Junior football - Debate

Beng24310

Just wanted to start a debate regarding any issues that people think are good or bad in the juniors. Also, was thinking that if anybody wanted to post any ideas for what they think needs to change in years to come in the hope that it might get noticed & certain people take notice. If it's been done already & people are fed up talking about it then apologies in advance.

I am a massive fan of junior football having watched in my teenage years, played in it for almost half my life & now involved with coaching at a great club. Plan in the future to join the committee of my local junior team whenever I take a step back from coaching. I would always look to follow the juniors instead of any senior side and would hate to see a day where the juniors became defunct because changes weren't made.

I had my first experience of Lowland league teams today and my first visit to K park in East Kilbride. What a fantastic set up, was really impressed, would love to see as many of these types of community facilities in as many places as possible. However, I'm still not a fan of semi professional football being played on 3G surfaces and prefer grass any day. As for the teams I thought East Kilbride were a good side that tried to play some great stuff at times. Then watched BSC Glasgow play Stirling Uni and didn't think it was a great game or advertisement for the Lowland League. Don't understand why when we have an East Kilbride junior team that you would then want a LL team from the same area, likewise with Cumbernauld. I may be being biased but I didn't see anything on show that was more entertaining than the juniors so what's the point.

I would love to see Junior football adapt or do whatever it takes to keep its place in the history of Scottish football. Did the Lowland league come about because people felt the juniors was living in the past and not evolving enough and needed to be replaced?

A few issues -

1. The name - the name juniors needs to change as many people don't have a clue that the juniors is semi pro as it sounds like youth football which can't help in trying to attract sponsors. The problem is it sounds right to us fans of the juniors and I will admit I can't think of a good enough alternative.

2. Fixture list - I totally understand that it isn't as easy as it looks but surely there is a way to get some form of a fixture list. My idea was to break it down into stages, would it be possible to give month long fixture lists or even longer in advance. If not why not?

3. Leagues - do they need to change the league set up like the size of the super premier league. Potentially 3 can go down from a 12 team league & 4 from a 14 team super first. Very cut throat when you look at senior football in most other countries out with Scotland.

4. Finances - I find it quite crazy what teams are paying on the wages front even down the leagues & some of these teams could be spending more money on the pitch and ground. A good pitch improves the standard of football & a good ground with shelter would both attract more fans to watch. Look at what's happened at Irvine Meadow and other teams would be in trouble if they lost there big sponsor or investor. Why is this allowed to happen? What about clubs paying a set wage for each league with more incentive or bonus system?

if you have any ideas or suggestions on ways to improve the juniors with as much detail as possible then we could fire them off to the people in charge. Would be interested to hear their view on what could be done or what can't, if not why not?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6 week Winter break easy.... Teams can have a mid season pre-season so they are still sharp, December 20th ish through to Feb ... Continue playing into 1st week of June or start the season a tad earlier? Bigger crowds due to no SPFL games??

Do away with the juniors tag for starters

My mother in law was talking to her aunty on the phone 1 is 79 and the other is 89 and they were talking about me going to watch the football and they still couldn't grasp the fact that it was a semi-pro / non-league football rather than young lads having a kick about, bearing in mind the aunty worked in football for Wolverhampton wanderers and still listens to them on her radio every week and goes in a cream puff when they lose, so for her not to understand it, it is poor

The relegation format in the West of 3 could go down and 4 in the first makes for a much more interesting league with very few meaningless games.

It then means each season the league is shaken up a bit with new teams playing in it and so called established teams going down, rather than coasting along just above relegation.

I would take that any day compared to the 1 or 2 from 12 in senior football, where very little changes each season.

I'd ditch the Juniors tag too - I mentioned on here before I was going out with a girl who was a teacher a while back. When I said I was off to a Junior game she said I should come along and see her school's team, as they were meant to be quite good!

With regard to the divisional setup, I wouldn't change anything. A cut throat league is to be preferred over a stagnant one with fewer dead rubbers between mid-table teams, and most sides having a genuine chance of going either up or down even at this late stage.

Finances are the business of the separate clubs and should remain so. If a club chooses to adopt an unsustainable model to chase success despite the history of other teams doing the same then crashing and burning, that's their shout.

The relegation format in the West of 3 could go down and 4 in the first makes for a much more interesting league with very few meaningless games.

It then means each season the league is shaken up a bit with new teams playing in it and so called established teams going down, rather than coasting along just above relegation.

I would take that any day compared to the 1 or 2 from 12 in senior football, where very little changes each season.

I agree. It's cutthroat but keeps the fixture list fresh.

Just wanted to start a debate regarding any issues that people think are good or bad in the juniors. Also, was thinking that if anybody wanted to post any ideas for what they think needs to change in years to come in the hope that it might get noticed & certain people take notice. If it's been done already & people are fed up talking about it then apologies in advance.

I am a massive fan of junior football having watched in my teenage years, played in it for almost half my life & now involved with coaching at a great club. Plan in the future to join the committee of my local junior team whenever I take a step back from coaching. I would always look to follow the juniors instead of any senior side and would hate to see a day where the juniors became defunct because changes weren't made.

I had my first experience of Lowland league teams today and my first visit to K park in East Kilbride. What a fantastic set up, was really impressed, would love to see as many of these types of community facilities in as many places as possible. However, I'm still not a fan of semi professional football being played on 3G surfaces and prefer grass any day. As for the teams I thought East Kilbride were a good side that tried to play some great stuff at times. Then watched BSC Glasgow play Stirling Uni and didn't think it was a great game or advertisement for the Lowland League. Don't understand why when we have an East Kilbride junior team that you would then want a LL team from the same area, likewise with Cumbernauld. I may be being biased but I didn't see anything on show that was more entertaining than the juniors so what's the point.

I would love to see Junior football adapt or do whatever it takes to keep its place in the history of Scottish football. Did the Lowland league come about because people felt the juniors was living in the past and not evolving enough and needed to be replaced?

A few issues -

1. The name - the name juniors needs to change as many people don't have a clue that the juniors is semi pro as it sounds like youth football which can't help in trying to attract sponsors. The problem is it sounds right to us fans of the juniors and I will admit I can't think of a good enough alternative.

2. Fixture list - I totally understand that it isn't as easy as it looks but surely there is a way to get some form of a fixture list. My idea was to break it down into stages, would it be possible to give month long fixture lists or even longer in advance. If not why not?

3. Leagues - do they need to change the league set up like the size of the super premier league. Potentially 3 can go down from a 12 team league & 4 from a 14 team super first. Very cut throat when you look at senior football in most other countries out with Scotland.

4. Finances - I find it quite crazy what teams are paying on the wages front even down the leagues & some of these teams could be spending more money on the pitch and ground. A good pitch improves the standard of football & a good ground with shelter would both attract more fans to watch. Look at what's happened at Irvine Meadow and other teams would be in trouble if they lost there big sponsor or investor. Why is this allowed to happen? What about clubs paying a set wage for each league with more incentive or bonus system?

if you have any ideas or suggestions on ways to improve the juniors with as much detail as possible then we could fire them off to the people in charge. Would be interested to hear their view on what could be done or what can't, if not why not?

Yes the junior name is a killer. Even those who 'know their football' don't really understand what the junior game is, and more importantly what it represents. In fact the Scottish Government doesn't either. They see it not being part of the pyramid, not really belonging, hanging around on the coat tails of the Lowland League! We can complain about such attitudes but to change it means taking the initiative.

I would like to add the 'governance' of clubs being an issue. On one hand this is known problem of senior football clubs and governing bodies being decidedly 'iffy'.

However most junior clubs are unincorporated associations, so anyone on the committee has potentially limitless financial risk, especially if someone like HMRC comes marching in looking for money.

This legal structure also makes it more difficult for professional people such as accountants or lawyers coming onto committees as they are putting their jobs at risk because of things other committee members may do. Easy to sort out, but needs doing to attract good people. 

More 3g pitches to provide better playing surfaces, more floodlights. Less games in winter, more in summer. Abolition of retention rule. Change name to Scottish Regional Football.

.......and better pies.

Just like the souless environment of Petershill? Pies are about £2.50 each. Oh yes definitely in favour.

You usual post good common sense comments BM but you must have been on the sauce last night lol.

Just like the souless environment of Petershill? Pies are about £2.50 each. Oh yes definitely in favour.

You usual post good common sense comments BM but you must have been on the sauce last night lol.

Why does a 3G pitch make a venue souless? would Petershill be any less souless with grass?

Talbots place wouldn't be any more souless with 3G, although you guys don't need it anyway.

Why does a 3G pitch make a venue souless? would Petershill be any less souless with grass?

Talbots place wouldn't be any more souless with 3G, although you guys don't need it anyway.

Obviously never been there then. Am confident I won't be alone in my view of that venue.

And you answered the 3g question with the last bit. No need for it

A few issues -

1. Juniors has to go, utter nonsense name.

2. Fixture list is only feasible if Scottish Cup is one game played to a finish or to a lesser extent no Scottish cup ties played during winter months.

3. Leagues should be 16 teams. More home fixtures = more income. League cup in West should be scrapped.

4. See 3 and 2. Lack of regular home league fixtures impacts heavily on finances, playing 3 sometimes 4 away league matches on the trot = no income.

Archived