Hampden Park has it had its Day ?

4 hours ago, GordonS said:

The SRU want to grow rugby in the west. 

Pretty much this. There’s huge potential for it in the Glasgow area. Glasgow Warriors selling out all home games last 2 seasons shows there’s people wanting to watch Rugby in Glasgow. Granted stadium is limited to 7351 in regular season but can go up to 10000 for big games. The only SPFL teams that have a bigger attendance are the OF, Hearts, Hibs & Aberdeen. Not bad for a Club that once only had 300 people turn up to watch a decade or so ago.

Edited by David990

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Lurkst said:

So how did Murrayfield cope with a full house for the fitba.  Anybody here experience it today?

Been there today. Seemed well organised, transport not an issue. I sat in the Hearts end, with fans directed towards their end and Celtic on the other side to theirs. Seemed no issues with it at all. Was easy enough to get away after the game as well. Only downside was the pubs being packed before the game so it was difficult to find somewhere to drink, ended up in one of the pubs near Tynecastle stadium. Although I can imagine plenty of fans just went into the city centre, which I didn't do.

2 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Transport? Seems to have been a problem for people trying to leave Edinburgh.

I didn't encounter any major problems, it seemed ok to me. Not worse than at Hampden. Having said that, it obviously made it easier that Hearts were one of the 2 teams involved and many fans live locally. Probably a large chunk of Hearts fans just walked home. So this is no guarantee how it will go if 2 non-Edinburgh teams were playing there.

• 1 year later...
On 30/10/2018 at 06:55, Hampden Diehard said:

Transport? Seems to have been a problem for people trying to leave Edinburgh.

No parking around Murrayfield apart from the Skating Rink area.  

I really wish we could build a New Hampden in the middle of Scotland where transport links are decent for the whole Country.  Denny - Stirling area.  

Build a stadium with 3 tiers, 30/30/30k.  90k fully open for Big Scotland games and Celtic Rangers finals for instance, dropping down to 60k for other big games and then 30k for smaller crowds expected but keeping the New Hampden experience there. 

Edited by City Jacobite

• 1 month later...

Maybe a new stadium, naming rights, portable pitch, other events being staged. Lack of investment usually ends in a crap,poor looking stadium, all depends is say Coca Cola can imagine 10-20 sell out gigs, which would make up for 5 or 6 games of football. Out of interest, what % of Scottish fans come from outside the 2 big cities ?

• 2 months later...

It seems that SFA has used Hampden as security on a £5 million loan - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54506073.

"The Scottish FA has secured £5m of funding as part of the Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme. 

The money has been agreed through Santander Bank with a floating charge against "all the property or undertaking of the company".

Scotland's governing body agreed to buy Hampden, the national stadium, last year from Queen's Park....

"The association faces losing £3m of revenue if fans do not return soon."

• 1 month later...

Said years ago that they missed their chance when British Leyland at Bathgate closed down. You could not have asked for a better location. M8 from the west and the east. A1 , A7 ,M74 and M77 from the south. A9/M90 from the north to mention just a few. The opportunity to build a stadium with adequate parking and it's own dedicated railway station sadly missed. Proper stadium with sliding roof to allow them to hold concerts etc., It could have been done .

On 28/06/2020 at 09:34, City Jacobite said:

No parking around Murrayfield apart from the Skating Rink area.  

I really wish we could build a New Hampden in the middle of Scotland where transport links are decent for the whole Country.  Denny - Stirling area.  

Build a stadium with 3 tiers, 30/30/30k.  90k fully open for Big Scotland games and Celtic Rangers finals for instance, dropping down to 60k for other big games and then 30k for smaller crowds expected but keeping the New Hampden experience there. 

Agree on the central part, 

either side of the Motorway as you are passing Stirling...

plenty good , flat ground in that area..

Other areas near that big feckin roundabout at Stirling services, roads in all directions.

Time to dump Glasgow..

They should look at the layout of the college football, NFL type stadia for an idea..

Good parking, easy access.

Hampden is murder

Only been to Hampden a couple of times, is it the location and /or stadium itself that is the issue ? What's more important, snarled up parking spaces or good transport links ? Maybe there could be a multi sports stadium with a drop in pitch in the future, to be financially viable. The FA down south are clowns, so guess the SFA are the same ? About time Scotland had a new stadium anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this because it's an interesting thread.

If we had lost to Serbia, we'd have been using Douglas Park for home games 😪. Fortunately it's all good.

On a serious note, the focus on car parking is a bit misplaced I think. Train or metro links are more important when you look at big stadia across Europe. Also, people like to have a drink (almost compulsory to get me through a Scotland game).

If asked to predict what will happen rather than what I'd like, they'll knock down the stands behind the goals and replace with more modern facilities, closer to the pitch. Leaves loads of room behind for fan zones etc.

Scotland will need to qualify for WC22 to have any hope of this happening. And the one after.

On 09/12/2020 at 14:23, Academically Deficient said:

If asked to predict what will happen rather than what I'd like, they'll knock down the stands behind the goals and replace with more modern facilities, closer to the pitch. Leaves loads of room behind for fan zones etc.

It's been mentioned earlier in the thread that replacing the East and West stands would likely have to result in a serious reduction in capacity. 

I think the only possible option would be to lower the pitch by a few feet which would increase capacity by a couple of thousand and improve the sight lines from behind the goal slightly.

There is an issue there with the culvert that runs under the pitch but you would think diverting that would be considerably less expensive than building a new stadium.

Edited by Lurkst

2 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

It's been mentioned earlier in the thread that replacing the East and West stands would likely have to result in a serious reduction in capacity. 

I think the only possible option would be to lower the pitch by a few feet which would increase capacity by a couple of thousand and improve the sight lines from behind the goal slightly.

There is an issue there with the culvert that runs under the pitch but you would think diverting that would be considerably less expensive than building a new stadium.

Fair dos.

I was thinking of the new Spurs stadium really. I've been to a match there and the "home" end behind the goals is  impressive, close to 20k capacity maybe?

Anyway, just a thought.