens Park would have been stuck with a massive stadium , massive costs and little options until the grant funding (and debenture holders) had been repaid.

1 minute ago, realmadrid said:

It was only that price as there are a lot of grants that need paid back if the stadium ceased to be used.

If the SFA had gone with the Murrayfield plan , Queens Park would have been stuck with a massive stadium , massive costs and little options until the grant funding (and debenture holders) had been repaid.

There must be some sort of time lapse re grants, don’t know how long the debentures were for.

Once both expire a handsome profit could be made.

1 minute ago, cowdenbeath said:

There must be some sort of time lapse re grants, don’t know how long the debentures were for.

Once both expire a handsome profit could be made.

The debentures last until they are paid back. Its effectively an interest free loan between fans and now the SFA although some debentures were given to the builders as the whole project ran out of cash.

They were supposed to be paid back at the end of the 2019 but as a debenture holder i knew they would just kick the can down the road a bit

its 2040 before the liability to the millennium commission grant expires (Half of the 24 million given) and i assume its the same for other grants

The land without a stadium was valued at around 25 million and the stadium itself about the same in the sale ,so if they are prepared to wait until 2040 a profit can be made.

The UK famously being a member of FIFA...

And who are the hosts of the 2026 World Cup? Who hosted in 2002? Single countries?

Do you see literally everything through the prism of your politics or did you really think you had a point?

Are you actually that stupid or just angry enough to say stupid things?

It's a UK and Ireland bid, so not every country involved is part of the same political union anyway. And there have been multiple multi-state international championships. Multi-state world cups are likely to become the norm from 2026 onwards.

I really do have a big soft stop for the stadium, but I’ll need to admit it was looking pretty poor in comparison to the other stadiums being used for the Euros 

No idea where the cash to do it up would come from.

Football brings in a lot of money to the economy, and as we have just seen the national team being successful can really help lift the mood of people.

Unfortunately the Scottish Government struggle to show anything other than distain towards the game, so I’m not exactly convinced they’ll be much of a help towards modernising it  

20 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Football brings in a lot of money to the economy, and as we have just seen the national team being successful can really help lift the mood of people.

Unfortunately the Scottish Government struggle to show anything other than distain towards the game, so I’m not exactly convinced they’ll be much of a help towards modernising it  

I know it's probably an unpopular opinion around here, but I wouldn't want to see any public money spent on elite football or Hampden Park - especially in the current climate. It's an industry with annual revenues above £200 million in which many workers earn salaries over £100,000. We don't use public money to support cinemas or golf clubs or bowling alleys. Should we be spending public money to upgrade a serviceable football ground we don't technically need while Glasgow Life is forced to cut services and shed 500 jobs?

I'm fine with public money going into mass participation and youth football, but the top end should be able to look after itself. It's not the government's fault that the top football clubs would rather spend their money on wages than on facilities.