Partick Thistle v Dundee United, April 5th (Tuesday), K/O 19:45

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Decent first half, but chances not taken. Dow skied a sitter. Fell apart second half, resorted to hoof and chase tactics, easily mopped up by the Thistle defence. Lovely goal for Thistle to win it.

My patience is at an end with Mixu. Demel right wing, fucking joke, and took far too long to change it.

No matter which league United are in next season they'll struggle with that clueless twat as manager.

United should have had us utterly battered by half time but for Cerny's excellent performance.

The second half they completely collapsed and allowed us to take the whip hand and control the game, part of the reason we've been able to get out of bother this season has been a sense of togetherness and above all else, effort.

United showed next to no effort in the second half and were utterly spineless, gutless and cowardly in how they went about things.

No team deserves to stay up if they don't apply themselves.

Correct.

Definite game of two halves there.  For once Chick Young got it right when he said that United were murdering us 0-0 in the first half.  We haven't played that badly in a long time, and they could and should have been at least two ahead early on. 

Questionable sub early on when Fraser came off.  I know Fraser would've been playing further forward and behind the striker, but think bringing Pogba on was questionable.  Doolan playing behind isn't going to do the same job further back in the field that Fraser does, would've rather Edwards came on. 

Although United were just playing long balls, it was almost coming off for them.  They probably saw Killie launching balls at us and bullying us into submission that they planned on doing the same.  Luckily Cerny was on the right side of mental with some of his coming off the line and we weathered the storm.

Once Dumbuya came on, the tide changed.  Thought Miller has done well the past few games at right back, but looked pretty good in the middle too.  But Dumbuya was putting the absolute fear into United's left side.  And when the other guy is Amoo - who has mercifully finally decided to actually use the immense pace he has - they were in trouble.  Great finish by Doolan, and for once we managed to close it out.

One question though - was the dive in the last few minutes really a dive?  Hard to tell from where I was sitting.

Noticed the Thistle Directors were seated in the middle of 2000 United supporters. Are there no hospitality boxes at the other Stand? Must be embarrassing for them sometimes.
the thistle directors sit in the directors box in the back of the Jackie Husband Stand.

That's to maintain their mystique. No one knows what they really look like.

Although United were just playing long balls, it was almost coming off for them.  They probably saw Killie launching balls at us and bullying us into submission that they planned on doing the same.  Luckily Cerny was on the right side of mental with some of his coming off the line and we weathered the storm.

That's United's whole game plan - when Mixu came in he tried to get them to play football and discovered that they couldn't - so went route one - it's worked a bit but it's absolutely brutal to watch (and to be part of according to Paul Dixon after the derby)

They reverted to aimless long balls in the second half once we had them on the back foot, but they had us chasing shadows in the first half. They passed it around our midfield with ease and made good use of the pace of Mckay and Dow. We couldn't have complained if we went into the break two or three behind.

Fatty is going to have an aneurysm if he's not careful.

I thought his derby antics were mildly amusing, but he really is an embarrassment.

Blatant. Just like Dow's in the first half. Two of the most pathetic attempts to con a ref that I've ever seen.

I take it you missed Gary Miller's dive in the box against Killie on Saturday.

Not that I'm condoning the United players attempts to con the ref but....stones, glass houses and all that mularchy. 

Questionable sub early on when Fraser came off. I know Fraser would've been playing further forward and behind the striker, but think bringing Pogba on was questionable. Doolan playing behind isn't going to do the same job further back in the field that Fraser does, would've rather Edwards came on.

One question though - was the dive in the last few minutes really a dive? Hard to tell from where I was sitting.

I thought the substitution made no sense at the time, and was possibly to blame for us getting completely overrun in the first half. We'd obviously prepared to play 4-2-3-1 (as with every game really) and to instantly abandon that for a 4-4-2 a couple of minutes in seemed like a strange decision. It wasn't even enforced either; Edwards could have come in for Fraser as a like for like, so if we'd gone in down a couple of goals at HT Archie would have been under a lot more scrutiny for this move. Thankfully we got away with it.

As for the dive, it was blatant. The most pathetic thing about the whole incident wasn't the dive itself, but Paul Paton immediately steaming in to pick a fight with whoever he could find. Unfortunately it happened to be Seaborne, resulting in them both getting booked and now Dan misses the first game after the split. Paton really is a disgusting little rodent.

Archived