Biggest Junior Clubs

Free Agent

I think this thread is verging on vanity!!! For me Beith are a big club because year on year they remain at the top with ages devoted helpers but with a good support!! How can anybody take Glenafton out this equation with all they have achieved, a proper club with proper people!! Talbot are an enigma at all grades of football in Scotland but it can only take them so far! No such thing as a big junior club in Scottish, UK or World football terms! Let's all be happy that we have a competitive grade of football with some history behind it!

To get in the real world though we must join the SPFL pyramid structure, and that's a financial and moral fact. Sorry if that upsets some.

Cracking post Troon Fc,don't worry about the thread verging on vanity,the whole forum gave up 'verging' years ago,and never apologise for upsetting people! That only leads them to believing that their opinions were important in the first place.

Glenafton Athletic - Lugar Boswell Thistle - Burghead Thistle(?)- Lossiemouth Utd(not juniors) - Every Aberdeen based outfit ever - Auchinleck Talbot- Kirkintilloch Rob Roy - Kilsyth Rangers - Cambuslang Rangers - Rutherglen Glencairn - Troon F.C.- Cumnock Juniors F.C. - Kilbirnie Ladeside.

Too many to name ,and some of them surprise me,but these are my top biggest clubs of all time...some of them because they were team's most feared by my father back in the day when I first started watching Talbot...and some of them where I have either witnessed,or have been the recipient of, unconditional acts of true kindness.

Is 'Brighty' the scaffolder fae Kilbirnie still on the go? I think the name was a euphemism...and in an other not unrelated matter...can anyone remember the 'glamorous' couple pictured and remarked upon, in a thread, after a Scottish Cup Final at Livi I think? A work mate is trying to get a copy of a photo of said happy couple,apparently they were both painted up like Talbot Pictish warriors,and she was a wee stoater?

No apologies for going off reservation...

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ach it all about opinion, an online pub discussion and just a bit of fun. The term " big club" is surely all about perception. Peasies name comes up regularly, but that is in a historical context, they were massive in the 50s & 60s and them and a few others would be considered on that historical premise. Beith are a superb club, an example of what Junior football is all about. Are they a big club in terms of the Junior grade? I wouldn't say so but they deserve respect none the less for the way they have went about their business. Pollok are the only Glasgow based team who have a sizeable support, that with the fact they have one of the best most atmospheric grounds, and their success in winning things makes them a big club for me. Linlithgow have demonstrated how to operate and keep improving and moving on under their own self financing steam, that and the fact they can generate crowds with their success makes them a big club. Bo'ness, Bonnyrigg and Tranent have good crowd pulling potential and it is clear the locals will support them given any encouragement. Great to see and something the LL just doesn't have in my experience. Ladeside are a sleeping giant in a way, great potential support.

However, one club for me illustrates the complexity of this debate, Meadow! Historically there is no doubt like Peasie they were huge, superb ground a legacy of those days. Have had success in 80s, 90s the nougties and the much discussed recent money ladened trophy haul. But they now flirt with extinction and are yet another example of how an outside injection of money can ultimately after a predicable flourish almost destroy a club. A mystery to me at times, can be very poorly supported by the local area. A big club? Were a big club? Can they remain a club at all?

Someone mentioned Talbot as an inigma, I consider that no club can take anything for granted, even Talbot. We only need to look at Meadow, who would be in many people's big club list, to see how precarious the whole thing is. Hard work by volunteers is the only way to secure a club's standing, and at times it seems, their existence. Good luck to all Junior clubs with that, including the Medda!

Ach it all about opinion, an online pub discussion and just a bit of fun. The term " big club" is surely all about perception. Peasies name comes up regularly, but that is in a historical context, they were massive in the 50s & 60s and them and a few others would be considered on that historical premise. Beith are a superb club, an example of what Junior football is all about. Are they a big club in terms of the Junior grade? I wouldn't say so but they deserve respect none the less for the way they have went about their business. Pollok are the only Glasgow based team who have a sizeable support, that with the fact they have one of the best most atmospheric grounds, and their success in winning things makes them a big club for me. Linlithgow have demonstrated how to operate and keep improving and moving on under their own self financing steam, that and the fact they can generate crowds with their success makes them a big club. Bo'ness, Bonnyrigg and Tranent have good crowd pulling potential and it is clear the locals will support them given any encouragement. Great to see and something the LL just doesn't have in my experience. Ladeside are a sleeping giant in a way, great potential support.

However, one club for me illustrates the complexity of this debate, Meadow! Historically there is no doubt like Peasie they were huge, superb ground a legacy of those days. Have had success in 80s, 90s the nougties and the much discussed recent money ladened trophy haul. But they now flirt with extinction and are yet another example of how an outside injection of money can ultimately after a predicable flourish almost destroy a club. A mystery to me at times, can be very poorly supported by the local area. A big club? Were a big club? Can they remain a club at all?

Someone mentioned Talbot as an inigma, I consider that no club can take anything for granted, even Talbot. We only need to look at Meadow, who would be in many people's big club list, to see how precarious the whole thing is. Hard work by volunteers is the only way to secure a club's standing, and at times it seems, their existence. Good luck to all Junior clubs with that, including the Medda!

Don't believe all the hype coming from Tranent about their thousands of supporters. Yes, there was a fair crowd at last weeks Tranent v Whitburn game, but a lot were neutrals, and there were a lot more than the 40-50 that was stated on another thread through from Whitburn.

And let's not forget the Tranent glory hunters/fair weather supporters. I didn't see many of them at the corresponding game earlier in the season. Every team has there share of them.

Bloody hell you do go on and on and on:-D

Don't believe all the hype coming from Tranent about their thousands of supporters. Yes, there was a fair crowd at last weeks Tranent v Whitburn game, but a lot were neutrals, and there were a lot more than the 40-50 that was stated on another thread through from Whitburn.

And let's not forget the Tranent glory hunters/fair weather supporters. I didn't see many of them at the corresponding game earlier in the season. Every team has there share of them.

Talbot played Tranent early in the season, they had a big support and you could tell the community would not need much encouragement to get behind the team. They have something dozens of Junior clubs don't have, a genuine interest from the town and surrounding area, good luck to them.

The Tranent community haven't given a great deal for the club for a good number of years and don't see that changing anytime soon.

Talbot played Tranent early in the season, they had a big support and you could tell the community would not need much encouragement to get behind the team. They have something dozens of Junior clubs don't have, a genuine interest from the town and surrounding area, good luck to them.

The Tranent community haven't given a great deal for the club for a good number of years and don't see that changing anytime soon.

That's changing bud. U must have seen that on Saturday with the amount of people at the game. There was about 100 supporters away to Dunbar and we will take about 150 away to Rosyth next week. Why the negativity about Tranent? Why can't it be a good thing that a junior club is doing good and getting a better support? Would u rather 2 men and a dog were at the game? Surely not!! Was great to see Whitburn with a good travelling support.

That's changing bud. U must have seen that on Saturday with the amount of people at the game. There was about 100 supporters away to Dunbar and we will take about 150 away to Rosyth next week. Why the negativity about Tranent? Why can't it be a good thing that a junior club is doing good and getting a better support? Would u rather 2 men and a dog were at the game? Surely not!! Was great to see Whitburn with a good travelling support.

What's a typical turnout - say for the visit of a Fauldhouse or Stoneyburn?

Tranent v Bonnyrigg or dundonald in the quarter final of the Fife and Lothians at home. Surely not another game with potential for 500 plus at it. What's whitburns biggest crowd of the season?

When Blackburn played there earlier in the season I estimated about 120 (that would have inc committee's as well).

It's good to see the people of Tranent coming back to support the team, hopefully they stick with them as they nearly lost the club through apathy. Larger Juniors crowds are a good thing I would have thought!

To be fair drawing auchinleck in the cup made a lot of the community take a look at Tranent again and realise all the good work that has been done this season and they have came out to support us since then. We are averaging about 150-200 for most games since then but had a couple over that number. We had about 4-500 against Whitburn. If Bonnyrigg get through I would expect at least 500 at that game aswell.

When Blackburn played there earlier in the season I estimated about 120 (that would have inc committee's as well).

It's good to see the people of Tranent coming back to support the team, hopefully they stick with them as they nearly lost the club through apathy. Larger Juniors crowds are a good thing I would have thought!

Your right and hopefully they do stick with us. It's a complete turnaround at the club but u can't do it on your own. U need the support of the locals. With a better team comes bigger games and bigger crowds so it will hopefully progress more next season aswell

In the heyday of junior football Glasgow junior clubs like Peasy,Ashfield,Shettleston,The Bens would attract massive support but that big factor alone has almost entirely dropped away from City clubs-due to many factors of being based in a large urban environment and regaining that local interest really is a massive challenge.

Cracking post Troon Fc,don't worry about the thread verging on vanity,the whole forum gave up 'verging' years ago,and never apologise for upsetting people! That only leads them to believing that their opinions were important in the first place.

Glenafton Athletic - Lugar Boswell Thistle - Burghead Thistle(?)- Lossiemouth Utd(not juniors) - Every Aberdeen based outfit ever - Auchinleck Talbot- Kirkintilloch Rob Roy - Kilsyth Rangers - Cambuslang Rangers - Rutherglen Glencairn - Troon F.C.- Cumnock Juniors F.C. - Kilbirnie Ladeside.

Too many to name ,and some of them surprise me,but these are my top biggest clubs of all time...some of them because they were team's most feared by my father back in the day when I first started watching Talbot...and some of them where I have either witnessed,or have been the recipient of, unconditional acts of true kindness.

Is 'Brighty' the scaffolder fae Kilbirnie still on the go? I think the name was a euphemism...and in an other not unrelated matter...can anyone remember the 'glamorous' couple pictured and remarked upon, in a thread, after a Scottish Cup Final at Livi I think? A work mate is trying to get a copy of a photo of said happy couple,apparently they were both painted up like Talbot Pictish warriors,and she was a wee stoater?

No apologies for going off reservation...

bright Mullen is still on the go,great guy

• 4 weeks later...

Kilby ... They took Celtic to a close game in the big Scottish ... so its probably them.

Junior?

Is that the Lowland League team St Roch's beat 3-0 in a friendly two weeks before they played Celtic.

Archived